1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Some light reading...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by TittyKitty, Jul 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

I think the Beastmaster TV show was closer though.

Wheel of Time Season 1 beats a lot of that though. It was BAD. ANd the following should tell you how bad:

It was the first thing I saw that was so "woke" I was yelling back "enough of the inclusive crap". I am about to Wheel of Time rant so if you dont want book spoilers anyone? move on.

Issue is this. The books. The Dragon is a MALE. Always was. Always will be. Because the male half of the One Power (their magic) was tainted in a previous cycle. But the first words spoken in the show were an explaination that ended with "The Dragon has been born. We need to find who He or SHE is.". But the source? It cant be a she as the female half is untainted. So the female users wont go mad. And that is a PRETTY FUCKING CENTRAL plot point that the Dragon has to thread that line between winning and going insane first. But Rafe Judkins was intent on "gender equality". He give one of Rand's BIG moments to one of the females already. Made Mat's Dad. One of the FUCKING HEROES of a later book, who was the 2nd best with a bow and best with a quarterstaff in books into a drunken abusive lecher. I am (joke) working on the summoning spell to bring Robert Jordan's ghost back to haunt Rafe.

A note on Rafe. He tanked a Conan show because it was too toxic Masculine and didnt have enough "female equality".

MilaHot likes this.
  2. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

I'm kinda tired of all the Woke stuff.
    Even the new Predator movie sucks... Not because the movie is bad, but because its all about "woman are good, men are bad" and, worse, they make the bad guys in the movie being French trappers (while the French settlers were the only one being nice with the Natives) and all the people in the tribe of the girl are assholes 'cause they are guys.
    I'm a girl, and I'm all for a movie with a girl main character. But I want the character to be well written, not to be built to say "fuck men, Girl Powa"
    That's just crap

Gracui, Incs and Dane like this.
  3. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

I haven't seen or read the Wheel of Time so I'll have to take your word for it.

But The Beastmaster, the book the main character is Amerindian not European. He is ex-military Ranger who had an animal reconnaissance team during an interstellar war. He arrives on the world his father lives on in a starship. He uses anti-grav vehicles to travel around. His main weapons are laser guns. That's a bit different from the movies or tv series.

4. buffyfan

Well lets agree the series is better than the movie, by like a lot......?

5. buffyfan

So to summarize. Buffy The Vampire Slayer. An organic female lead. Not contrived.

6. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Top female action star movies; (no particular order)

Kill Bill
    Wonder Woman
    Laura Croft
    Atomic Blond
    Underworld
    V for Vendetta
    Nikita
    Resident Evil
    Hannah
    The Villainess
    SALT
    Black Widow
    and who could ever forget; Alien

7. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Agree except for 1 --"2001 -A Space Odyssey".

That was a good movie, even after reading the book. It just took 2-3 more times of watching it to get how the
    screenplay adaptation was done.

Now, with that said. The screenplay of Clark's "2010- Odyssey Two" was a fucking horrible adaptation.
    (imho, one of the worst movies with Roy Scheider-and he did some pretty crappy ones)

8. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

I say Alien (Ellen Ripley) is the number one, she's the OG Strong Female, and the best one. Its a well written character, that evolves through the movie, and in the other movies. She's not a Mary Sue. That's why she is a GOOD strong female character and not a toxic one like in so many new movies

9. buffyfan

I meant the show. Buffy the Movie was a shit show of blonde ditz cheerleader. Joss fixed it a half a decade later for TV.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2022
    Dane and MilaHot like this.
  10. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

There are MANY strong female characters, even if Woke jerks say there are none. Its just that they want to blame the world because they feel bad and want everyone to feel as miserable as they feel

Dane and DadDave like this.
  11. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Ummm. Sigourney Weaver was the star.

upload_2022-8-15_18-51-43.png

MilaHot likes this.
  12. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

She is my FAVORITE female character in any sci fi and/or horror movies :)

Dane likes this.
  13. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Well, the pic we guys all like...................

upload_2022-8-15_18-54-31.png

14. Neophyte

You should add:
    The Professional
    Angel of Death
    Lady Dragon
    Colombiana
    Scream
    Friday the 13th
    Red Sonya
    Lady Bloodfight
    Jackie Brown
    Lucy
    Flying Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    The Grudge

15. buffyfan

Iffy on Leon: The Professional. As much as I love me some Natty (and knew her back then, friends went to HS with her), she was a scared child till very late. For a Nattie movie? V is much better.

On the rest I agree to a point. Grudge does not necessitate a female per se. If you change gender? Not much changes. Ju-On is better than The Grudge. We add too much "Warning music" to our horror.

16. Neophyte

I agree that some movies, it doesn't make much difference if you change the gender of the lead, just these happen to be female.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.