1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

What's Happening to the World

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by Neophyte, Aug 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

Here is a pretty good look at the blast, and a collection of views from different perspectives :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

itshot and Brutus58 like this.
  2. Dracoa

Dracoa Trusted.Member

While yes, it's a tragedy what happened, I find it fascinating that you can see things launched into the air from the shock wave. Again, so there's no confusion, it is a tragedy what happened.

Akbloke, itshot, Brutus58 and 2 others like this.
  3. Insp Gadget

Yes, I see that. And in the same spirit, looking at the image at the lower left - it stops when the shock wave hits the car, but the person inside is okay, because we see the picture. ?

itshot likes this.
  4. Dracoa

Dracoa Trusted.Member

I imagine that it at least partly going over water dampened the effect, same as with shuttle launches where you can feel it across the bay, but it's not destructive. Distance also plays a factor in addition to obstacles. I am glad that at least that person is okay.

itshot, Brutus58 and Insp Gadget like this.
  5. Insp Gadget

So here's my question - all of those images start just before the big orange smoke cloud appears. So why were the cameras on beforehand, and what were they pointing at ?

There seem to be three separate events - something was on fire, then the big bang happened, then the shock wave. And it looks like each one event caused the next one in that order.

Brutus58 likes this.
  6. Dracoa

Dracoa Trusted.Member

I can't say for certain, but I would hope that the pillar of smoke is unusual for a building that didn't have smoke stacks, hence why people would be recording. I doubt they all started at the exact same time, but were edited to the moment before the explosion.

Insp Gadget and Brutus58 like this.
  7. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

I find it interesting that there were so many cameras pointing in that direction at the same time. I just find it curious is all. The different angles do show that some kind of fire was burning before the BIG explosion.

Insp Gadget likes this.
  8. whitecoffee1

whitecoffee1 Moderator Staff Member

If a fire breaks out in any factory/facility that handles explosive or lightly inflammable materials, it could have started a bit away from that material. It would make BANG!!!!! when the fire/heat actually gets close enough to that material.

Brutus58 and Insp Gadget like this.
  9. Insp Gadget

I think that the cameras were all aimed at the large fire which produced the grey smoke cloud at the beginning, before the big blast.
    And the number of pictures out there tells me that that initial fire had been burning for some time.
    The photographers could not have imagined what was going to happen next.

Brutus58 and whitecoffee1 like this.
  10. whitecoffee1

Here is a video one gifs was made from, showing the power of the shockwave.

Insp Gadget and Brutus58 like this.
  11. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Impressive that the door glass did not break.

Insp Gadget likes this.
  12. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

Back about a hundred years ago there was a silo filled with this stuff in a city in Germany. They made the mistake of trying to break up the clumps by setting off some dynamite. The explosion leveled have the city.
    What happened in Lebanon was inevitable, and a lot of people knew it, just nobody listened to them. As usual.

13. whitecoffee1

What implies that it didn't? The view of the door glass gets obsured by the side airbags.

Also it wouldn't make sense if the front-window gets destroyed (wich contains 2 layers of special glass with a layer of foil between, so when the window gets destroyed, the tiny pieces wouldn't fly directly at you), but the door window would stay intact. (which often doesn't have that layer of foil.)

Brutus58 likes this.
  14. whitecoffee1

Are you refering to this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oppau_explosion

Brutus58 likes this.
  15. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

EggHead and whitecoffee1 like this.
  16. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

17. Insp Gadget

The article states : " On April 16, 1947, in Galveston Bay, a French vessel called the SS Grandcamp was carrying nearly 2,300 tons of ammonium nitrate. The boat was docked in Texas City. The cargo was to be transported back to farmers in Europe.

On the morning of April 16th, smoke began to billow from the Grandcamp and hours were spent trying to control a fire on the ship. Heat and pressure finally caused the ammonium nitrate to reach its detonation threshold at around 9 a.m. The resulting explosion was immense, nearby buildings on land were leveled, while the two-ton anchor from the Grandcamp was hurled 1.6 miles. "

The estimates I saw of the Beirut explosion was that it had ten times the impact of this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Insp Gadget

Apparently the most powerful human-made explosive ever detonated was the Soviet RDS-220 hydrogen bomb, known as 'Tsar Bomba'.

It was tested on 30 October 1961, as an experimental verification of thermonuclear weapons design :

- amazing video​

But apart from that monstrosity - British scientist and European Science Secretary Christopher Busby rank the explosion in Beirut third behind only the Hiroshima and Nagasaki explosions.

19. rida99

rida99 Trusted Member

I haven't seen that angle of the explosion. It's pretty frightening.

20. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.