1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Religion

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by MilaHot, Apr 9, 2022.

1. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

Doctor/Patient? Lawyer/Client? It is trickier. That is not absolute at all. Example. If I know a client is committing fraud? I am actually REQUIRED to remove myself (Fire the client) and report as privilege does not attach. Also? Mandatory reporting rules apply to Doctors, whether the patient agrees or not. Violation of either of those rules can result in loss of license and arrest.

2. buffyfan

Take this in another direction as we are going in circles.

Is it time for the US to address who gets "Tax Exempt" religious status? Example. Is SCIENTOLOGY a "Religion" or a Cult. Hell. I can (and have, this one is a fun Moot) make a case that Mormons are a Cult that took hold when some were not paying close attention in the US.

I applogize to any Mormons here. But this is all your actual story and it is kind of "cultish". Man find GOLD PLATES and a stone. But only HE can use the stone to translate the plates. If you take all copies made of his ONE translation out of his sight and ask him to translate it again? it wont be exactly the same (HOLY F. As in he has to write what he REMEMBERS and it wont be word for word!). Whole bunch of weird things about Angels the Bible, that Jesus and God supposedly wrote, dont know about or mention, coming to him. Multiple Marriage (much as you deny it that did not go away until FIFTY PLUS YEARS AFTER SMITH DIED and 13 after Young died). Your LEADER was shot by a mob after being taken from jail waiting for his TREASON TRIAL. There are still cult offshoot elements of you LDS Church who Polygamy and marry unacceptably.

3. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

It doesn't matter if a group is considered to be a religion or a cult. If they are able to meet the requirements to get Tax Exempt Status, then whether or not the group is a legitimate religion is moot, as you say. In order to revoke a groups tax exempt status, you need to prove that they don't qualify. It doesn't matter if they're Scientologist (Definitely a cult), Mormons, Catholics, Muslims, Hindu, or Uncle Bob's Holy Barn. If there is a problem, then the qualifications are the problem, not the group.

There was a woman, in Santa Monica who started a religion where you gained enlightenment by having sex. You donate to her church and you received enlightenment with sex. I believe she was an ex-prostitute (technically). The owner of the company I worked for, rented the beach house she used, to her.

pussycat likes this.
  4. buffyfan

Oh no. Scientology is an issue because they use that status to dodge David Miscavich getting served. And how they dodge laws.

No religion should have Tax Exemption.

pussycat and Lian like this.
  5. Lian

Lian Friendly One

When a religion become an organizatio., no tax exemption. They make money, they pay. Its supposed to just be about Faith after all

Dane likes this.
  6. Neophyte

If a group or an organization qualifies for tax exempt status, then they should get tax exempt status. If you disagree, then you should attack the law, not attack the group or organization. Everyone will take advantage of the law whether its for tax exemption, building codes, or running a business. Only an idiot business owner is going to say, I could use this portion of the law to save millions in taxes, but I'll just pay the taxes anyway, I'll add a couple of million just to be fair. If the law is wrong or allows exception then fix the law not the people using the law.

Dane likes this.
  7. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

But Lian is right about an Organization should not have tax-exempt.
    She didn't say just take it away- a law change is warranted.

These Organized Religions have Trillions of $ and a bunch of the leaders have the "Church's" planes, cars, etc which are used for the leaders to go out and recruit more members so that the church can get more money.

An individula church, or an individual group that uses their $ input only for the spread of their ideals and spread of, with proof, of helping others in some way. $ for salaries should be capped.

Goodwill, an organization (company) that doesn't pay for anything they are given (yes I know there are handling costs) and then sells it for a profit.
    No problem there,but that is a profitable business venture. But, the average CEO (thre are many Chapters/Cities/areas) makes over $ 500,000 a year plus perks.
    Goodwill Omaha Ceo made started at $400,000 and after some years at the helm had a salary of $930,000 a year.
    The average Goodwill worker there was making Minimum Wage and those with disabilities, and students, are paid less than Minimum Wage due to Fair Labor Standards Act loophole.
    He was fired after an investigation by Maria Carter Feb 28, 2018. This info is from her report.

Jim Gibbons-Ceo Goodwill International, salary is $700,000 a year. He is blind. But a blind person hired by GW is paid less than Minimum Wage.
    There is irony in that. He explains that those hourly workers wage is set at the local level. He has the power to override that, but chooses not to.

The vast majority of the $5,700,000.00 (5.7 Billion) in income profit goes to upper management. Next is overhead and operational expenses. Last and least is the store and merchandise processing clerks.

Goodwill Industries have over $60,000,000,000 (60 billion) in reserve liquid assets. Of which $0 is taxable.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2023
    Lian likes this.
  8. buffyfan

missing three 0s. What you wrote in #s is 60 million. Words 60 billion.

[Thank you-fixed-Dane]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2023
  9. Neophyte

As long as people blame the religion or organization, and not the law, I will oppose them even if I dislike the religion or organization. I hate false accusation and false blame. I believe in fairness and justice, some people only care about their side.

10. buffyfan

So, again, just using the RCC as an example. If ANY OTHER ORGANIZATION outside religion did the the level of cover up they did on these abuse cases? They would have been slammed with pile of RICO charges. But because "Sanctity of the Confessional" is a "tenent" we let them ignore conspiracy after the fact charges?

11. Neophyte

I am not a fan of the RCC. But they haven't done anything different than Hollywood, our Government, Schools, Corporations, other Religions. Singling out one group or organization and making it sound like they are the only perpetrators is disingenuous. Making it look like RCC is the only ones guilty is what I find to be unfair. If you(general you) want to say that the RCC is an example of what is being ranted about, I would not object, I may even agree.

12. buffyfan

The difference is this. Weinstein did what he did. His company is in shambles and being sold off. The RCC did what they did in Nassau County. Now they are crying poverty and saying they have to file for bankruptcy because they have to pay these settlements. With TENS OF MILLIONS IN ASSETS. And a million or so to pay out. To hold services? The RCC does not need acres of property, pounds of golden crosses, THREE CATHEDRALS. They can sell the land. Hold services in smaller churches and easily pay what is owed. But it is not only being entertained but likely to pass that these settlements will be lowered to "Save the Doceses" from having to make any real changes to assets. No one can show me where in the Bible Jesus said "to worship you must have a large cathedral with many golden objects to honor me". I can show you something about golden objects in Exodus though.

Also, I will show how religion is held special. Scientology? Has been all but shown to have INTERFERED with the Masterson case back when it was first investigated years ago. Danny the person is on trial now. Scientology? The authorities seem AFRAID to go after. You have to assume because it is a religion.

13. Neophyte

I saw an interview where an author talked about their writer's group getting together and discussed religion. And L. Ron Hubbard bet he could start a religion with a ridiculous premise and have it be successful. So came about the creation of Scientology.

Point out that the RCC is an example of what you are arguing against, instead of being the only cause, then I can except it. And by leaving out anyone else you are inferring that the RCC is the only one. I'm for fairness, not for playing favorite.

14. buffyfan

It is the EASIEST example as they had the most public issues recently. But Scientology is about to catch up with a possible International Human Trafficking case on the Horizon.

I heard a great line on a Youtube short. Judaism was founded by a man named Avrhm. That became Avroham. That became Abraham. Christianity by a man named Yehoshua. No F'ing idea where that became Jesus and not Joshua like every other Yehoshua in that book, but whatever. Islam by Mohammed. That language has not evolved since then so same. But is still 2000 years old or so. Now....... Mormons? John and Bringham. Normal everyday names (one for the time). Scientology? Your supposed religion was founded by RON. It is a cult guys. Your founder was named RON. He had a drivers license. Was PHOTOGRAPHED. Was on TV. Its a CULT.

Pat Hotter likes this.
  15. Neophyte

I not arguing that Scientology is not a cult. I would argue that Scientology is not Christian. Among the majority of Christians, Mormonism is not considered part of Christianity. I've met some people that would exclude Jehovah's Witness's too.

16. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Scientology is a belief in one-self. It is more of Hinduism-Remake Part deux. (Part 2 because "New Age Church" was Hindu repackaged first to the Hollyweirdos.)

Mormonism (LDS) is a Christian sect that is based on Cultism."Prophets" are the spokesperson for Jesus Christ, instead of Christ Himself.
    All Christian based Cults have developers who have appointed themselves as the "LEADER of the Church."
    LDS is no different than Jim Jones "Peoples Temple" Christian Church. David Koresh's Branch Davidians, another example.
    Joseph Smith, same for LDS-that is why it is a cult.
    Muslim is a cult simply by the same definition.
    (One could say the same for Christianity, so one has to define whether Jesus Christ was a man, or is God incarnate-It's your choice)

Jesus from Yeshua is as pictured. It is just a different pronunciation.

[​IMG]

Neophyte likes this.
  17. Sherman

Sherman Account Deleted

There are also those of us who remember the days of the "Religious Right" (and their followers) who were loving and gracious enough to constantly tell us that we (non-Christians, but ESPECIALLY atheists) were unfit for public office, unfit to be parents, unfit to be considered citizens, and would never deserve a seat at the table.

I have some very close friends who are Christian. I'm also wary of Christians as a whole.

In all fairness, they are not the only groups I'm wary of. Not even at the top of the list (but they ARE on it).

Incs, pussycat and Lian like this.
  18. buffyfan

The Christians I KNOW are? Are usually not the GOOD ones? They are the preachy ones. Because I know they are Christians. Because it is their whole personality.

Incs likes this.
  19. EnlightenedNudist

EnlightenedNudist Trusted Wizard

Religion is immoral by design. A well-abused tool used to oppress and subjugate individuals to nefarious ends. It serves absolutely no beneficial purpose to humanity whatsoever and never will.

20. Odette

Odette No one can convey what they do not feel

I grew up in a Catholic family and I still am. I used to wear a crucifix but over time I have felt more veneration for the Virgin Mary and I have replaced the crucifix with an image of the Virgin Mary which I always wear around my neck. It is my way of believing in the Catholic religion, I don't know why, but it could be because the Virgin Mary is also a woman, for her life, for knowing how to accept destiny, I don't know, but I feel closer to the Virgin and I like to carry her image always with me. On one occasion I was riding with horses and my sister very fast through the property and my sister hit a tree branch. She fell to the ground and was unconscious, she was not breathing. We were a long way from home and I couldn't ask anyone for help. I asked the Virgin Mary not to let my sister die and at that moment, my sister started breathing again. What happened can be interpreted in a thousand ways, I have my own and I don't need another one. Besides that moment, there are also other moments when I feel the company of the Virgin Mary. Many people laughed and made fun of what happened, but I am indifferent, I have only said my experience and my beliefs. What others think is indifferent.

Athenea likes this.