1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Why the Quebec should be a country. Do you agree?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by MilaHot, Jul 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

I am a 'Separatist', in Canada. "Souverainiste", in french, because we want to rule ourselves.
    I have many reasons to explain why the Quebec should separate from the Canada.

We can start with economy.

Canada always favor some provinces before others, in Trade Deals. There was a deal made with the European Union in which Europe had to accept to buy a certain quantity of Beef, and in exchange, they would be allowed to sell us a certain quantity of Milk. That favored Alberta, another province.
    There is also the question of the State helping some industries. When, in 2009, the Ontario automobile industry was in trouble, the Federal government invested 10 billions to help them. At the same time, the forest industry in the Quebec was in trouble, yet they got NOTHING. Its the provincial government of the Quebec that had to invest, completely.
    Also, each year, Canada invest like 1,4 billion dollars in oil. Since 1970. And yet, the hydro-electricity, in the Quebec (Hydro-Quebec) is only financed by the Quebec government.
    Canada seems to be ready to help the provinces, if they speak english, and if they are not the Quebec. Canada ALWAYS sacrifice the Quebec's interests in EVERY Trade Deals made. EVERY time. And I'm not kidding.

There is also the Saint-Lawrence, which is the biggest 'river' leading inside North America. Canada decided that the tolls would be in Ontario, near Toronto. So the Quebec has to deal with all the ships passing in the St-Lawrence, but don,t get anything out of it, while they are FORCED to pass in our water first, before reaching Ontario.

Then, there are the social and energy goals. Canada wants Oil, and wants multiculturalism. The Quebec wants people to join the Quebec, to become Quebecer, no matter their religion, to be proud to be Quebecer. But we also defend our own culture and language. And the Quebec wants clean energy.

The Canada doesn,t have the same goals, objectives, or anything, with the Quebec. Yet, Canada likes to blame the Quebec anytime something wrong happens.
    The Quebec is different, culturally, intellectually. We are the place in North America with the most Bilinguals, and the most Trilingual people. Our society is different. Many compare us more to the Scandinavian countries. Hell, we are even closer to Europe! While Canada is pretty much USA junior, the Quebec is more European.

Also, legally, the Canadian debt isn't owned by the Quebec, as we didn't sign the Canadian Charter (we never were asked) so legally, we are not involved in the debt, as it was made "without our consent"

These are just a few exemples.
    So do you guys agree with that statement; Quebec should become a country?
    If yes, or no, can you explain why?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2022
  2. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

(imho) Hey, if you want it, go for it!

Just remember, what you just described is what California thinks about being part of a conservative country too.

3. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

No, its a different thing.

American culture is pretty much 'the same'. its American Culture, after all. But in Canada, there's "Canadian Culture" and Quebecois Culture", two VERY different things, with different views of the world, of how things should be. Different dreams, different goals.

Dane likes this.
  4. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Yeah, I can agree with that. But the last is the same with the 2 countries/states.

California-New York-Illinois all have the same dream of how things shoul be. (and all are failing miserably).
    Their laws do nothing but make everything worse.
    Crime is worse than any other state.
    Cost of living is worse of every state.
    Poverty is worse than any other state.
    Homelessness is the worse than any other state.

The rest of the states are grounded in sanity to varying degrees. But still try to pass laws that make sense.
    Not "feel good laws" that look great on paper but are complete failures in the real world.

If it wasn't for the port advantage that California has, there are a lot of people who wouldn't mind California
    to separate from the rest of the union.

Sorry, Easy to go on a rant. Your points are valid, so I am not well informed except for you and PC.

So by your post, I see Quebec as in a position that you would be not just well off, but have a great advantage
    if you were to gain your own soverneignty.
    But, because you would be better off as a separate country, Canada would do everything they could to keep
    that from happening.

You are too much an easy gold-mine in their eyes.

5. Eugen

Eugen Trusted.Member

In any case, if there is a group of people with the same worldviews, they must openly declare their will within the framework of the law. And if there is an opportunity to hold a referendum on the constitution of your country, demand that it be held. But it often happens that even if your votes gain a majority, you will not be released from your state, especially if there are minerals on your territory. Activists of such a movement will be bribed so that they do not become smarter or... They'll kill you.

6. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

Well, last time the Quebec tried a referendum to get free, Canada did a dirty trick; they gave the Canadian citizenship to a lot of migrants that they sent in the Quebec to make them vote against separation.

Dane likes this.
  7. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Sounds exactly what the Democrats are doing to the USA now with all the illegal immigrants crossing the border.
    Some Democrat run states (Pennsilvania) has given ALL people 18 or older the right to vote without being a citizen.

Neophyte likes this.
  8. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

I am all for immigration, but not when its done just to suppress a people's desire for freedom. Canada were dishonnest in all this. They accepted lots of immigrants, all for the Quebec, so they could do ONE thing, vote against. And yet, it still was a close call (49% voted for independance, after all)

9. whitecoffee1

whitecoffee1 Moderator Staff Member

Only if Mila becomes the supreme chancellor of Quebec! :eek:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
    Dane and MilaHot like this.
  10. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

Just an aside, but the consensus of opinion in Ontario is that Quebec can fuck off any time it wants. :D

(There's a joke that says if Quebec leaves then it won't take as long to drive to Nova Scotia.)

But if Quebec can separate from Canada, should Montreal not be allowed to separate from Quebec? o_O

Lets face it, a more realistic political map would have California extend from Alaska to Mexico, Canada to encompass Ontario, Upstate New York, New England, and the Maritimes, Quebec on it's own, and everything between the rockies and somewhere in Pennsylvania as the United States of Jesus.

Perviator, Dane and TittyKitty like this.
  11. whitecoffee1

whitecoffee1 Moderator Staff Member

12. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

But Ontario doesn't want to, because the Quebec is the main developper of Aerospace technologies in Canada, and a few other fields too are held by the Quebec. So they like to shit on the Quebec, but still want the money and ressources and thinkers the province have. They jsut like to shit on the people from there.

Also, no Montreal won,t separate from the Quebec. Its our main city. About half the population isn't speaking french, but that's because of Ottawa's immigration quotas, sending lots of immigrants into the Quebec to wipe out French slowly.

But if Canada wants to stop the Quebec from thinking about becoming a country, they should stop spitting on us and start to care for our interests too, not just theirs, as they always do. Canada needs to start thinking, and acting, in the Quebec's interests for once, or the Quebec will end up becoming a country, and that will be a major loss for Canada

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2022
  13. Star_of_sea

Star_of_sea Collector of ephemeral moments.

Personally I think it is an issue that should be of interest to Canada, I don't think it has a major influence outside that country, just as the independence of Catalonia or Scotland has no influence or interest in Canada or the USA, they are personal issues for each country. Those who want independence will find enough reasons to defend it and those who oppose it will also have their reasons. My personal opinion not about Quebec independence, but about independence in general is that it is a boring subject if you compare it with the amount of sensations and people there are in the world to know, besides, from my perspective of wanting a country called Europe, to start highlighting differences when we should be looking for union, is a path that makes no sense. Regarding Canada in general I can only offer my view as a tourist, on a trip I took with my mother and it is a beautiful and relaxing country, but I was only a tourist.

Odette likes this.
  14. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

Easy to say for you, you live in a country with one 'main culture', one 'main language'. But Canada was built by TWO FOUNDING NATIONS (English and French), yet the English majority keep doing everything they can to suppress the French minority. Even if most of what people think is "Canadian" is actually French Canadian.
    Its Canada that hghlights the differences, that keep pushing us down for being 'the inferior french canadians', that always try to make us look bad. If you look at anything published by Canada about the Quebec, it will ALWAYS be to discredit the Quebec, to justify THREE CENTURIES of oppression.

15. pussycat

You know, it's odd. We just spent the weekend in Montreal. Great time, it was like the whole city was having one big party.
    Montreal is one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world ( Toronto even more so ) and it shows. I got the impression the one thing uniting everybody was the common feeling of being fed up with being told what to do by the ass holes in Quebec City.
    I really don't think Montreal is going anywhere. The rest of Quebec? Who cares.

16. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

The thing is, Montreal is used by Canada to populate the Quebec by people that don't want to learn french. But half the city still speak french. And I know many people in Montreal, and some of them do want the Quebec to become a country.
    So if the Quebec becomes a country, Montreal will follow, because its one of our main cities, and the Quebec won,t let Canada steal any more of our stuff lol
    By the way, I do not hate Canada. I love Canada. I jsut think we are two different cultures, two different nations, and that we'd both be more happy as separate countries

17. pussycat

I don't hate Quebec either, I just couldn't care less what you guys do. However, if the area around Montreal wanted to stay in Canada, I doubt there's much you could do about it. What do you want, to go to war? Get serious, we'd flatten you.

The attitude here is we are getting tired of pandering to you, tired of Quebec whining about "losing their culture", we don't give a shit. As far as French in the rest of Canada, it barely exists. This "two founding nations" concept stopped at the Ontario border. We are not equals. Quebec is not half of Canada, it is one province out of ten.

McHaggis15 likes this.
  18. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

French Canadians were not allowed to speak their own languages at job until the 1950s. Back then, bosses were always english, and French Canadians were paid less than english canadians.
    There's still a lot of racism against French Canadians and Quebecers. Most of Canada sees us as 'inferiors'

19. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

Quebec is not half of Canada, but half of the Canadian Army is from the Quebec so.. a war wouldn't benefit Canada lol but only Canada would go to war for it. If the French regions of Ontario, on the eastern border, wanted to join the Quebec as a country, would Ontario go to war for them? Same struggle.

And Montreal would stay in the Quebec, its an historical city of the Quebec. Its our city. Even if Canada is flooding it with non-french speakers. It will stay Quebecer forever.

As for Ontario, there is a large French population in the province, but Ford cut the services in French. We are not half of Canada, true, but more than half of the progress made by Canada comes from the Quebec. The free healthcare system? Born in the Quebec. The Canadian NAtional Anthem. Made by a French Canadian from the Quebec. The Canadian National Meal; Poutine, made by the Quebec.

If we are not half the population, you still can't deny the importance of the French Canadians, of the Quebecers.

20. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

I don't like when Canada do these kind of talks, honestly. "We'd flatten you." "If a part of you want to stay, you have to respect them."
    It doesn't work like that. The Quebec is a province. The vote of the majority of the Province affects ALL the province. Its how democracy works. If the whole province except Montreal vote for independance, Montreal is part of the Quebec, so it will follow. Its how democracy works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.