1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Religion

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by MilaHot, Apr 9, 2022.

1. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

The gnostics predate the cathars by about 1000 years. :D

MilaHot likes this.
  2. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

Don't they all?

raven1, Incs and MilaHot like this.
  3. Charles Fourier

Charles Fourier Proud incest advocate

True but catharism and some other religions (manicheism, bogomilism...) were influenced by gnostic ideas.

Also i was mainly using catharism as a exemple there can be a religion really decentralized without a true church or organisation.

4. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Please don't confuse, (or determine)
    Christian with Catholic.

Catholic has declared that they are the only true Christian, but that is incorrect.

Not all Christians are either Catholic or Protestant.
    The original Christian, at the beginning and to today are independent of any organized group.

It is the Catholics to whom you refer as the oppressor, not all Christians.

It is the Catholic church which has waged war against others, not Christians.

Elisabeth Jung likes this.
  5. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

I say Christians not just as Catholics. Protestants oppressed some people too. They all did. Orthodox did too. All branches of the Christian Faith did it.

6. Incs

Incs Account Deleted

I'm an atheist. I consider all religions man-made, false, and dangerous. Sure, I could be wrong about the existence of gods, just as about anything else. But the idea of god is as plausible to me as the existence of Santa Claus: not at all. That's why I call myself an atheist rather than agnostic. I'm not agnostic about the existence of Santa Claus, I actually believe this being does not exist. The same is true for gods. There is no evidence for their existence, but plenty of evidence that humans made them up: out of ignorance, out of fear, or to deceive others to gain power and money. Religions play a major role in creating authoritarian regimes. They might one day become the downfall of mankind.

7. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

That is true, but the Protestants did not wage murderous war against whole nations like the RCC did.
    There were, and still are, Protestant groups who oppress their own and others they have control over.

Please understand that the Christian church is not just Catholic and Protestant. The Independent Christian churches have been
    around since the ascention of Jesus Christ. The Independent is not Protestant. They never "protested" against the RCC as they
    were never part of, and still not part of, organized religion.
    (Note, some if the Independents churches have banded together in the past 2 centuries, thereby establishing an organized
    religion. Two different ones. The Conservative Baptist and the American Baptist. But the remaining independent churches
    have refused to join, and rightfully so.)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2022
  8. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

The Spanish lost a good portion of their fleet over "Who is the true religion". Henry VIII said England is no longer Catholic based. Mary changed back. Elizabeth the I back again. Spain sent a fleet that was taken by a storm. Elizabeth the I took that as a sign "God favors us". The individuals, for centuries, waged war at the beckon of a Pope. All those MONARCHS with ARMIES could have told him to pound sand. Did not. So the Church only had the power the Christian Flock gave them.

Dane likes this.
  9. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

Religions bring more troubles than it solves

Incs, raven1 and Charles Fourier like this.
  10. Star_of_sea

Star_of_sea Collector of ephemeral moments.

Could you elaborate on that statement, please? Could you provide concrete cases of the evils of the Catholic Church? But from the present day, let's not go back centuries, we are in the year 2022. If you are a person who studies history, you know that the essential rule is not to extract ancient events from their historical, social and moral context and judge them by today's society and laws. If we do not do so, this would be a situation of madness, there is no country that from today's perspective of laws, does not deserve to be condemned for its past, no country at all.

Axl69 likes this.
  11. Charles Fourier

Charles Fourier Proud incest advocate

Another time, nobody's talking about catholic church but you immediatly jump on it.

Incs likes this.
  12. buffyfan

Want one? OK. Catholic Priests sexually abusing minors. Coverup and "shift them around" and "payoff with NDA". How about the Diocese I used to live in. With TENS OF MILLIONS in assets? Are filing for "bankruptcy" to limit the building lawsuits.

13. Star_of_sea

We have already dealt with this issue. Honestly, it's a bit boring to have to keep repeating the same thing.

1) If a priest abuses minors he should pay for it, but not be lynched, he should be judged. So any of us, if we were accused of a crime, would demand a fair trial, not a lynching. The Pope himself has apologised and acknowledged the problem. And there are many trials taking place on that issue. But everyone wants a lynching and that should not be allowed.

2) What must be avoided at all costs is to generalise this attitude among all priests, which is happening and many people want it to be that way. There is also child abuse among teachers and nobody has the idea of closing all the schools in the world and accusing all the teachers in the world of abusing their pupils because a group of teachers abuse their pupils. Nobody would say that the family should be eliminated because there are parents who abuse their children and therefore the figure of the father, mother and siblings should be eliminated worldwide because a group of parents and siblings abuse their minor relatives. It should be investigated which priests have had such an attitude and be brought to trial, just as it should be investigated only the teachers and parents who are accused of abuse.

3) Abuse is a criminal offence, although civil remedies can be sought. The basic difference is that in criminal proceedings the defendant is liable with his freedom and in civil proceedings with his money. At the very least, these priests should go to prison, if some trickery has been used to avoid facing the civil liability for the illegal act, then, at least in Spain, a new trial for fraudulent bankruptcy should be brought.

Axl69 likes this.
  14. Star_of_sea

If I read correctly you said religions and within that group is the Catholic religion, I only asked for clarification about a specific religion. It is as if he said that all cars have mechanical problems and I asked him what mechanical problems Fords have. It would be a different matter if Milahot said that all religions create more problems than they solve and I asked him why he doesn't like to travel by plane. It could also be that Milahot said that all religions except Catholicism cause more problems than they solve, then I would understand your input, your complaint. But if you said religions in general, I don't see the problem with asking for clarification about a particular religion, it is within your statement.

15. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

the Rwanda genocide, the Church had many critics about that one
    and I never said that "all religions are bad except catholics", nor the contrary. I said that ALL religions are bad lol

Incs, Charles Fourier and Star_of_sea like this.
  16. Star_of_sea

Yes, on that point I have to agree with you, the actions of the Church in Rwanda were completely immoral and indecent and I agree with you. The Church itself has already apologised and several priests have been tried. But I fully agree with you, those riffraff, those scoundrels had an action that should be judged first by men and pay for their crime and then, if they really believe in Hell, they deserve it for all eternity with the worst punishments and the most infinite pain they can suffer for all eternity. On that particular point, I admit, I agree with you, I think exactly as you do.

17. buffyfan

1. Release ALL THE NAMES right now of everyone that was accused, found to have and moved. Who CARES that the Pope APOLOGIZED that it happened. He is still hiding who did what. He can make it right by selling all the gold and jewels and Renaissance Art his PALACE has to compensate the victims. The problem is? He can "apologize" while the Arch Bishops who REALLY run things now continue on the same way.

In addition until the Pope says that he authorizes localities to break the seal of the confessional on these things? Nothing changed. It happens again? They will "confess" knowing it is sealed and therefore protected under the 1st Amendment. Until other priests who DON'T REPORT IT to the authorities can be prosecuted? And they report it IMMEDIATELY to the POLICE, not to the Bishop to "decide how to proceed"? It is not fixed.

2. Teachers. Are. Fired. When. It. Is. Found. Out. Not MOVED to another school in another state. There were people who were moved 20+ times in their life to "protect the church".

3. Statute of Limitations on criminal cases. US DAs are AFRAID to push the Church in any way. New fact about me that turned me from the Prosecutor side to the "Dark Side" of Defense. Left the NYC DA when I was told to let a Priest case go because they did not want to get into a fight with Bishop Dolan, so just let it go. Left the AUSA for political tomfoolery that I think I am still under NDA for 8 more years.

The Bankruptcy was already granted. I quote "if we dont grant this? the diocese may get so many judgements so large against them they may not be able to survive and continue to have churches!".

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
  18. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

I disagree 100% but....

Just a bullet for your gun if you want one,Mila. and for @Star_of_sea , not about the RCC.

Said one atheist to another;
    " I never saw a Baptist minister, who upon coming out of one of the flock's house, wasn't either picking his teeth, or zipping his pants".

19. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

in what do you disagree? Don't just say "I disagree" but explain lol

Dane and Charles Fourier like this.
  20. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

I was disagreeing on the "all religions are bad".

It is not the religion itself per say, but some bad apples that have to try to prove to the world they are the "right" kind of member in their church, synagogue, or temple.

The Catholics who have to berate all other Christians because they aren't Catholic, so therefore they aren't Christians.

Protestants who have to berate the Catholics for their Saints and the the Mass being just a "ritual".

The Baptist who claim that no body but them are going to Heaven, and are more than glad to tell you that.

The LGBTQ+ groups (yeah-i deem that a religion of sorts) who have to push their beliefs that even all, no matter their age,
    need to declare that everyone except what they do, and push that you are a "hater" .

The Muslims who think it's their god's will that they kill everyone who won't convert to their beliefs.

The Hindi who believe karma is an excuse to do wrongful acts against someone because it they had good karma, the victim wouldn't
    be in position to be taken advantage of.

The corporate CEO's who's worship of money (Capitalism is their religion) manifests a greed that destroys peoples livelihood
    all in order to gain riches that they could never spend.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In the contrast, "good religion beliefs are;
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

The good Catholics, they have a deep belief in their doctrine, and are willing to share it if you ask.

The good Protestants, they understand if it wasn't for Martin Luther, their doctrine came from a Catholic base.

The good Baptists who understand that all who believe in the deity of Christ is to be celebrated with all Christians,
    Catholic, Protestant, whoever, are Brothers and Sisters in the Family of Christ and rejoice with them all.

The good LBGTQ+ who understand that they don't have to preach to the world that they like sex with the same gender.

The good Muslims who understand that they will live a more peaceful life within themselves if they do the correct
    jihad, which is the one they have personally in order to make themselves a better person.

The good Hindi, who wants to do as much good as they can so their own karma allows them to reach a higher, better
    level of existence.

The good Corporate CEO/business owner who understands that everyone benefits, including the company, if the employees
    are paid a good wage and do what they can to keep moral high.