1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Bomb threat in Hanover Germany

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by longing4sis, May 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longing4sis

longing4sis Trusted Member

This story got me thinking, I wonder just how many bombs are still out there laying undiscovered. You know there has to be more of them out there. With the amount of bombs that were dropped during WWII, you know that they all couldn't have exploded. It's too bad that once the war was over all the countries involved couldn't have come together and searched for any unexploded ordinance to protect the people in future from dying from the past. I just hope that if any more of these relics from a horrific time in our history are found, they are able to disarm them safely and dispose of them.

Hanover evacuates 50,000 after three giant WW2 bombs found on building site
    Andy Wells
    a.png
    Some 50,000 people were evacuated from their homes after three WW2 bombs were discovered on a building site in Germany.
    Residents from houses, flats, clinics and care homes in the city of Hanover were forced out at 9am on Sunday morning while bomb disposal experts defused the devices.
    Officials initially suspected there were five bombs but investigations later concluded there were only three.
    b.png

c.png

Around 1,000 people among those forced from their homes had used shelters provided by officials during the nine-hour evacuation.
    City museums dropped their admission charges and community centres organised events for children and the elderly so people were not forced to wander the streets.
    The 50,000 people – amounting to around 10% of Hanover’s entire population – were allowed back into their homes by the end of the day, after initial estimates suggested it would be 24 hours before they were allowed to return.
    Such finds are not unusual in Germany, which was bombed a staggering 125 times by Allied forces during the war.
    On Christmas Day, 54,000 people had to leave their homes in Augsburg as a large bomb was defused.
    It is believed the latest find were from a raid in October 1943 that saw 260,000 high explosive and incendiary devices dropped onto the city.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.