1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

What is it with Old People lately?!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by buffyfan, May 24, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

What I mean by that is why do they feel the world OWES them something?

So I am in court this afternoon (rare lately, I usually oversee the peon associates and they go to trial), special client, special case. In the abstract. Old man being sued for hitting one of my employees with his cane and injuring the employee (dont F with my people. We are Legion, we are many!). We won with EASE. As we exited the court, it was me, the employee (not tay or my daughter, they would both be on trial for manslaughter not suing), Red (for those new that is what I call my wife, a five foot ball of ginger fire) and one of the BILs. Old man comes at me and gets in my face blathering about how "in my day elders would have been apologized to and the employee fired for mouthing off!" and threatened me. Security does not even flinch. Here is why. An 85 year old man, all of 5'3 and bent at the back, is getting loud with me, just short of 6' and had to have 110 lbs on him. Wife, who they know personally and would roll him. BIL, 6'5 former HS and College line backer. Wife pops in and says to him "Attack us, in front of security. I dare you. But hope to hell they get here before anyone defends. Those three WARM UP benching more than you. And I am the more dangerous one. Move. On. You lost.". He kept verbally, but smartly backed off threatening us with crap like "I served and I can kick all your asses!". In then end I was done and he followed us. At the door I just said to security. "Done" and the moment he followed us out he was detained.

So again I ask this. Why. Do. Old. People. Not. Get. It. You are not special.

Dirtydaddy1974 likes this.
  2. TittyKitty

TittyKitty Communudist Catgirl

I feel like this is some sort of senility rather than (or perhaps combined with) entitlement.

I think "in their day" there was a deference to old people that doesn't exist now, and they feel entitled to that because they honored it in their time, regardless of the justness of their actions. The world has changed, and we are no longer ageist against young people and old people are no longer THE LAW... We have laws for EVERYONE now.

I mean, we always did, but society has changed... and I am quite happy being treated as an equal regardless of my age, thankyou. <3

3. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

I think this is the wrong question. I think it should be "What's wrong with people lately".

4. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Being older, I can answer with some assurety.

The age of people a half-generation older than me is where it started, as I was in the teachings too.

We are the "ME" generation. WIIFM ("why-f.m." is how it's read) "What's In It For Me".

We were taught in school, especially college and the work place, that one does not do anything UNLESS they get
    something back out of it.

How many older guys do you know, If they do you a favor, they want another in return, but usually bigger?
    They are a product of WIIFM generation.

Now a lot of us were raised NOT to be like that, so that mentality didn't stick. But a lot of those, when younger,
    had no good parental role model to follow. The afternoon TV taught them how to act.

So with what they were taught later in life stuck, and they have been that way their whole life.
    It's more noticeable now because there are so fucking many of us!
    13,000 people a day turn 65 in the USA.
    In a few years, there will be more of those over 65 than under 65. A first in this countries history.

61dad and hornybozo like this.
  5. hornybozo

hornybozo Trusted Member

I am 75 and a disabled Vietnam vet. In my time, right after dirt was invented, I probably could have kick some ass. Combat kind of changes one's attitude. I did serve to protect the masses right to free speech and Constitutional rights. HOWEVER, I dont go around throwing these things in peoples face. It isnt necessary and dose my brothers no good. I appologize for the old gezzer's behavior and hope you dont have to deal with him again. Some folks are really into themselves.

Brutus58 and TittyKitty like this.
  6. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Please don't apologize for some ass hole's behavior. Concerning him, you'd have to do that probably 10 times a day.

They just Don't Give A Fuck what you or anyone else thinks about them. They will expect others to accommodate their wishes
    just because they are a Senior Citizen.

I have all respect for any Senior Citizen, unless they act like they deserve my respect without earning or doing anything
    to be respected for.
    Butting in line because they are on a scooter- bullshit! I am disabled too, I wait my turn like everyone else.

Jumping in front of the line to pay your restaurant tab- and claim it's OK cause you tell everyone waiting "I'm a Senior with exact change". BS again! Yes, those were her exact words.
    ( I told the cashier "Don't you touch her money, she can get in line with the rest of us!" (got some "yeah, that's right" out of
    a couple in line too.))

I'm right near Medicare age too. Just over a year to go. So I am not some young guy spouting off about older people.

The elderly are self-centered and have a don't-give-a-shit attitude and they have taught their kids, who are now adults
    with that ideology. That is why as @Neophyte stated, it's all people, it's just that the elderly has seem to have perfected
    selfishness.

TittyKitty likes this.
  7. buffyfan

I live in a town of like 214 people..........

That said? He is not even banned from the bars.......

8. buffyfan

I will add to that, the people who think like that, who are not old, tend to know to keep it to their-selves more often.

9. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

I disagree. The number of young people who think they are entitled is phenomenal. Look at all Antifa members, tens thousands of young people who feel entitled and willing to destroy society to get it. And you are just talking about one.

Brutus58 likes this.
  10. TittyKitty

Ooh now we've got onto a whole nother politic.

Destroy society! Yeah! Rebuild from scratch with justified morals rather than traditions and prejudice! The world sucks let's make a new one!
    Let's go Communism 2.0!
    (In case this sounds like a parody, I ACTUALLY AM all in favour of these things) ;-p

UA3688 and Rubber duck 2 like this.
  11. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Oh, it will happen, sooner than you think. BUT, it won't be anything like you think.

Rubber duck 2 likes this.
  12. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

It never is.

Dane likes this.
  13. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

I'm 64 years old and don't feel the world owes me a thing. Was not raised that way. But the youngsters today DO FEEL THAT WAY. That is what they were TAUGHT in school, from kindergarden all the way through college (regardless of degree).

LuckyDuck and Dane like this.
  14. buffyfan

Yeah. Because the old people complaining about "disrespect" does not totally boil down to, more often than not, "I told someone younger to do something...... when I was their age...... does not matter if they have to listen to me....... in my day". In the end? Unless they work for you? Or are YOUR KID under YOUR ROOF? They owe you no "proper respect due my age". They can question you. If they have a degree in the subject and you do not? They likely do know more about it than you. Especially in fields like Science, Medicine, Law. There are MANY older people who think that "my age minus theirs is a POSITIVE number. Therefore I am right. You have a DEGREE? I raised a FAMILY!".

On that last one? I shit you not. I know old people who claim they know more than I ever will about CRIMINAL TRIAL LAW because they "are older than me". Every. One? Were plumbers, welders or housewives.

Brutus58 and Dane like this.
  15. buffyfan

I said this many times but with other things that people focused on. "True Progressives" lost their war in 2016. They pouted, sat out, and "taught lessons". Now there is a USSC that disagrees with them is in the majority. And they are throwing new fits. Because? Their "progress" is being reversed. The decision (and I reserve the right to change my view when the official comes down, if there are changes to it)? States Rights. I will reserve my issue with "states rights" vs laws being passed now to another thread (give me a little because that one will start with a bit of a rant).

I showed one? I could write hours on the entitled old people I have seen in my 43 years. Some highlights.

Old man gets arrested because he was beating his grandchild in a Macy's because the FIVE YEAR OLD would not sit quietly while he "read his papers". Multiple. For an afternoon. Daughter explicitly told him he was not to take her to the store for his "Routine" and expect a * year old to sit quietly for his routine.

Old man who actually assaulted me for not holding a door for 10 minutes while he waddled up the block.

Grandmother who demanded I not PRACTICE LAW and instead work RETAIL because her Uncle did and made a great living (He died around the mid DEPRESSION).

The fact we have phrases like "they are from a different time" and "stuck in their ways and routines".

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2022
  16. TittyKitty

There's a fallacy to this argument that poses a single example against a group.

The consensus is increasingly clear here that there are large numbers of shitheads of ALL ages and some of them might be us, whether we realise it or not. ;)

17. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

Problem is Old people thinking that the world belongs to them because they were there first, and the Younger people thinking that the world should change to be like they want it to be.
    Conservatives vs Wokes.

Rubber duck 2 likes this.
  18. hornybozo

hornybozo Trusted Member

Guess I'm out of step. Seventy five and certainly don't think the world belongs to me. Dont know where you're getting your info?

19. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

its not all older people that are like that, but some are. Just like its not all younger folk that are Woke, but some are

Rubber duck 2 and Dane like this.
  20. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

I think it's more of the old think they were the ones who brought about a great "culture change for the better" and
    to the chagrin of the generation before them.
    Just like the younger generation is bringing about a "great culture change for the better" much to the chagrin of
    the older generation now.

But everyone who is in their "right and sane" mind, no matter their age, knows that the Woke are a bunch of idiots.

Rubber duck 2, JandO and Brutus58 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.