1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

How much Real Science is there in the science of climate change?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by Lustingmom1, May 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

Coal has many advantages to oil and natural gas, in terms of availability, safety in shipping and storage of reserves. But in the long term, it should be phased out. The problem was, is that we are not ready yet to phase it out. It takes planning and long term preparation to get off of using coal. What Obama did was push the country into the deep end of the pool and yelled learn to swim, then stood back and watch the country start drowning. Solar and wind is still too expensive and the needed solar and wind farms had not been built yet because they are too expensive. I've read some articles that claim that the disparity in generation cost are comparable, but if you look closely at the breakdown they give credits to solar and wind and add cost penalties to coal. Without these government offsets coal is 1/3 the cost of solar and wind and if you remove the regulations coal would be 1/5 the cost of solar and wind. This is getting off topic of coal mining jobs but there is more to the economics than some mining jobs.

allison17 likes this.
  2. allison17

allison17 Trusted.Member

Thank you very much now on with the convo. I did not pick you out personally.It was for everyone.

Now everyone can be nice and civil to each other in their replies. Have a wonderful day. :)

3. Antares

Antares The Famous LTD Doggie

I am not the least bit interested in the economics of the situation. I merely put forth the idea of the "Quiet Sun" something we have seen happen for generations. In its most simplistic terms when the sun goes quiet it get cold and since 2014 we have seen a steady decrease in solar activity. Now how long this lasts or how quiet the sun goes we don't know. But the longer activity remains quiet the colder its going to get up to and including a major Ice Age. This wipes out the idea of any global warming being fact. Its not.

allison17 likes this.
  4. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

Raise a glass to Fake Science !

Global Warming Vodka.jpg

allison17 and Antares like this.
  5. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

We established pages ago that, based on degree, I defer your better knowledge in this subject. Hence why I posed a side question to the group.

allison17 likes this.
  6. Neophyte

Don't forget the previous Pseudo Science scare of Ozone Depletion. They said you needed to get rid of all aerosol sprays and stop using air conditioning.

allison17 and Insp Gadget like this.
  7. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

Just old enough to remember that one.

allison17, Insp Gadget and Neophyte like this.
  8. Insp Gadget

There must be dozens of them - and as long as there's a society which is becoming increasingly less science literate, there will be hordes who believe in them and plenty of scammers to take advantage.

My favourite is the millennial-era 'Out of Africa' Theory - that supposedly we are all the progeny of one African mother !

Yep, like for sure that's what happened. :D

allison17 and Neophyte like this.
  9. Antares

Well that is the world's super problem in genealogy now isn't it. You solve that one and people doing family research will be flocking to your door?

humm do they have doors in Africa? Ever see a door on a hut? So I guess Adam and Eve lived in a hut? So who built the hut? Africa Huts Inc.?

allison17 likes this.
  10. Antares

If you look really closely at that bottle it says..."Manufactured and produced by Belgian Monks."

11. Neophyte

I've heard that theory, it was found that all humans share a single common mitochondrial DNA sequence. And mitochondrial DNA is passed down from your mother. Since everyone has the same mitochondrial DNA sequence we must be the decendent of a single human female. Interesting theory but can't be proven definitively with our current science.

12. Insp Gadget

I wouldn't wait up for the late-breaking news announcement if I were you ... BS.gif . :D

Social science is simply not science - they just call it that to make it sound believable.

allison17 and Neophyte like this.
  13. Neophyte

I didn't mean any of the social sciences. I meant we don't know enough about the origins of human mDNA to say its from one female. Its genetics, which is a hard science.

14. Insp Gadget

Yes, I get that. But increasingly, hard science is being skewed to legitimize social agendas.

There are a handful of 'Great Lies' out there (the 'Big Bang' is one of them, btw) and people buy into them out of faith, essentially. Too many of us are afraid of science and math (poor teaching of simple things, imo) and too trustful of those who claim to be experts.

allison17 likes this.
  15. allison17

allison17 Trusted.Member

I am interested in a full eclipse like the one coming up. I know the Moon does cover the sun completly but can you tell if it gets cooler in that short time period?

Insp Gadget likes this.
  16. Neophyte

I believe someone said, the best lie contains a grain of truth. What a lot of these activists do is take a scientific fact then expand it to create an agenda. One case is, it is a fact that all humans have a single common mDNA sequence, but then they take that fact and create a complete pseudo science theory to support their agenda. Same is true in these other cases, Climate Change, Ozone Depletion and others. They take a known fact and then fabricate an entire so called science around it. There is possibility that what they are saying may be true, but since most of the information was made up, their theory cannot be trusted.

allison17 likes this.
  17. Neophyte

The length of the eclipse is too short for a significant drop in temperature. The moons shadow will only cover a specific area for a few minutes. Since the sun won't be shining directly on you, it will feel like the temperature has dropped, but the ambient temperature around you will remain the same. For example, wind chill, when the wind is blowing on you it feels like its cooler, but the actual temperature around you stays the same.

Antares and allison17 like this.
  18. allison17

allison17 Trusted.Member

Okies dokies thank you my friend. :)

Neophyte likes this.
  19. Insp Gadget

A marvellous thought, my dear. And in fact, even if the eclipse were to be clouded over where you are - get out there and experience it anyway !

The sky will grow dark as night at an alarming rate. The breezes will swirl and change direction. And yes, you will feel the temperature drop.

The wildlife (birds especially) will start chattering in confusion about what's going on. I saw one way back in my school days, and I was visiting a farm at the time - the birds all flew off to roost ! And then a few minutes later, when the sunlight starts coming back- you should have heard them screeching - "WTF - I just got to sleep ?!" - it was something to experience, for sure.

Clear skies ...

allison17 likes this.
  20. allison17

allison17 Trusted.Member

OH yes I will be watching. I hope it is not cloudy that night. I am almost in the center where it can be seen the best. :)

Insp Gadget likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.