1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Even a Priest?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by longing4sis, Feb 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longing4sis

longing4sis Trusted Member

You know enough is enough when you read about a priest saying something like this.

Priest tells anti-Trump protesters to commit suicide
    By Caroll Alvarado and Billie Shears

untitled.png
    The pastor of a largely immigrant Catholic church in Queens has a suggestion for his anti-Trump parishioners: Go take a flying leap off the nearest building.
    “Show your hate for Trump. Do it for social justice. #JumpAgainstTrump,” read a meme posted by the Rev. Philip Pizzo just hours after he celebrated Sunday Mass.
    The message included an illustration of a man plummeting from a skyscraper.
    The conservative priest, who oversees St. Benedict Joseph Labre Roman Catholic Church in Richmond Hill, previously posted a photo of President Obama with the words “He’s not my president’’ and another snapshot of Hillary Clinton titled “Ugly Face’’ in Italian along with “Happy Halloween.’’
    Pizzo, 67, told The Post on Monday that he just thought the “Jump Against Trump’’ meme was “funny.”
    “I do not promote suicide,’’ Pizzo insisted. “I’ve helped many people over the years, and it does not promote suicide. It was funny.”
    But some parishioners were outraged.
    “Suicide is not funny, plain and simple,” said Carlos Coburn, a congregant who once sought counseling from Pizzo because he was struggling with thoughts about killing himself.
    Coburn said he has attended the church for 20 years but will start worshiping elsewhere, given the controversial posting.
    “It’s disturbing for someone in my situation,’’ Coburn said. “I know this man, he baptized me, and I don’t want to go back to his church.”
    Another parishioner said Pizzo “normally posts about supporting Trump, but this was just taking it too far.’’
    Alex Leston, who attended services at St. Benedict until three years ago — when Pizzo axed funding for a youth program he worked on — said he too was “appalled” by the meme.
    The priest’s social-media politicking is particularly troubling given the area’s large Hispanic immigrant population, according to Leston, who feels that the tone-deaf post shows how disconnected Pizzo is from his parishioners.
    “The parish he is supposed to be serving is mainly Latin American and Caribbean,” he said. “It’s not a good look for him.”
    A rep for the Diocese of Brooklyn said the post does not reflect the church’s stance and has been removed.
    “Father Pizzo did share the meme in question on his personal Facebook page,” said diocese spokesman Vito Formica.
    “He says he intended it as satire only, regrets the offense it has caused and has deleted it. This post does not, in any way, represent the view of the church.”
    On the day of President Trump’s inauguration, Pope Francis urged the new leader of the free world to uphold “the advancement of human dignity.”
    “At a time when our human family is beset by grave humanitarian crises demanding far-sighted and united political responses, I pray that our decisions will be guided by the rich spiritual and ethical values that have shaped the history of the American people,’’ the pontiff said.

annab2 likes this.
  2. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

So. In closing, to summarize the Church's response. "We recognize this was a bad thing. That said we will do nothing. We minimize this because we could lose our Tax Exempt otherwise." with an implied to many addition of 'And Trump Promises to strike the Johnson Amendment and then we can preach freely on Politics as we please and try to influence more "church friendly" candidates into office without paying any taxes".

3. Lustingmom1

Lustingmom1 I love my son and daughter

That is the main problem for the freedom of speech. It works!

Akbloke, annab2 and longing4sis like this.
  4. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. Churches have that. What they dont have is "Freedom of Speech while having Tax Exempt Status". Their 503c states no politics. They AGREED to that when they opened that Church location. They can waive that and do as they please. And please do. Because the moment Churches pay Property Taxes? Yours may go down. I use my town I grew up in as an example. RC Church? on 2 blocks of land, that is normally 15 houses, say. @ 11 grand EACH, the church sits on 165K of tax revenue land. Synagogues? Another 30 houses. Other churches, another 10 at least. Tax free means the landowners have to pay an additional 75*11000 or 825000 in taxes between them.

annab2 and longing4sis like this.
  5. winchester73

winchester73 Trusted.Member

I don't think this was a freedom of speech issue; it is a betrayal of ethics issue. Freedom of speech for a Catholic priest is an issue between him and the Pope; not the justice branch of any government. It is the church that did not censure this man for his spiritually treasonable behavior and this is a shocking revelation because the Catholics have stayed away from this edge for a century or more. I am not making heavy over the character of our government; I am dismayed by the lack of positive reaction by the body of the church itself. The issue of suicide is a core Catholic taboo. The man clearly refuses to acknowledge aberration in is behavior and the church did not react. There is an implication of a "different tolerance" and what we condone we encourage.

annab2 likes this.
  6. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

"what we condone we encourage"

I like that one, may I borrow it?

annab2 likes this.
  7. annab2

annab2 Trusted Member"It ain't pretty being easy!"

"Why has my God Forsaken Me?" Who says religious zealots don't have a sense of humor? It's nothing more than a coping mechanism, built into everyone, some people are gifted with an overabundance! :p;):rolleyes:

longing4sis likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.