1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

How much Real Science is there in the science of climate change?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by Lustingmom1, May 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

Immigrants can be allowed to work in this area using a work exchange program. It would be by government supervision and exploitation of low cost immigrant labor can be monitored. The use of these laborers can be limited to areas that would not destabilize the countries economy. But there are always some goody two shoes that will demand that the immigrant workers not be taken advantage of.

allison17 likes this.
  2. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

Right. Because owners in low paying jobs have consistently been proven to be so honest. I never ever (except I did) sat in on restaurant owners in NYC and elsewhere in NY who got caught telling waitstaff to lie and say they made more than min wage on their taxes or be fired for making him make up his legally REQUIRED difference if they do not.

But know how I keep the Union out of my places? I PAY MORE THAN THEY CAN OFFER. I tell my people this. "Join. But if you do we start from SCRATCH not from what you currently make." I pay them an average of 17 an hour plus tips to bartenders. 12 plus tip to waitstaff and 12 flat to kitchen. Then you can earn raises over time. And they never side with the Union. I have been sued many times by the Food Workers Union. My people come in and testify that there is little chance the union can score them a net of more after dues. The only place i see a need for Unions (ON PAY) is Gov workers. Do you really want the teachers, Police, Fire, etc. at the mercy of "LET THEM TAKE A PAY CUT! I DEMAND A LARGE TAX CUT EVERY YEAR!"? That is why we do not get the old quality of teachers there. Because the bad dont get weeded out fast (due to layer upon layer to get them gone) and the people who would do good do not want to enter a job where base pay is usually 40% less than it was, adjusted, 30 years ago. Due to the "TAXES MUST FALL! EVERY YEAR! NO MATTER WHAT!" movement.

Also. We can free up money right quick to pay more. You need a principal. Not a Principal, three VICES and 14 DEANS. The Admins have gotten totally bloated.

3. allison17

allison17 Trusted.Member

Good for you Buff,you go dude. Thumbs up to you. ;):)

4. buffyfan

I pay well. But there are no games. If you suck, you go. There are 8 other people who want that good pay.

allison17 likes this.
  5. allison17

allison17 Trusted.Member

Most of them work real hard in fact they make the whole family work and still make a lot more than where they came from. If it wasn't for them we could not afford to buy produce and fruit and that I am serious about.

6. annab2

annab2 Trusted Member"It ain't pretty being easy!"

Our Jim is an Engineer (Mechanical/Robotics/Metallurgy!) So, I am used to analytical thinking, everything can be proven and explained mathematically and be established through formulae to the "nth degree!" Our Jim says that the polarity of the Earth changes gradually every ten thousand, or so years and that the Earth is well overdue for the changing of polarity by 4,oo0 years or so! (He gave me the statistics, formulation, and diagrams, but this really isn't something that is in my "Wheelhouse!" So, pardon my lack of narrative in trying to explain it to anyone else!) I will suffice in saying this, there is abundant research in this area, done by accredited Scientists, so there is a historical, current, and predictable "REAL Science" that shows the aforementioned record of systemic "Polarity Change!" Evidently, we are just drawing straws, fomented by the "Folly of Man!" A human belief that we humans are the root... or center of all things is a bit presumptuous at best! Ahem! ...The Earth will always warm up, prior to changing into the next "Ice Age! Our Jim says, "Just follow the research!" This won't happen overnight, so your progeny will be SAFE, for the time being! "Geomagnetic Reversal" are the keywords to find up to date information about this purely physical phenomenon. We could still be a few thousand, or a couple of hundred years away from the upheaval and chaotic supervene, before it actually takes place. Because we are talking about Geologic Time, and we normally count our time by the hour!

Yeppers, Tectonic plate movement, the drifting of continents, earthquakes, ridiculous changes in the weather, volcanic eruptions, the blockage of Sunlight, all of it, thousands, tens of thousands, and perhaps even hundreds of thousand years before the Earth settles back down enough before any kind of a population can begin to flourish once again. My advice is to enjoy your life, family, and toys while you are still able to! Remember to tell your loved ones, that you love them! :)

allison17 likes this.
  7. allison17

allison17 Trusted.Member

I can believe that. One question though did a meteorite cause the ice age?

annab2 likes this.
  8. Neophyte

Short answer "No".
    Long answer, major asteroids, like the one that is believed to have destroyed the dinosaurs, occurs on average about once every 150 million years. Very large asteroids that would cause a lot of damage but not cause massive extinctions occur about every 20 million years, large asteroids that might destroy an entire city about once every 50,000 years. Even the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs did not cause an Ice Age. It cause major cooling and blocked a lot of solar radiation for an estimated 2 years, but after that the climate returned to a relative normal state. Recent Ice Ages occur about every 1,000,000 years and can last for 50,000 years. The last ice age occurred about 30,000 years ago and should end in another 20,000 years. During this time the ice caps should expand and retreat as various climate factors vary. At this time the climate is in a phase where the ice caps are retreating most of the time. The normal state of the earth is that the northern Ice Cap does not exist, the current northern Ice Cap is a recent occurrence.

allison17 likes this.
  9. allison17

allison17 Trusted.Member

Thank you, I meant asteroids instead of meteorite.. That is what I was taught in school that a large asteroid hit the earth and destroyed everything. So much for school. :confused:

Neophyte likes this.
  10. buffyfan

But the long answer includes a "It contributes" if I remember. It was a "factor" not "the cause". A large one could possibly create a cloud (similar to what a LARGE nuke would) in the upper atmosphere. That would hinder some sun entry. It would be far from permanent though.

Neophyte and allison17 like this.
  11. allison17

allison17 Trusted.Member

Lets say there is no sun for a week do to clouds hit by an asteroid would that cause an ice age all over the earth?

12. Neophyte

The dinosaur killer was bigger than all the nukes from all the countries on earth several times over.

allison17 likes this.
  13. Neophyte

The biggest nuclear bomb ever made was the equivalent of 50 megatons of tnt, the asteroid that destroyed the dinosaurs was the equivalent of 10,000,000 megatons of tnt. If you added up all the nuclear weapons owned by every country together the total would be 15,000 mega tons of tnt. If 10,000,000 megaton blast did not cause an ice age, then 1 nuclear bomb won't either.

allison17 likes this.
  14. allison17

allison17 Trusted.Member

Where did it hit? it had to have left a hole as big as the grand canyon?

Neophyte likes this.
  15. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

In the Gulf of Mexico just off the Yucatan

Neophyte likes this.
  16. allison17

allison17 Trusted.Member

Ahh so it filled up with water,makes since because the earth is 70% water.

17. annab2

annab2 Trusted Member"It ain't pretty being easy!"

That would be highly inaccurate, as the "Ice Age" was created by the Earth's own propensity! Which is part and parcel of the Earth's Geological documented history! Scientific testing has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that there have been many "Ice Ages!" o_O

allison17 likes this.
  18. buffyfan

Grand Canyon was carved, if I remember, by the melt of a major ice age

annab2 and allison17 like this.
  19. allison17

allison17 Trusted.Member

I figured a giant deep river once went through it but that is just a guess.

annab2 likes this.
  20. Neophyte

The river that carved the Grand Canyon (Colorado River) is about the same size, it just took a very long time. Just dig a little at a time and eventually you'll have a big hole.

annab2 and allison17 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.