1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

What's Happening to the World

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by Neophyte, Aug 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Sometimes just asking a question is "be uncooperative", and is grounds for arrest. Depends on the cop. They can and have made up things to arrest. Now with body cams that happens less. Still a jerk can and have turned their cams off to "eliminate" evidence. Body cams have also helped exonerate cops from false accusations.

curiousFred likes this.
  2. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

Buds, not the same specifics, but we got a similar situation with our entire long-term health !
    It's the more authority and autonomy, the less that goes between their ears.
    But we need authority, so whatcha gonna do ?

curiousFred and Brutus58 like this.
  3. Smitty

Smitty Trusted.Member

Look at the the video, the cop who killed Mr Floyd did not have a body cam on.

curiousFred likes this.
  4. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

It only takes a couple of bad cops to ruin the trust of the public. Not all are jerk assholes.

curiousFred and Insp Gadget like this.
  5. Smitty

Smitty Trusted.Member

Yeah, but all cops protect their fellow officers. So if a cop goes bad, the others say nothing. That makes it all good? I was 10 years old when a cop pulled a gun on me. The cop was giving my dad a hard time because he was an ex con. My dad begged and pleaded with the cop not to kill me, in return I got to watch my dad get beaten. The cop never losses his job, that was considered normal police work. Good cop you say? I have never seen one. Only cops that think they are good and cops that do bad.

curiousFred, Insp Gadget and Brutus58 like this.
  6. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Maybe we need less "authority". I don't steal, threaten, beat or kill because it is wrong to do so. The concept is called "morality". Knowing the difference between right and wrong. Once you know the difference you do the "right thing", not the "wrong thing". My parents beat that into me at an early age. I don't condone brutalizing children (broken bones, skulls and other trauma), but I do believe in the "spare the rod, spoil the child". It's probably good that I don't have children (at least none that I'm aware of). Just raising my voice to yell at them would put me in jail. The riots happening now may be the example that I may be sorta correct.

7. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

I'm sorry to hear that happened. That was 40 years ago, that doesn't make it "right", but things have changed. I can see that incident scarred you for life (it would have done the same for me). More than my dad's belt tanning my ass or the wooded mixing spoon my mom used. If "I" broke the spoon, I would get an extra ten on my ass. My mom had a drawer full of short, stubby spoons.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    curiousFred likes this.
  8. Dracoa

Dracoa Trusted.Member

Technically, three cops were directly involved the in the death of Floyd, the fourth just stood idly by. The one white guy that everyone knows about, but also a black cop and an Asian cop, plus another Asian cop that just stood by. But since they aren't the culturally approved targets, due to their skin color, only the white guy gets the blame, and that's on the media.

curiousFred, Insp Gadget and Brutus58 like this.
  9. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Mostly true what you say, there are screams for the others to be charged also. At least for dereliction of duty.

curiousFred and Dracoa like this.
  10. Insp Gadget

Dad was the Drum-Major who led the Calgary Highlanders on their victory march through the streets of Manchester.
    Mom ran the cookhouse there which gave the local British forces the food that was good for them to eat if they knew what was good for them.
    And I became the typical 50's teenager being oh so typically rebellious.
    At times our household was just overflowing with diverse management styles. [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Insp Gadget

My friend, we are kin in our keen-ness for knowledge, but it needs to come unclouded by assumptions.

" the fourth just stood idly by. " 'Idly' is a somewhat subjective notion - perhaps he was observing, or performing some communication or admin thing. And if he'd been alongside his team-mates, he'd be hated for that !

" The one white guy that everyone knows about ". Really, like 100 percent of the population automatically knows all about someone whose apparent most distinguishing feature is his skin colour ? :) Are you perhaps suggesting that we all should agree with this or we're somehow abnormal ? That's so racist, pal.

And so the beat goes on ... so tediously and needlessly ... it's all just fuzzy logic, senseless hatred, and it all just needs to stop.

12. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

You are 100% correct that all this mayhem and rioting must stop. It solves nothing but increase tensions and fear. Now for the races of the police involved, there are plenty of phone videos showing who was who and what they were doing/did. The other three police that were there could/should have gotten the officer kneeling on the suspects neck to get off him. They didn't until it was too late. Now our whole country is paying for that lack of judgement, training and professionalism. I have heard that this has spread to other countries as well. Just like a nasty pandemic virus.

13. Insp Gadget

And just like what we're doing about a nasty pandemic virus, we are learning as we go. We are also learning, I think, that we are not as smart as we thought we were, but we'll become a whole lot smarter from the humbling experience.

14. Dracoa

Dracoa Trusted.Member

*looks at av* Uh....

And according to the people who decide these things, you can't be racist against white people.

15. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

And to add to that, when we think we are not racist we may still harbor some racism lurking in the dark recesses of our minds. I truly believe that EVERY race harbors dark thoughts about every other race to some extent. Or I'm just another idiot. One more thought is that racism, like a lot of things, is learned. We are taught/learned it from a variety of sources too numerous to list. Some obvious, some subliminal.

curiousFred likes this.
  16. Betullabond

Betullabond Trusted.Member

Wha are you rambling about? ...not don't tell me you'll just ramble more.

Brutus58 and curiousFred like this.
  17. Insp Gadget

Please let's not forget that it apparently was an innocent young shining example of responsible citizenship
    who committed the crime which ignited all this unrest. :)

curiousFred likes this.
  18. fdj

fdj Trusted Member

Not sure what I expected a politics discussion to be on a forumn dedicated to incest but, this sure is that.

Brutus58, Insp Gadget and curiousFred like this.
  19. itshot

itshot Trusted.Member

There are a lot of threads on this site that deal with other things besides sex.

Brutus58, Insp Gadget and curiousFred like this.
  20. notasmurf420

notasmurf420 Trusted Member

lol

Insp Gadget and curiousFred like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.