1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Restrict Act AKA "the TikTok ban"

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by UA3688, Mar 31, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UA3688

UA3688 Trusted Member

Basically it's basically the Patriot Act version 2-- where basically our internet privacy is being legislated against. It feels like it's just a way to make the activities that the NSA has been doing, legal. Basically what the US is claiming that China is wanting to do with TikTok-- it wants to do itself.

Introduced by a Democrat with support from both parties, I'm afraid it may pass. I think this is important to oppose regardless of political party affiliation-- unless you are a fan of some pretty serious hardcore authoritarianism.

I find the text of the bill fairly easy to read but if people need help interpreting it, I may drop by the thread again to see about potentially posting some highlights of the bill. Maybe some of y'all may want to post some things that seem either positive or negative in the comments.

Link:
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/senate-bill/686/text

2. Lian

Lian Friendly One

I am fine with banning TikTok. So many idiots use it, and do stupid things because of it. I am more than fine with it disappearing.

MartinV and Pat Hotter like this.
  3. Harrycon

Harrycon Trusted Member

if they ban Tiktok how will it take for another app the same as to appear but this time made by friends of the government and or elites

4. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

The problem is that Tiktok is already an App used by the Government and Elites, the CCP. The CCP uses data from Tiktok to modify their international interactions.

Lian likes this.
  5. Koomyboi

Koomyboi Trusted Member

It comes across, to me at least, as a response to the perception of "losing" Twitter with the huge dumps there have been of all the "requests" they made to Twitter before Musk bought it. Absolutely horrifying repercussions if (who am I kidding, when) it passes.

6. UA3688

UA3688 Trusted Member

They are calling it "a TikTok ban" when in fact it does so much more than that. It's meant to trick you into thinking that's what it's about when it isn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.