1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Did You Know ?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by Neophyte, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

The total estimated amount of lithium on Earth is 80,000,000 tons.
    The total amount of lithium produced in 2022 is 130,000 tons.
    If the world mandates 100% electric cars by 2050 the total amount of lithium needed is 40,000,000 tons.
    The total amount of lithium needed every 10 years there after is 20,000,000 tons.
    The total amount of lithium needed for electrical storage if all fossil fuel power plants are shut down is 150,000,000 tons.
    The total amount of lithium needed every 10 years there after is 100,000,000 tons.

80,000,000 tons of lithium available minus 40,000,000 tons for cars, minus 150,000,000 for power storage leaves a negative 110,000,000 tons of lithium. With the need for an additional 120,000,000 tons every 10 years there after.

If every ounce of lithium on Earth is mined the entire Earth will go into the Dark Ages and civilization will collapse by 2040. So the Climate Change Activist are lying.

Brutus58 likes this.
  2. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Nikolai Tesla was trying to figure out a way to transmit electricity without wires. Also we need a more dependable and reliable way to generate electricity such as nuclear power plants.

3. Lian

Lian Friendly One

Canada is a "well armed country", some say
    That one made me laugh

innervision likes this.
  4. Neophyte

Unfortunately his idea wouldn't work for three reasons. 1st his transmission is very wasteful of energy, if no-one is tapping into the power it just dissipates into the air. 2nd the transmission method is very short range, the longer range you try to get, the greater the loss of power. 3rd there was no way to monitor who and how much power was used so no-way to monetize the service properly. Tesla was a very brilliant scientist but a very bad businessman. He was too trusting of the good intentions of others.

Brutus58 likes this.
  5. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Actually it was your #3 is what killed the idea. Mr. Tesla wanted everyone to be able to access electric power even where power lines did not exist for low cost maybe even free. Power to the masses (sounds straight out of the 60s doesn't it). His financier, Westinghouse, was only interested in profit. Since there was no way to put a meter on who and how much electricity anyone was using electricity Westinghouse "pulled the plug" (no pun intended). This information is from a biography about Tesla I have and read. You're correct that Tesla was BRILLIANT but a very bad businessman as he was too trusting a soul. He died poor in a rundown hotel. Upon his death "government men", yes they were wearing black, broke into his room and his safe and took god-only-knows what that was in there. Had he been a better businessman and less a trusting soul maybe all of humanity could/would be better off.

6. Neophyte

Yes it was Westinghouse that ruined Tesla. During the generator wars between DC and AC, Westinghouse had run out of money. When Westinghouse went to Tesla about his lack of cash saying he couldn't pay Tesla, Tesla tore up their contract saying he didn't need to be paid till Westinghouse could make a profit. After Westinghouse won the contracts to start building the AC generators, Tesla went to him to get a new contract so he could start getting paid again. Westinghouse said he owned the process now and he didn't owe Tesla a cent, thereby cheating Tesla out of millions in royalties.

Brutus58 likes this.
  7. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

too bad they didn't have Scotch tape back then.

8. innervision

innervision Account Deleted

Battery technology is improving.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2023
  9. Neophyte

Then they should wait till they get a workable replacement before they start shutting down fossil fuels. You don't jump off a cliff until there is water below to cushion your fall, hoping that the water will magically appear before you hit the bottom is pure folly.

Brutus58 likes this.
  10. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Another thing to think about is that new battery technology will make lithium batteries obsolete. Suddenly that expensive EV is now an expensive paperweight. I'm not even talking about home storage batteries or massive storage facilities for towns/cities. Just as suddenly the demand for recycled lithium will drop. You will have all these dead/used lithium batteries laying around with no one wants to touch. There's the initial expense to buy lithium batteries and then there will be the expense to replace it all. Lithium will go the way of whale oil when it was replaced by cheaper and more abundant kerosene. Almost overnight the whaling industry collapsed and so will the mining and recycling of lithium. And kerosene went the same way when electric lights came out. What I'm trying to say is before running to make everything electric better have the technology and infrastructure in place first. Last but not least is "where does the electric power come from" that used to recharge all these batteries? For the most part people are replacing gasoline and diesel with coal or natural gas. Solar, wind and hydro plants make up a smaller percentage of power generation.

11. innervision

innervision Account Deleted

Are they really shutting down fossil fuels en masse?

Nonsense. All products break down. CRT monitors or tube televisions were replaced by LCD panels. Hard drives were replaced by SSDs. etc.. Technology improves.

Whaling industry almost caused the extinction of whales. It had to end.

Internal combustion engine vehicles will be replaced by alternatives that don't poison us to death. Slowly but surely.

12. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

I think that you are missing the/my point.

13. e315461

e315461 New Member

14. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

Once upon a time a battery was alkaline or lead acid. Then everything became NiCad (nickel/cadmium). Now it's all Lithium Ion. Next week they'll be blue - green algae. Technological progress. That's the point.

And kerosene didn't go anywhere, what do you think a jet engine runs on?

Brutus58 likes this.
  15. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Your first point is the point I was trying to say/make. Let's wait until we have an viable alternative to everything lithium without the environmental and human costs. Cadmium used in NiCad batteries was extremely toxic and killed the factory workers and was banned. Next came NiMH but those had a problem with "memory" and fell out of favor. Now we have lithium batteries with massive environmental damage and inhumane working conditions in it's acquisition and production. Lets just slow down a bit as a better alternative to making everything lithium battery powered is found. Maybe more than one alternative.

True that kerosene hasn't completely disappeared it's just not as common as it once was. It is still used for heaters and lighting, think Amish and isolated cabins, just in very limited use.

16. pussycat

Kerosene is the primary reason for digging oil out of the ground.It's more "common" than it ever was. Gasoline, diesel, etc are actually bi-products.

A turbine engine (jet, turboprop, doesn't matter) will run on anything from bunker oil to Chanel No5. It's food of choice is kerosene. Jet A, Jet B, all are kerosene under a fancy name.
    Just the demands of the world's military machines will keep the fossil fuel industry in business for a long time. Not to mention commercial aviation.

I'm not debunking your position, I agree with a lot of it. Just suggesting you might actually check before you post some of this crap, we already have Neophyte and that's one too many.

Brutus58 likes this.
  17. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

I knew that about kerosene. Did not want to fill the post with a lot of detail making it a long and boring post that no one would want to read. I was trying to make the point about the "evolution" of technology. Since it is evolving so rapidly it would be unwise to jump on the first "new thing" that comes along. THAT'S my point!! Nothing to do with the posts of Neophyte. Focusing on one tiny aspect of a post while ignoring the "big picture" doesn't help anyone.

18. pussycat

If you knew it, you shouldn't have used it as an example. :)

The big picture?

There are those who pine for the good old days, resist, are indeed terrified of change, and vote Republican or Conservative or whatever handle you prefer.
    There are those who think the good old days were not so great, are responsible for the fucked up situation we are currently in, and look forward rather than backwards for solutions. They, by default, will vote Democrat or Liberal.

I find myself having to side with the younger generation who are in the unfortunate position of having to try to clean up the shithole the older generations left us.

That's the big picture.

19. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Back to politics? I was talking about a sensible and forward looking approach to the transition away from fossil fuels not blindly follow like a lemming.

20. pussycat

It's politics (and corporate greed) that is stopping us from fixing the problem.