1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Potentials and Pitfalls of Public News Broadcasting

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by Insp Gadget, May 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

Perhaps we could have a discussion on this topic, and we could all gain some insight. There must be unique differences between the approaches of different Countries to delivering public news, for example. Or a Country may have particular reasons why it would prefer not to have a public system.

My choice is for a public news broadcasting system to be freely available. And my main reason for preferring that model is that it keeps our differences within the family. So I may disagree with something that I see or hear on the news, but at least I am disagreeing with my own people. I certainly do not want to be confined merely to privately-owned news sources, because their priorities lie wherever on earth their shareholders interests lie.

Here, we have CBC News, and it's pretty good for local news and information. But its political agenda is heavily biased toward the left, and it serves as the mouthpiece for the Liberal Party. Here is a CBC broadcast by Stéphane Dion, the Liberal Party's Canadian Heritage critic.

So my issue with them is that CBC News is fundamentally dishonest. They position themselves as speaking for all of Canada when receiving funding from all of Canada's taxpayers, but they represent the viewpoints of only those taxpayers who vote for the Liberal Party.

And if they are deceptive about something as fundamental as their own identity, how can I possibly trust them to deliver honest accounts of events around the World ?

How does everyone think about the system where you are ?

Dane and Brutus58 like this.
  2. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

I stopped watching "regular" TV programs and only watch movies on cable. If I do want to watch a program from a commercial station, I record it so I can speed through the (non)movie bits.

Insp Gadget likes this.
  3. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

I like the CBC, and I disagree that it has a left or liberal (party) bias. I think they will take issue with whoever is the current government.
    It seems to me the only people complaining about it are the ones who feel it should be "pro right", which is common practice for the extreme right radicals in most countries.

Insp Gadget likes this.
  4. Insp Gadget

So do I, and I clearly identified CBC News, a different entity, as my example. I like BBC programming too, but not BBC News - same idea.
    Why is anyone who holds a differing opinion automatically insinuated as being an 'extreme right radical' !? I suppose that to someone left-biased they might appear to be so.

And what about the whole public funding issue ?

You see, pussycat, this is what makes it frustrating to try to carry on a fair conversation. You misrepresented what I said, misapplied wildly inflammatory buzzwords, and never once had the courtesy to address the point which I was honestly trying to make in the first place.

And what is sad is that you are a good person, and you may very well not even have realized that you were doing it.

So yes pussycat, this is exactly why I do not trust the CBC News.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  5. pussycat

Alright, I like CBC NEWS. Is that clear enough for everyone?

6. pussycat

My Dear Gadget:

What makes you think I was posting about you? Do you automatically include yourself in the extreme right radical category?
    Clarification on that would be appreciated.

7. Insp Gadget

I do not think the post was about me, nor did I say so - it is about my opinion of CBC News.

You included people with opposing viewpoints in the category of extremists, I did not. And I am not.

Pussycat, please do not misquote and mislead - it does not contribute to a fair and balanced discussion.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    itshot likes this.
  8. Insp Gadget

Despite any concerns with CBC News, or others like BBC News for example, I still think they are a far better news source than some conglomerate beholden to outside interests.

And it seems that Western Europe likes theirs, too. I just found this, and perhaps some Europeans could comment as well :

Across Western Europe, public news media are widely used and trusted sources of news

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  9. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

It's that way exactly here in the states.
    Public Broadcasting System (PBS), National Public Radio (NPR), National Public Media (NPM), American Public Radio (APR),
    Public Radio International (PRI), Public Radio Exchange (PRE), American Public Media (APM), and the government run
    Corporation of Public Broadcasting (CPB) are all, in their entirety, a left wing, liberal biased, hate conservatism, hate conservatives,
    hate God, stations all focused on one thing: To bring down and trample anyone who says or disagrees with their liberal views.

I kid you not, even the head of NPR stated that NPR is liberal left biased and proud of it. Went on to say that everyone knows
    NPR is liberal left and will always push the liberal ideals into anyone who listens.

None, and I mean none of them, has ever supported a Republican president and they totally dismiss any wrongdoings
    by a democrat president as a "forward thinking individual" (their words, not mine).
    All of them completely lauded Obama and all of his un-constitutional executive orders.
    ( I can give you a whole book on that subject. A lot of them went into effect for a period of time as it took the House and
    the Senate months, in some cases years, before a judicial order could stop them.)

I think all of them have the same motto:

"You may say your opinion, but what comes out of your mouth has to agree with me."

Brutus58 and Insp Gadget like this.
  10. pussycat

Hey Dane, you wouldn't happen to have a link or two so I could, you know, donate to these guys, do you?

:D:D

(I always suspected Big Bird was a communist agent).

Brutus58 likes this.
  11. Insp Gadget

Yes, yet some of the PBS programming was superb when I was watching it. The Carl Sagan 'Cosmos' series was a masterpiece.

So why is it I wonder, that when it comes to political matters, they are all so consistently left-biased ?

Brutus58 likes this.
  12. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Never said ALL of their shows were liberal.
    Don't dis SS! It was after my time, but it opened up a whole new and improved era using muppets! :D:D

Because those in charge are righteous hating executives, and they refuse to hire anyone who is different from them.
    -like their motto- that is the only statement spoken in an interview.

Insp Gadget and Brutus58 like this.
  13. Insp Gadget

Okay, but what I still don't get is why this happens in so many places, and presumably at different times in their histories ?

Because if only liberal administrations will create public networks, then we conservatives have only ourselves to blame.

Brutus58 likes this.
  14. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

All Republican presidents have tried to disband the CPB but were stopped because a 2/3 majority in both House and
    Senate.
    Some have tried to regulate that for every liberal show, a conservative one was needed in order to equalize, but that was
    stopped by 1st Amendment.

Insp Gadget likes this.
  15. Insp Gadget

This makes me wonder if we are in the same boat. And are all the rest of the Countries, too ? But regardless, I would still prefer to have to deal with home-grown issues than with off-shore influence peddling.

Dane likes this.
  16. DarkQuisp

DarkQuisp Trusted Member

I think the thing we lack the most is having a single news program that makes a good faith effort to make the best possible arguments for both sides of an issue.

Brutus58 and Insp Gadget like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.