1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Voting should be mandatory.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by soccerguy, Sep 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soccerguy

soccerguy Trusted.Member

With all the fuss about elections in the U.S.A. they should try the Australian model were voting is compulsory. Those who chose not to vote are subject to a fine. It should be a citizens duty to be involved in the electoral process. You can't complain if you don't vote.

Akbloke and Brutus58 like this.
  2. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

And compulsory military service like the Swiss.

Akbloke likes this.
  3. LegLover

LegLover Trusted.Member

The right to vote also means the right not to vote! Once it's mandatory it's no longer a right but a chore, a government obligation, and a little more freedom has been lost and the government has taken over another little piece of your life.

The government took a big piece of my life back in 1972 when I was drafted into the Army for two years. And I still bristle at jury duty.

I would love to see an election where nobody showed up. Now THAT would send the damned politicians of every stripe a message.

i hrt strs and Dane like this.
  4. midnightcure

midnightcure Trusted Member

5. hellohello

hellohello Trusted Member

Fuck the Australian system. I have a right not to vote.
    This. Fuck the draft and the Australian voting system. I don't care if you're being paid, forcing people to work is slavery. People will just vote for Mickey mouse and it will suck to keep up with it just like taxes.

6. stupidfool158

stupidfool158 Trusted Member

What is the purpose of making someone vote? If none of the limited options presented are acceptable, why should they be forced to endorse one candidate or the other?

7. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

Its not mandatory that you choose from the options on the ballot. You can often choose a Write-in and put any name you want, even your own. On several selections, you can leave all choices blank. A ballot is not a test, you don't have to answer every question.

Akbloke and Brutus58 like this.
  8. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Moderator Staff Member

I would like to see two changes made nationally for elections in the US.
    1. Voter ID.
    If someone doesn't want to purchase a driver's license, a passport, or a non-driver ID we can offer them a "vote only" ID at no charge.​

2. Disallow voting by anyone on public support.
    Being able to vote for politicians or proposals that offer them free stuff is a conflict of interest. This would include welfare, housing vouchers, free phones, and free medical care. It would exclude the benefits that workers pay for like state disability, unemployment insurance, medicare, and social security. ​

Brutus58 and LegLover like this.
  9. LegLover

LegLover Trusted.Member

Abso-fuckin-lutely!

Only taxpayers should vote. 50% of the population is on the tit right now and there are some who would make it 100%.

Ben Franklin said:
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves riches from the treasury, that will herald the end of the republic."

Brutus58 likes this.
  10. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Sorry Cur, but I do disagree on some points.
    If someone is having a decrease of income because of a bad year (like a Covid related layoff) and they are on public
    support like Medicaid (not excluded in your list) or on Section 8 housing because they were forced to move
    because they could no longer afford rent and/or mortgage payments, by your account, their right to vote
    should be annulled.
    I totally disagree with that.

11. stupidfool158

I see you didn't list anything about tax breaks, subsidies, grants, or government contracts. Nor would your proposal do anything to curb the campaign "donations", lobbying, the high level business/government revolving door, "speaking fees", "book deals", "board of directors memberships" and the innumerable other ways that wealthy corporations use to get around bribing public officials directly.

You proposal would only disenfranchise and disempower the majority of the population from having any say in how they are governed than they already are.

12. stupidfool158

But why should it mandatory to participate at all? What is the point?

13. ninemark

ninemark Trusted Member

Believe it, making voting mandatory only make it worse. Pan-politic is not a considerable choice.

14. Immortal1

Immortal1 Trusted Member

Well, someone stirred the hornets nest with this topic. Forcing people to vote is wrong, morally and legally. People have something called Freedom of Choice and no one will take that away from the people unless they want trouble on their hands. Mandating people to vote or else takes away the people's right of freedom of choice.

I'm sorry if I sound all over the place with my posts.... Just woke up and having hydro's in my system doesn't help either... Lol. Damn broken shoulder

Brutus58 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.