1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

What is it with Old People lately?!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by buffyfan, May 24, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

I have seen this happen a number of times.
    Being in the business 30+ years, more than 90% of those who get a license and "try" their hand in Insurance Sales soon find
    out that very few really want to work that hard and drop out of the industry.

My first 10 years, over 60 hours a week was needed just to "start" my business. The next 15 years were more in the 40-45 hours
    building upon the base I built.
    The last 5-7 years, on average 20-25 hours a week. I was able to semi-retire at age 58.
    But I paid my dues to get here.

Those first ten years were grueling. Almost no one wants to put in the time/effort. It is surprisingly difficult and these recruiters entice
    those wanting to get into the business with a spiel about how, if they follow these simple-to-reach goals, they will be earning $1000+
    a week.

Knowing full well that 98% of the recruits will fail and the agency Owner will absorb into their own book of business what business
    the newbie wrote. Thereby building their own book-of-business at the expense of the time and effort of those who were gullible to
    believe their promises.

It happens every time there is a drawback of troops out of a foreign country, or a downturn in the economy.
    The pandemic was that downturn, and as soon as the recession hits, there will be another influx of recruits.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2022
    Odette and Brutus58 like this.
  2. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

I would like to hear about all the people you know, that took the stimulus check and bought beer or other alcohol and sat down and played video games. I'm sure the number who did was far greater than the ones that did something useful.

Odette and Brutus58 like this.
  3. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

What got me that every single person earning $75,000 a year, and couples earning $112,500 quailfied for the whole amount of $2,400.

Everyone I know with those incomes ( and even less) put the money into their savings and did nothing extra to stimulate the economy.

Really, if you are a couple earning 6 figures, that was nothing but icing on the cake.

A disabed person on very limited income received the same.
    Those of my clients tried to get caught up on their bills, some told me they went to grocery store and bought the groceries they wanted
    instead of only the bare minimum they needed. One couple even told me they had all but forgotten what name-brand foods tasted like as
    they had only bought store-brand for so long.

Our politicians are so fucking out of touch with the reality of day-to-day living pay-check-to-paycheck.

(The only one I thought had a clue at all was Obama when he pushed (and failed) to get the federal minimum wage limit to $10)

But as Neo pointed out about the beer. Yeah, well maybe it was to give them a break of worrying about everything for a while.

TittyKitty and Odette like this.
  4. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

Most of the people I know who did that didnt "get the license and hang their shingle". They went to work as assistants at places like Marsh, Hub International, B&G Group (who is now owned by Hub), Sterling, etc. Those places start you around 23 an hour as an assistant. It is not about "starting your own business". I know people I graduated with, who work at Hub now and are making hundreds of thousands. Without working 60 hour weeks building a business from the ground up. Sometimes? It really is better to work for someone else rather than have the feather of "Started a business all on my own". But for an offer from FiL? Me, Red and everyone would likely be working for big firms.

5. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

No argument there, I was only pointing out what I have seen first hand.
    These insurance recruiters put the Army recruiters to shame when concealing the truth about what you are getting into.

6. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Also, that applies in your field also.
    My sister retired 15 years ago, as a para.
    No need to pass the bar, she retired earnings $70,000 a year for the prior 6 or 7 years. Putting all of it in the bank as her husband worked for the utilities company making 6 figures himself.
    Now retired in Florida with a few million in the bank.

7. buffyfan

I made 90 grand at the AUSA and like 65 at the NYC DA. That was less than 4 years out of law and right out. Again, it is about hanging a shingle or working for others.

Note that was the early 2000s.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    Dane likes this.
  8. buffyfan

Also want to point out, I am of the mind I dont need the prestige of my "name on the sign". The firm? Is the *Wife's maiden name* firm. Why? The only full equity partners left are me, her, her three brothers. And we didnt want to do a "name name name name name and mine" and make it seem like a new firm.

TittyKitty and Dane like this.
  9. Neophyte

Thinking back to when I was younger, old people now act pretty much the same as old people then. You have the friendly grandmother types, the old crotchety types, the forgetful story tellers, the same then as they are now. What I find disturbing is the number of young people who are self centered, disrespectful, and entitled. There were some young folks like that in my time, but it seems to me the number of those type of young are growing rapidly. Back in my day, if someone wanted to go to college, the parents would open a college fund account early and save up to send their children to college. Now it seems fewer are doing that, and the people just want to get Student Loans, and get the Government to relieve the debt. Back then to teach about the value of a dollar, they got an allowance and if they ran out and needed more, they didn't get anymore, or they had to do something extra in chores or something to get more. Now a day's they treat their parents like magical atm's and by proxy the government. They don't want to work for it, they just want it given to them for free. And not just money, they want respect given to them for free and not to work for it. More and more young people say "I demand respect", than old people demanding the same.

Dane likes this.
  10. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

About the younger generation;

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up everything good at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

Socrates -- around 490 BC.

TittyKitty, Odette and Neophyte like this.
  11. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

But isn't the American constitution about "rising against tyrants" stuff? If the parents or older people act like tyrants, its the young folks' duty to rise against 'em.

12. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

I think you missed the part of the quote that reads;

“-----. Children are now tyrants, -----,

So you are saying the children should rise up against the children?

Odette likes this.
  13. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

People should rise against Tyranny, no matter if its tyranny led by older people or younger ones.
    And I can tell you that most of the tyrants known in the world today are not kids, they are older people. Like Putin. Staline too was an older one, Hitler. Trump, too.
    Older people, that thought 'they knew better' than anyone

Dane likes this.
  14. Odette

Odette No one can convey what they do not feel

In the classic sense of a tyrant, Trump is not a tyrant, because he is subject to the laws and to free votes in a democratic country that gave him power. A tyrant has no limitations on his power, he destroys the opposition and, most importantly, he stays in power continuously and illegally, changing laws to stay in power.

Parents are not tyrants, on the contrary, they have a very great responsibility and that is to educate some people, their children who arrive in this world with a blank mind and who can be easily influenced, so parents must give them the necessary mechanisms to , when they are alone in the street, know how to act in the circumstances that they live. We cannot equate tyranny with education, much less in parents who always want the good for their children. Maybe those children who want a lot of freedom and don't want the rules of their parents, but when time passes is when you understand that these rules have always been necessary. To say that parents should not impose rules because it is tyranny and that children should rebel against parents, is to have some children and then some citizens who think that there are no rules and that they can do what they want as if in anarchy. The problem today is that parents are no longer parents, now they are friends with their children and that is a mistake.

A part of my work is with children and not all of them lack education. There are many who are educated, but what people criticize is always what is done wrong. I also have teenagers but at that age what happens is that they give importance to everything that is not important and they don't focus, but all they need is a bit of rules, to be strict with them and they accept it very well. And among older people it is very varied, there are those who respect my knowledge of music and others who think that at my age I have nothing to teach them, it also happens with my co-workers, much older than me. Ta, well it happens to me on dad's farm. That is why I think that it is not just a question of age, but of the education they have received at home at any age and also of what they think society owes them, some think that they owe them nothing and are very pleasant and others think that they have given too much to society and expected a greater reward and that in their old age makes them surly.

Dane, LuckyDuck and Athenea like this.
  15. buffyfan

On that. My daughter was lucky enough and my younger will be too, that I can pay for theirs as needed.

On relief? I stand by the following. Programs were offered, and "servicers" played games and claimed someone didnt file a form and denied it happened even if the borrower had proof they did. The government needs to make right on that. The programs I reference? Are not Payment assistance because you cant pay. It is "Doing something for us means we do something for you". Someone came out of school with a Law Degree, passed the Bar, then went to work at the DA, AUSA, Public Defender's office. They pay for 10 years, stay in that job/field meaning a lawyer for a City/State/Fed, and dont miss a payment. The government clears some or all of the remaining for 10 years of service to the government. Someone with an accounting degree goes to the City/State comptroller, certain jobs at IRS and Treasury? Same deal. The servicers played games. They didnt want to lose another 10-20 years of their fee for handling it. Those people? The government should make good. I personally also think that the servicers should go. 2% of the interest tends to be for Company X to take payment and pass it along to Dept of Education. Why not just have people pay DoE and pay 2% less interest. That would help many, so much. And all it does is take an un-needed middleman out.

TittyKitty likes this.
  16. buffyfan

In my experience, a slice of the people criticizing what is done wrong? Turns out to be "I did this a certain way for 20 years. This KID comes in and says there is a better way, instead of sitting down, shutting up and doing it my way, like I did for years.". IME those tend to be people who did it with Pen and Paper and the "kid" suggests that they dont need SIX physical copies. Or that you dont need to write out AR accounts on paper with a carbon between other sheets and can just do it on excel, and can actually Macro the whole process sometimes. But the older person does not want to learn that. They want to do it their way. To them "the RIGHT WAY". And, again IME, that person tends to end up working for the "kid" before they retire because the "kid" streamlined the process, went around his equal (but the equal thinks their time seniority means the kid WORKS FOR THEM), and talked to management. And the resent that the promotion did not go the most "senior person".

Dane likes this.
  17. Neophyte

Whether or not a person listens to suggestions have a lot to do with how you tell them. If an older person says do it this way because I do, that will get rebellion. If a younger person says to an older person, you're out of touch and old fashion, well it probably won't be taken well. There are ways of using tact to offer ideas to the other to get them to listen and there will be times when the other will come back with, that won't work because of this. It can take several polite exchanges to come up with an agreement. There are some older people who refuse to change and a lot of younger people who think they know better, and refuse to accept.

18. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Very well put/said of just common sense way of dealing with it.

Odette likes this.
  19. Odette

Odette No one can convey what they do not feel

When those older people started working in that place, things would also change and the older people who were in that place at that time would think the same of them. We also have evolution, it is necessary to evolve, a company, an office, a person, a country, a music must know how to evolve and adapt to new technologies. If a company has several offices in several countries and used to travel for a meeting and now it is done by Skype, it is an obligation to adapt. Fortunately, this evolution exists, otherwise society would not have changed its lifestyle or its politics or anything. It is almost necessary that the new generations bring about changes, have new perspectives, different approaches radically different from previous times, otherwise there will be no evolution, good or bad. It happens to me with dad, on the farm, my ideas are very impulsive and dad's more serene, but we have found that area of connection where we talk about everything and we have reasons for our ideas. The classic is not bad nor is the modern bad, the only bad thing is not wanting to evolve because then it is not those young people, nor society, nor technology, but it is the older people themselves who are left behind in evolution. But it's easy to blame the young.

pussycat and Brutus58 like this.
  20. buffyfan

I agree. But a lot of the "Kids these days are lazy at work" I have seen? Is just what I said. They are "lazy" because they dont want to do it the "old fashioned way".

Brutus58 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.