1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

What is it with Old People lately?!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by buffyfan, May 24, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

I've heard that the cost of running any restaurant are separated into three categories. One is employee salaries, two cost of foods and supplies, and three cost of the facilities and utilities. Since the main source of income is the sale of food, increases in any one of the three, will cause an increase in food sale price.

Brutus58 likes this.
  2. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

I don't own a buisness, but that seems to be "common sense".

3. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

These are not mature workers (over 20), these are under 20 and they just don't want to work. The ones over 20 he is retaining and they
    quickly jump up into management, but they are all females. Figure that one out!?

The only thing I can think of is they have known nothing but all of these social give-away programs that have been increasing since the
    Obama era and for some reason they retain that thought process into the work realm.

Neophyte and Brutus58 like this.
  4. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

One of the more difficult part in "overhead" category (utilities, rent, etc) is trying to budget for maintinance and repair.
    Cost of insurance for lost sales (hurricane/flood/fire etc.) needs to be factored in too, but it is the un-expected break-down
    that can eat up months worth of profits.

So your #3 is the hardest to estimate, thereby the hardest to factor in. Over-priced meals to cover what an owner prepares
    for can be one of the quickest go-out-of-business reasons.

buffyfan, Brutus58 and Neophyte like this.
  5. happycamper

happycamper Account Deleted

In the end, what happened to giving seniors that level of respect? I honor and respect my seniors, some do not. Some look past that because they want to pay the gardener. Not looking to "instigate" as some might say, but setting a point as to why things are the way they are in this present day and age. It's a day and age of instant gratification and entitlement. I pay the local kids to cut my grass because why the fuck not? I was once there. I'm an under water welder, keep my shit short.

6. TittyKitty

TittyKitty Communudist Catgirl

What happened was that we realised that EVERYONE deserves the same level of respect.

There are those of us that respect young and old alike, but there are (and have always been) those who respect no-one. :(

7. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

I respect everyone equally regardless of age or sex or race, just because they are human beings. Disrespect me and I'll disrespect you right back.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
    happycamper likes this.
  8. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

Which is why I broke out the increase in cost of salary, the largest component. 1. Salaries. 2. Food/supplies. 3. Facilities and Utilities.

1 is a variable cost.

2. Is a variable cost. But one completely uneffected by payroll

3. Is generally a more "fixed cost". And also not effected by payroll.

Giving raises does not raise your rent or prop taxes. Giving raises at YOUR location does not make your supplies price rise. Mostly I used that example as more of a "paying them 15 does not raise the price by whatever the raise was". Same way that rent/mortgage/Prop Taxes do not require you to raise each item by what they rose by. All costs are distributed over items sold, except raw mats as that is the built in cost of the item itself. Even utilities. If the electric bill goes up by 15 dollars and the gas bill 20 in a month? You dont raise prices, usually, by 35 dollars each item. You raise by 35/Number of items sold per month.

Dane likes this.
  9. buffyfan

Kitty's point is that there are older people who think they are OWED respect due to age alone and they can act as they please. But WILL get "proper respect or else". The ones you hear tell "kids" that "No one owes you anything!". Then minutes later piss and moan that young people dont give them the "respect I am DUE as their ELDER".

I had an old man start hitting me with his cane because I did not hold a restaurant door open. For the 6 minutes it took him to waddle half a block.

Dane likes this.
  10. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

I get your point, I hope you get mine. "Golden Rule" - treat others as you would want them to treat your self.

11. buffyfan

Absolutely. People get respect until the moment they show otherwise.

The problem though is that we still live in a minor Gerontocracy. Look at the usual Majority/Minority Leaders. If the Rs take the Senate? Will someone like Ted or Hawley? Or will they hand it right back to the 80 year old man. When the Ds took control of each house? Were young people considered? No. They looked at the list of the 4-5 most "Senior" members. I even sat through a Democrat Club meeting 15 years ago where the old people told anyone under 60 to "sit down, shut up and listen to the wise voices" while they decided "who's turn" it is to be on the ballot as the next most senior in line. BTW the outcome of that one? Was 2 of the younger pushing their "chosen" into a primary. To the tune of 2 losses for the "chosen". And close to half of a a Town Council were now under 30.

Dane and Brutus58 like this.
  12. Star_of_sea

Star_of_sea Collector of ephemeral moments.

I think that in these cases it is not about being older or younger, but about people who have had power for many years and do not want to lose it and their excuse is wisdom, but in reality they want to continue to have power and may feel that young people are a threat to their power.

13. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

That is the best insight so far about the elderly in positions of power!

A position of authority is their "Geritol".

14. buffyfan

But if you cant run for an office till 30, have been there for 20-30 years. That puts you in your 50s or 60s minimum. The age for Senate is a bad decision by people that tried a little too hard to model us after the Roman Republic in the end.

Do I want Hawley or Cruz in that position? No. Do I find it concerning that national decisions are being made by a group, where ONE person can make them have a 60% majority to vote on anything, that consists of one person total under 40, 12 total under 50, 31 under 60. So 69% of the Senate is between 60-87. And any one can throw a crotchity fit and stop the works. Imagine your grandmother or grandfather being able to veto all family decisions unless almost 2/3 of the total family wants it.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
    Star_of_sea likes this.
  15. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Geritol!?!?!? Do they even make that anymore? I could use it.

16. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

That's how it was in the "old country" according to my parents. Grandparents ruled. Many cultures bend down to the "village elders" who make the decisions for the entire village.

17. buffyfan

I actually watched Asian parents try it on my friend Jen. Chinese Parents. Owned a yogurt store. It did well in the "Frozen Yogurt Craze" 90s and early 2000s. Jen was out of Med school and in practice by then. Doing well (a great Cardio/Thor surgeon). Married another Asian. By then her parents were struggling. She bought the store from them and her MBA future-husband got it back in shape and modernized the model. Let them run it and draw their 49% of the profit. Then came the wedding. Straight our of r/Entitled Parents. Jen and her husband planned it all, paying for it all. Enter her parents who were calling caterers and making changes based on THEIR TRADITIONS. Tried to move venue based on THEIR TRADITIONS. Tried to change the ceremony to THEIR TRADITIONS. She told them in no uncertain terms that if they did not stop she was shuttering the store and selling the property (the magic of 51%). They called her bluff. She sold it. Through her I heard the fallout. They freaked out and kept referencing the "Old Country". She went full A Knights Tale end scene on them. "You have been weighed. You have been measured. And you have absolutely been found wanting. Welcome to the New World. God save you, if it is right he do so.". Then left the room and in total hilarious? Started horse galloping yelling "WILIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!". Look up that scene on youtube. She said the last crazy was hella cathartic.

Brutus58 likes this.
  18. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Been there, done that or more accurately "Been there, experienced that". Maybe a mix of the two.

19. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

You know, maybe 500 years ago that system might have worked.

But these days most of us don't live in a fucking village.

Dane, MilaHot and Brutus58 like this.
  20. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

Haven't we all?

Dane and Brutus58 like this.
  21. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

You would be amazed at how many people STILL live in villages even now. From isolated villages in south america to any country that ends in "stan". Might as well include Iraq and Iran.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.