1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

1st Amendment

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by buffyfan, Apr 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoshuaMN

JoshuaMN Trusted.Member

I agree with your point on religion the right should exist but religion should not affect law.

As I am an Atheist who used to be a Christian. I believe people have the right to believe or not believe what ever they would like.

Brutus58 likes this.
  2. Dana_91

Dana_91 Trusted.Member

I was raised Catholic and because of my situation I won't be introducing our kids to it. I went to Catholic school and then public high school. All of the amendments int he constitution are yo allow freedoms but it stops when it infringes on others rights. If I'm allowed to execute my 1st amendment right but it causes you to not get that allowance then it isn't fair

Brutus58 likes this.
  3. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

Nudity tends to fall more on "equal protection under the law". My favorite one was the NYC case. Men could legally walk around with nothing waist up. Women had to cover. They sued finally. First court said "Well. Yes. That is unfair. But....... modesty........... traditional values................. different..........". Appeal? If I remember they did not even conference. Arguments closed and the panel, paraphrased as the other one, said "What? Seriously? He actually said that?! Either men have to be covered too, or women can be as uncovered legally as men. You can not have one law for each gender!". Topless lunchhour tanning was born. And the Spaghetti Monster said "Gooble Gobble Gee!".

Brutus58 and JoshuaMN like this.
  4. buffyfan

The Founders left England for nothing of the sort (Quakers did and they will come in in a moment). They left England and Holland weeks ahead of arrest and execution for attempting to SUPPLANT the State Religions with PURITANISM. The Quakers did leave with them for freedom. Fast Forward to Massachusetts colonies. The Puritans got what they wanted. A place where THEIR CHRISTIANITY was law. They shunned, punished and tortured QUAKERS for not following Puritanism. Quakers fled to other areas to get away from the PSYCHO Ultra Christians.

As to the "they meant Christianity"? Then why does the Treaty of Tripoli, passed by a mostly Founder Congress and signed by Adam Sr. say, in article 11:

Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen (Muslims); and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan (Mohammedan) nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

5. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

5 years later and we were at war.

6. justAthrow

justAthrow Trusted Member

This seems like a strange thread for this site

7. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Not at all!
    You will soon discover that ID is one of the most open and diverse forums on the web.
    And fun too!!!

Brutus58, JoshuaMN and justAthrow like this.
  8. buffyfan

T

None the less, they still clearly stated we were not FOUNDED ON CHRISTIANITY.

JoshuaMN and Brutus58 like this.
  9. buffyfan

Not really. Neo and some other will attest, this section has been strong on this site for a long time.

10. Herbsmithiii

Herbsmithiii Trusted Member

11. Herbsmithiii

12. Herbsmithiii

13. Herbsmithiii

• full text of the treaty may be found here.
    • All agree that there are vagaries involving the Arabic text of the treaty, which was translated into English by the American official, John Barlow. A Skeptical site now offline offered the following:

The Barlow translation is at best a poor attempt at a paraphrase or summary of the sense of the Arabic . . . . Most extraordinary (and wholly unexplained) is the fact that Article 11 of the Barlow translation, with its famous phrase, 'the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion,' does not exist at all [in the Arabic]. There is no Article 11 [in the Arabic]. The Arabic text which is between Articles 10 and 12 is in form a letter, crude and flamboyant and withal quite unimportant, from the Dey of Algiers to the Pasha of Tripoli. How that script came to be written and to be regarded, as in the Barlow translation, as Article 11 of the treaty as there written, is a mystery and seemingly must remain so. Nothing in the diplomatic correspondence of the time throws any light whatever on the point.
    • One Skeptical site counters that "[t]he 'substitute' page was not discovered until 1930; what happened to the treaty before that time is unknown. The Article, if it was originally in the Arabic version, could have been lost at any time between 1797 and 1930. And there is certainly no reason to assume that Article 11 wasn't in the original Arabic version: A Muslim nation would surely have welcomed Article 11 as an assurance of American intentions with respect to religion."

By the canons of textual criticism, this argument would be a non-starter: It is reminiscent of those who claim that early editions of the Gospel of Thomas could have existed and could have been lost anytime between 30 AD and the end of the second century, and true Thomist Christians would have welcomed it.

• The same site notes that, "When [James Leander] Cathcart, as the American Consul, arrived at Tripoli on April 5, 1799, . . . 'a ratified copy of the Treaty with Tripoli' [in the English language] was one of the enclosures with the instructions to Cathcart . . . very likely the ratification embraced the copy certified by Barlow under date of January 4, 1797, . . . [and] was delivered upon the settlement of April 10, 1799."
    • Noted rather quietly is the point that the Treaty of Tripoli "remained on the books for eight years, at which time the treaty was renegotiated, and Article 11 was dropped."
    With this information as groundwork, we can now boil down to two key issues.

• Did Article 11 belong in the treaty at all?
      The evidence seems to indicate that it did not, crude attempts at textual criticism notwithstanding. However, several Skeptical sites follow the lead of one linked above and say:

The fact which completely destroys [the religious right's] argument is that none of the Senators who read, accepted, approved, and ratified the Treaty could read Arabic. The official and only 1797 Treaty with Tripoli which was read, accepted, approved, and ratified by the Senate of the United States was the one penned by Joel Barlow in the English language. And, whether the so-called "religious right" revisionists like it or not, Article 11 of the official 1797 Treaty with Tripoli was in the Treaty in 1797 and is appropriately recorded in the official treaty book: "The government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion

14. Herbsmithiii

to two key issues.

• Did Article 11 belong in the treaty at all?
      The evidence seems to indicate that it did not, crude attempts at textual criticism notwithstanding. However, several Skeptical sites follow the lead of one linked above and say:

The fact which completely destroys [the religious right's] argument is that none of the Senators who read, accepted, approved, and ratified the Treaty could read Arabic. The official and only 1797 Treaty with Tripoli which was read, accepted, approved, and ratified by the Senate of the United States was the one penned by Joel Barlow in the English language. And, whether the so-called "religious right" revisionists like it or not, Article 11 of the official 1797 Treaty with Tripoli was in the Treaty in 1797 and is appropriately recorded in the official treaty book: "The government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.