1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

I think being PC is the last thing on President Trumps mind.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by longing4sis, Jan 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longing4sis

longing4sis Trusted Member

About time and I am glad to see it happen starting at the top. Now if only it trickles down to the everyday things. I for one am sick and tired of seeing things in my local stores with labels in Spanish and turned outwards. Last time I looked this was The United States of America and in America our national language is English not Spanish.
    Thank you President Trump!!!

No habla espanol? The White House website no longer speaks Spanish
    Noah Bierman

President Trump, who chided his opponents during the campaign for speaking Spanish, has made a tangible change to the White House website to eliminate bilingual access.
    The site , which the Trump administration took over on Friday, no longer includes an option for translation into Spanish or another that gives information about access for disabled users that had existed under President Obama.
    Spokesman Sean Spicer suggested the translation option may return but made no specific commitment on timing when asked about it Monday. He spoke generally about the high volume of work facing the technology team during the changeover.
    “We are continuing to build out the website...," Spicer said. "We’ve got the IT folks working overtime on that now.”
    During a Republican primary debate, Trump lashed out at former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush when he spoke Spanish. "This is a country where we speak English," Trump said.

StrengthenRoots, annab2 and Zarp like this.
  2. Zarp

Zarp Trusted.Member

Agreed!!!!!!!!!! All this over the top pc shit has got to go. I and I know a lot of folks were raised with the correct forms of pc, they were called politeness and manners!

3. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

I agree and disagree at the same time. Everyone here should speak and read English. That said, let me pose a quandary. Lets say someone immigrates the right way, but is still learning English. Should they have to not understand Government Websites until they are more fluent? Should they not be able to read labels? On the Government sites, if this is not the case, have what every other site has. Language change options. Default is English. And before the argument is made. Lingua and Language are close enough they could put that together and change it even if they don't speak English well.

All of that said. Don't push the "In English at all times" agenda for personal reasons. I speak Spanish. It is fun when people are ripping on someone in Spanish assuming they are safe, and I just reply "Complimente de acuerdo" and ALL blood runs out of their face.

4. annab2

annab2 Trusted Member"It ain't pretty being easy!"

It is pretty darn easy for people to access a translation page on the internet, most can operate a keyboard! Does it cover everything, for all people? No, but tell me what does! Language immersion is still the quickest way to bring people up to speed, in regards to learning a language skill set. We actually prevent or hinder newly acquired citizens from learning English when we offer that form of intervention in the learning of a new language.

StrengthenRoots, Zarp and longing4sis like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.