1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Conspiracy theories

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by MilaHot, Oct 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

A human mind is not much different to a computer.

We are born with a processor, a virtually blank hard drive and little programming. Time and education provide the programming, life starts to fill up the hard drive, and for a while the processor handles it well.
    But we reach a peak where there is valuable data in the hard drive, the programming is still relatively current, and the processor is functioning well. It's all downhill from there.

As time goes by, the processor starts to fail. The data becomes out of date, the programs got superseded and we didn't get the upgrade. What data the hard drive contains that might be of value is useless when the processor can't remember where it put it, or it's relevance in today's context in the odd event it does retrieve it.

That a person may have accumulated knowledge (data) over a lifetime doesn't guarantee wisdom. Wisdom would be putting that knowledge to some use, instead of sitting back and pontificating and criticizing anything a person under a certain age would put forward.

I like old people. I have on many occasions had to care for them, to be sympathetic to their situation. To be with them when they pass on.

The beauty of a forum is that on here we don't have to put up with that nonsense.

2. TittyKitty

TittyKitty Communudist Catgirl

Whoever designed my system must have had really weird priorities. I've got a top-end processor, but such a tiny hard drive that the only way it stays useful is to be constantly deleting data, replacing it with only what seems the most current or most immediately useful. Most of my programming is optimised around this process, and contains references to how to find and re-download missing data. There's only a tiny slice of historical storage accumulated in the code section. That's not a good place to access it, but it would get deleted otherwise.

My processor is even multi-threaded! but in practice that's just causing more contention for resources ;)

Dane likes this.
  3. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

A person with no accumulated knowledge does guarantee ignorance. Why argue for a position that is clearly wrong. A society run the way you envision will fail every time. Things will just get worse until you have a complete societal failure. Just look around you.

4. TittyKitty

The problem here is not the ignorance, but the argument.
    In practice, only a baby has NO accumulated knowledge... the difference is primarily whether you accept the experience of others.

I have looked around me at a society that doesn't do things my way and that is evidence NOT doing things my way is bad.

Now if only we could agree to try things my way and get the same result, there would be basis for the argument! ;)

pussycat likes this.
  5. pussycat

I look around, at MY society, and I see that yes, it has it's problems. But I see that it is a forward thinking, progressive society, and it is doing quite well, despite the threats and influences from outside of it. It is coping, and I am happy and proud to be a part of it.

I look at other societies, mostly that of our southern neighbor, with distaste, mixed with a dose of pity. But that's about it, I really don't give a shit, unless and until their childish nonsense starts spilling over our border.

Incs and TittyKitty like this.
  6. Neophyte

What way did I argue for. I just stated a fact, as you get older, you gain more experience, and you get wiser. What way is that an argument that you should follow.

7. TittyKitty

I thought I was talking about argument in the abstract... but it is unwise to include "and you get wiser" in your list of facts when it is the very thing being argued. :)

8. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

Sorry man. You use all they key words. "Cant find their way out of......"? Code for "they cant tune their own engine. Change their own tires. Change their own oil.". Tittykitty is right. You are starting from a "well age gains you experience and therefore wisdom, so..........". Problem is? A PHD in Economics likely does know more about it, at graduation than Maude the Housewife from the 1960s who "lived and experienced and therefore gained WISDOM in the form of LIFE EXPERIENCE". Simply because? Nations and Corporations? Hell Joe's Corner Store? Works different than her "household budget for years". Doctor knows more than that housewife. They are trained in medicine. Her "life experience" and "gave birth to......" does not negate that. The sheer, shocking amount of older people who die because they "know better than that kid they call a doctor" is staggering. And while we are there. Rand Paul? The proof you dont "gain wisdom over the years" is not even a competent doctor anymore. Simply because for decades he refused to do CPE and just formed his own certification group that........ "certifies you and does not require you do any CPE. Just be you and let the "market decide".". Just like his Dad. They OBGYN the Conservatives held up as an "expert" on all things economic. Anyone remember why he was all but made to stop running, Ron I mean. Might be the "The Police, Fire Department and Military should be administered by a private corporation that only tacitly answers to the government.".

Wisdom does not come from age. It comes from BASE Education in a subject growing over the years. Not just "years of life experiences that shape what I think I know about things".

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
    MilaHot likes this.
  9. TittyKitty

Woah hold up a second....

While we might have some similar viewpoints, I don't think I'm comfortable being *right*.

I'm a blatant lefty, after all!

I'd rather be wrong and have the moral high ground! ;-P

MilaHot likes this.
  10. Neophyte

Does the PHD in Economics know more than his grade school self. Does the PHD know more than his self 10 years later after working in his field. You are saying this just picked orange taste more like an orange than a ripen apple.

11. Neophyte

That was a very old metaphor, used to denote someone's intelligence. Had nothing to do with age.

12. buffyfan

No. What people keep telling you is that the person with the PHD in Economics knows more about Economics than a housewife, regardless of age. You keep countering with "but she has WISDOM". She does not. Because, no matter how much we want to "common man is the greatest!"? And guys tuning their engine on Sat afternoon in every driveway? It is not true and those days are gone. A Law Grad knows more about the law and courts than a Housewife. Does not matter how many years she lived. Life Experience means nothing in the context of who knows more about the subject. An Economist knows more than a housewife, because no matter how many "household budgets" she has done? That is ultra micro economics. And has no application in the actual Economic World. Because the world functions on Macro Economics. Not "My HOUSEHOLD BUDGETS".

Now two people with the same degree? Experience matters. Not "she has a PHD in LIFE".

Incs likes this.
  13. Neophyte

You are conflating education with wisdom. Yes a PHD in Econ will know about Econ that an older housewife, but having a PHD doesn't make him wise. Would that PHD know how to run a household and take care of a family as the housewife would. Thinking education means wisdom, is an elitist way of thinking. Education doesn't equate to Wisdom. And the original argument was with age comes wisdom. Are you wise, were you wise when you were young. Are you wiser now than you were when you were getting your education. If age doesn't bring wisdom, then you would not learn anything. Are you as wise as you will ever be in your entire life.

14. TittyKitty

I have certainly known young people who I would consider so. They would be unlikely to get into an argument like this with poor definitions and high emotions. ;-b

What, indeed, do we even mean by "Wise"?

A quick google for "wise definition" shows that even dictionaries don't seem to have consistent definitions of this word, although "exercising or showing sound judgment" is often referenced.

Some of the definitions are intrinsically tied to knowledge... Some to life experience... and some make no connection at all, instead focussing on outcome of action, as above.

Even a single dictionary can have multiple of these as possible interpretations.

Perhaps "wisdom", like "beauty", is best left in the eye of the beholder, and not argued about or insisted upon. ;)

15. buffyfan

And our counter argument is this. That thinking has become "I have wisdom that came with age! You have a degree in the subject! My WISDOM means I know more about it than you. No. I never studied it. But my LIFE EXPERIENCE means I know more about medicine." or other such subjects. Much of the wisdom, pre Gen X? IME. Comes from what their parents and grandparents taught them because their parents and grandparents taught them. I have Doctor friends who have heard this from Baby Boomer parents. "Tell my kid I am right about getting a cold by not wearing SOCKS in the house when it is cold out!". Dr? "Virus, so unless it is getting in through open wounds on their feet? No, it does not.". Parent? "What do you know? My Grandmother told me........ and she is WISE. Everyone knows it is true!".

I, personally, have to hold back close to once a week lately the urge to tell people, young and old, that "no. The fact the "law" reads that does not mean you will prevail in court. Here is why. Juries.........." and then go into the trial prep and trial procedure seminar lectures. That is the difference between "life experience of reading and hearing people tell you what the law says" and, a literal Trial Procedures Summer Seminar.

In the end? Wisdom that "comes with age" is far from absolute. And becomes useless in specific knowledge situations unless you studied and practiced that for years. A PHD in Economics who has worked in the field for 10 years? Has more knowledge and wisdom on the subject than both a brand new PHD and a housewife.

BTW. Most Economics PHDs? Yes. They could financially run a household, cold, as well. Most Housewives have no shot running a large corporation, cold. Running a nation financially? Not a shot.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  16. pussycat

Especially when standing in front of a mirror. :cool:

Incs likes this.
  17. Neophyte

If most Economic PhD's can run a household, why do we have runaway inflation. Education does not equate to Wisdom.

Can a college educated person be wise, yes they can. Can a college educated person be stupid, yes they can. Can a non-college educated person be wise, yes they can. Can a non-college educated person be stupid, yes they can.

Are you implying that the college educated person is superior to the non-college educated person. Also are you implying that a person, as they get older never learns to make better decisions. Can one person, as they get older, get wiser. I would say yes. They a large group, as they get older, should get wiser too. Can individuals in that group have differing levels of wisdom, yes. Can individuals in that same group, have differing levels of education, yes.

18. Neophyte

19. TittyKitty

that sounded like pretty much what I said. :)

20. Neophyte

No it wasn't. Look again and listen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.