1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Religion

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by MilaHot, Apr 9, 2022.

1. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

What is your opinion on religion in general? Not asking about a particular one, it can be about any religion. And don't insult the people believing, just say what you think in a polite way lol

Odette and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Charles Fourier

Charles Fourier Proud incest advocate

I'm atheist, but i don't care about people religion, i think people can believe what they want in private. As long as they don't try to prozelitize, to use impose me their beliefs or practise, that's not my problem. Still, i think that world would be better without religions as they often caused war (even the most recent in Ukraine is partially religion based) and also because they tend to persecute LGBT+ and people like us who have minority sexualities.

Freak4U, Incs, whitecoffee1 and 2 others like this.
  3. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

Not just sexual minorities are persecuted.
    Those with ethnic minorities too are persecuted. Often on the base of religion

4. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

Just a word of caution here, but if we are going to go down this rabbit hole, keep it polite and theoretical, and be mindful of our rules of conduct, please.

Dannykinz, amiraj and Incs like this.
  5. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

Yup, that's what I wrote in the first post; to not insult people and be respectful :D

AnonymousB2022, Incs and pussycat like this.
  6. pussycat

For the benefit of those who haven't been party to these discussions before, I am not an athiest, although I am often accused of being one. An athiest believes there is no God.
    I am more properly defined as being an agnostic, in that I have no idea if there is a God or not. And I really couldn't care less if there is or isn't one (or many). I could make a good argument either way. But this isn't about God, it's about religion, which is an entirely different subject.

I despise organized religions. I think they are the worst invention in the history of mankind. They were invented as a means to control the masses, and they very effectively do, until they cause a war.

To me, the only religious text worth the paper is Gulliver's Travels.

7. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

I am pretty much the same. I do think there could be a divine being, but I don't know who or what he/she/they is/are.
    Its religion I do not believe in, as its made by Humans, and Humans make mistakes

8. whitecoffee1

whitecoffee1 Moderator Staff Member

An atheist doesn't necessarily say/claim there is no god. They are simply not convinced that there is one. Most atheists are open to the possibility. The others say "No way that there is a god."

You get accused of being an atheist because you are one. You say you are an agnostic? Being agnostic about what? agnostic is just an adjective.

The fitting term for you would be "agnostic atheist"

@Dane for example is a "gnostic theist". He is convinced there is a god. Not just any god. He thinks of a particular one.

Then there are also "agnostic theists" who say for example: "There must be a god, but I am not sure who that is or even if he's the only one.

Finally there are "gnostic atheist" who actually claim that there is no god.

9. Charles Fourier

Still in terms of etymology it means exactly that: in ancient greek "theos" means god and "a" is a negating prefix so literally "no god".

whitecoffee1 likes this.
  10. whitecoffee1

whitecoffee1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes, but also "without god".

11. Oedipus the King

Oedipus the King Account Deleted

Its fine as a private thing, but it should stay out of politics.

People should be free to practice religion, and free to not practice religion.

12. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

I second that.
    That is why the Quebec made laws to keep religions (all of them) out of politics and power positions. Yet, some of the modern "Woke" want to say its racist, that it targets "some religions", when in fact its about ALL religion

13. pussycat

The "gnostics", or "those who know" to use my definition of the term, almost get my vote. They subscribed to the idea that people could believe in something without having someone else tell them what to believe. In other words, religion without the institution of religion. Unfortunately gnosticism evolved into a religion of it's own and defeated it's own purpose, not to mention the christian church tried to exterminate them.

But if "gnostic" means "I know" (my accepted definition), then "agnostic" means "I don't know", which is me, and therefore why I prefer that term for myself.

Whitecoffee's definitions are agreed upon by some, but not by me. Neither of us are right or wrong, it's just how you interpret the term. To me, "athiest" means "no God". So I use "agnostic".

(I find it amusing the spell check keeps highlighting my lack of capitol letters - it's deliberate.)

whitecoffee1 and MilaHot like this.
  14. pussycat

I have tried to explain to my US friends, here and elsewhere, the difference between our two Countries.

Americans have freedom of religion. In Canada we have freedom from religion.

(and for the record, I am 100% in agreement with what Quebec did regarding the religious symbols, I wish we would do it)

15. Charles Fourier

Cathars weren't as much a organized religion in the sense you give to it i think.

Being atheist in America still come with some discriminations, so there isn't really freedom to not believe, that's a problem we europeans or canadians don't have.

Elisabeth Jung, whitecoffee1 and Incs like this.
  16. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

I don't think she was talking about the Cathars lol

17. Charles Fourier

Gnostic is a word that's link to cathars between other religions.

18. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

not necessarily. We can say Cathars are gnostics, but not all gnostics are Cathars :p

19. Charles Fourier

Yeah that's why i state "between other religions" hehe.

20. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

I also think its ironic that the Christians became an oppressive religion after being oppressed. It should have teach them to be more "open minded" with other groups. But no.. as soon as they rose to power, they just butchered their way higher in the hierarchy

Elisabeth Jung likes this.