1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

What's the Last Music Video that You've Watched #3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Neophyte, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

What's your favorite scene/song from the movie? It was meant to be an anti-war themed movie as the Vietnam war was raging. I like a few of the songs/scenes more than others. My wife does not like it at all. I have a copy of it which I watch at Easter. The only time I'm allowed. (Isn't love grand? SMILEY EMOJI)

Star_of_sea and whitecoffee1 like this.
  2. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

Have you seen and listened to Godspell or Hair. Both were Broadway Musicals made into movies like Jesus Christ Superstar.

3. Tokenredneck

Tokenredneck Trusted Member

I can be a bit of redneck. :)

whitecoffee1 likes this.
  4. Star_of_sea

Star_of_sea Collector of ephemeral moments.

I was completely unaware that the motif of this film was directly related to the Vietnam War. I understood it more as an up-to-date and very hippie interpretation, without ever disrespecting Catholic believers with it. For me it is a film that a Catholic and an agnostic could watch together, because the open ending presupposes that everyone can go on with their beliefs, so, in my opinion, the film ends at the right moment and with a question in the air to which everyone will find their own answer.

It is tremendously complicated for me to answer your question, because I like several scenes, for example when the High Priests, headed by Caiaphas, prepare the plot of the end of Jesus Christ on top of a scaffolding that represents a palace, I found it tremendously original and very nihilistic, the scene you have selected with the expression of the deep and pure feelings of Mary Magdalene, the second of my videos not only because of the dances, the clothes, the music, but because that scene represents a moment of joy, of illusion, of believing that the world can change when a person motivates you to do so. But perhaps I would go for the scene in which Jesus is being judged before Pilate, I think it is the most intense of the whole film, the climax of the whole plot, because it brings together a manipulated people, the fear of losing the power of the priests, the weakness of the powerful Pilate, the desperation of Mary Magdalene knowing that she will lose her love and the resigned acceptance of her destiny by Jesus, all that intensity captured in a very intense way, although I don't like when they scourge Jesus, too much violence, aggressiveness and sadism.

Brutus58 likes this.
  5. Star_of_sea

6. china99uk

china99uk Trusted.Member

7. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

8. Star_of_sea

1 person likes this.
  9. whitecoffee1

whitecoffee1 Moderator Staff Member

You can hear this song on almost every New Year's Eve Party in Germany.

Star_of_sea likes this.
  10. Star_of_sea

Well, that means two things, the first one is that in Germany they have an excellent taste in music and the second one means that I'm putting it on my list of future projects, to listen to that song in Germany at the end of the year, because I love the song, it's a pure energy rush, the best way to start the year. :):):):):):):):):):):):):)

11. Star_of_sea

"Godspell" if I know it, but I didn't particularly like it, I felt it was too extreme, it was too hippie, I mean, it's as if they had taken all the hippie myths, multiplied by 1,000,000 and written the script. It's hippie in exaggeration, I found it very artificial, forced in its hippie imagery and context. Unlike "Jesus Christ Superstar" which is an extremely hippie film, but that tendency is expressed in a simpler, more natural and pure state, without unnecessary ornaments, very basic everything, without exaggerations. Everything is very natural and you understand that that particular scene with that music, with those actors, with those clothes, with that dance should be like that, because otherwise it wouldn't make sense. It's what I mentioned in my previous contribution, a temple is represented with scaffolding, a palace with fragments of ruins... everything is simple and natural, pure, basic, the essence of the movement and the hippie mentality is sought, reducing it to its minimum expression, which manages to reach you with all its strength and intensity, this mentality and way of life.

I also know "Hair", I saw it a long time ago and I found it a very hard film with the war, the rebellion of the youth of an era against the established power with the only means they had at their disposal, to offer an alternative to a pre-established and forced way of life.

What is interesting to note is that both films have songs that today are true classics.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    Neophyte and (deleted member) like this.
  12. slisse

slisse Moderator Staff Member

13. Chris Harkness

Chris Harkness Account Deleted

14. whitecoffee1

15. Star_of_sea

16. whitecoffee1

17. Star_of_sea

18. ikarus69

ikarus69 New Member

Ich mag dieses Lied:
    I like this song:

Neophyte and whitecoffee1 like this.
  19. anathema

anathema Account Deleted

20. anathema

anathema Account Deleted

An absolute favourite