1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Religion

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by MilaHot, Apr 9, 2022.

1. Daddy's Home

Daddy's Home Trusted.Member

My dear @Star_of_sea,

This is one of the nicest "agree to disagree" replies I have ever seen.

It is in complete harmony with all of your wonderful posts on this site.

There are many here, including myself, who would do well to learn from your examples.

As often as @Dane and I are on opposite sides of debates like this, he is always a wealth of information written in a way to provide both context and depth to any subject.

Cheers to you both.

Odette, Star_of_sea and Dane like this.
  2. VinniethePanda

VinniethePanda Trusted.Member

Not directly but you are espousing the belief that anyone you decide to call a "conspiracy theorist" (a term first coined by the CIA in the 70's) is an idiot. Because you know some weirdos doesn't give you the moral highground to lump everyone into the same basket. Some of us question certain incidences which don't feel quite right, this is not conspiracy or theorism, it's people with an open mind asking about or questioning an official narrative. I have done extensive research into many issues dating from 1900 till today, hours spent in libraries, online, submitting Freedom of Information requests, some of my findings have been published in papers. So what I'm saying is please don't judge everyone by your moronic acquaintances, it's belittling and narrow minded.

3. VinniethePanda

4. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Did you not read what I said about those in charge?
    The RCC in, and of itself, is not a scam, it is the leadership.

So in your way of thinking, the FBI is a "police state" institution out to destroy all American's lives.

It is not. It has become a political power play ONLY because the leadership are scumbags who are using
    their position to destroy all Conservative ideology.
    It is not an institution for destruction of righteousness. It has only become so because of the leadership.

Same with the RCC. The Church itself is not out to "scam" anyone. It is, and has been, in certain times of the past,
    an institution that decided it's main concern was the control of the minds of the believers. That has been brought
    about by leadership who was/is, more concerned with money than spiritual guidance.

Odette and Star_of_sea like this.
  5. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

If that's truly the case, I'm wholly in favour of it. :D Who do I send donations to?? :cool:

Incs likes this.
  6. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Oh, you don't need to donate anything.

Just go onto any "Militia" website and voice your approval and they will be glad to give you an "in home" visit.

All with the blessings from the Biden administration.

Star_of_sea likes this.
  7. VinniethePanda

Buffyfan never mentioned any particular official legal authority so why come out with "the FBI is a "police state" institution out to destroy all American's lives"? This may shock you but the whole world is not American, the Vatican City is in Europe so the Federal Bureau of Investigation does not have any jurisdiction there!

8. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Yes he did.

He stated they are a scam because of the leadership has "proclaimed" their relics are of 1000s years old and not 100s as science
    has proven.

The main one, I am sure he is alluding to is the Shroud of Turin.

It is not the burial cloth of Jesus. One doesn't even need the carbon dating to prove that. The Bible's description
    of the burial cloth of Jesus is NOTHING like the Shroud of Turin.

That and the bones of their "saints" are nothing more than their push for relic idolization. Again, something the
    Bible speaks against 100% of the time.

That doesn't make the basis of the RCC a scam. It does show, like the current FBI, it is an agency that has decided
    to abandon it's philosophy and be used for the promotion of the ideals and corruption imposed by the current
    leadership.

Star_of_sea likes this.
  9. Star_of_sea

Star_of_sea Collector of ephemeral moments.

This is just my personal opinion, but I don't understand why science has this obsession for the Catholic religion to prove its dogmas by scientific methods. By the same method we could ask science to prove feelings and beliefs and we would only get the absolute incapacity of science. Science is logic, deductions, thought, the Catholic religion is belief, to try to unite the two visions is as absurd as trying to compare a car and an orange. A thought cannot explain a feeling.

Take love for example, a feeling, science can explain in which part of the brain it is born, which hormones are involved, what the mechanism is, that is, science explains the how, but science is completely unable to make you feel love. Faith in Christ is exactly the same, you can no more explain a belief than science can make you feel a sensation. It makes no sense to ask for empirical evidence for a feeling or a belief any more than science is required to make a person feel love or Faith.

Science can fill the entire land of a continent horizontally and the end of the Universe vertically with papers full of explanations of what love is, it can expound complex mathematical formulae, endless equations, complete studies of the brain, but all these explanations are incapable of making you feel when the person you love brushes your arm with their fingertips, science cannot make you feel with all its equations the sensations of a look of love between two people, science cannot explain with its numbers all the sensations of a kiss of passion between two people intoxicated with love, science cannot explain with its laboratories what you feel when you long for the woman you love because you are separated from her by work and study.

The sensations that love awakens in a person are the same as the sensations that faith awakens in a person. And science is a complete and utter failure if it tries to copy those sensations and beliefs and express them scientifically, and in the face of its complete incompetence, its only solution is to attack the beliefs with its scientific methods.

I am an atheist and a very scientific person, but at the same time I give infinite thanks for not living in a scientific world, because science is cold, calculating, formulas, equations, studies, numbers, if we lived in a scientific world there would be no magic, no feelings, no beliefs because everything would be rational and logical, we would not be human beings, we would be machines. If a person feels love, if a person feels faith, that is what makes us human, that is what makes us all the same, but at the same time we are all different.

Another failure of science in the religious issue is people, it is a matter that science always ignores and only wants to talk about proofs about the Bible or about the existence of a particular fact. Religion helps people. That feeling of help science always rejects it because it cannot fight it and not only rejects it, but prefers not to pay attention to it, because it cannot compete against a feeling, the feeling of help that the Catholic religion and the Faith in Christ get many people to go on, to get out of bed every day, to go on fighting, when science can only offer hospitals and medicines, equations and numbers. And there are millions of examples like Athenea, I have experienced in my life the death of a young friend of mine from cancer and the consolation of her parents was not science, it was not drugs, it was not mathematical explanations of the percentage of cancer at her age worldwide, the consolation of her parents was to know that their daughter was seeing the face of God after her death.

Science, in all its arrogance, unilaterally decides that its method is the only and best to explain everything that happens, that everything must be demonstrated with irrefutable proof, but I insist again, why can't science make me feel love? It would be as simple as a mathematical formula and whoever executed it would automatically be in love. But it can't, because they are sensations. Only the person who loves, knows what it is to feel love. Only the person who has faith in Christ knows what it is to believe in his faith, and for the rest of us this feeling is forbidden. To explain everything that happens with proofs is absurd.

Each person who has faith in Christ lives it in his own way. For Athenea it is not the smile of her sister, it is the smile full of life of her sister, it is everything that this smile expresses, the daily happiness, the desire to live, the forgetfulness of the past, the promise of a future where her sister will continue to smile, to be able to share her old age with her, but always with the smile full of life of her sister.

One of the most fascinating books for me is "Brideshead revisited" of Evelyn Waugh and one of the most beautiful passages is the one I detail below:

"-I suppose they're trying to make you believe a lot of nonsense.
    -Nonsense? I wish they were. Sometimes they seem to me terribly sensible things.
    -But, my dear Sebastian, you can't possibly take all that seriously.
    -It isn't?
    -I mean about Christmas, and the star, and the three wise men, and the ox and the ass.
    -Oh, yes! I do believe in that. It's a lovely idea.
    -But you can't believe something just because it's charming.
    -Well, I do. It's my way of believing.

Sometimes I think that the influence of science makes us so cold and mathematical that we are unable to appreciate all the beauty of Athenea's words and all the beauty of that simple fragment. Sometimes I think that the one-sided view of science, its explanations and its insatiable demand for proof robs us of being able to live life differently.

It is as important as a sunrise on the horizon of the sea, as important because a rose has its colour, as important because your heart chooses a person among 7,000,000,000,000 people, as important because a person is your friend, as important as the scientific method to explain a catholic religion and a Faith in Christ that makes millions of people happy?

Catholic religion, Faith in Christ helps people.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
    Odette and Dane like this.
  10. Star_of_sea

Thank you for your kind words, they are very much appreciated with a very emotional intensity for me, but the credit for such a personal attitude is not mine. I can say that I have learned everything from mom and one of her lessons was always to insist that it is more difficult to respect someone who does not share your opinion than someone with whom you share it, which is why the one you should respect the most is the one who is contrary to your opinions. Respecting your opponent means listening to their words, evaluating them objectively and, within the framework of respect, engaging in a conversation that is sure to be enriching for both parties. This philosophy of mom allows me to enjoy friends who like bullfighting and others who hate it, football fans and those who are bored at a football match, those who are passionate about hardstyle and those who only listen to noise in that frenetic music, having found a point of balance between such disparate trends that makes us meet different ways of seeing the same world and enjoy our friendly dinners on weekends and the long hours of dancing afterwards. However, I have had to leave behind on the road of life those who without arguments, their only response was contempt and insult, because those people never make you a better person. That balance of respect that I live in my days with my friends is what I have tried to bring to Dream, although it has not always been pleasant, but in the face of an inappropriate response, the best option is perpetual silence.

In this particular case that I am commenting on, @Dane, even though he is my most accentuated antagonist, would not deny me the pleasure of reading his contributions, always measured and explanatory, always expanding his knowledge to a level that deserves all my respect. We do not share beliefs or faith, but we respect each other. To have a different opinion does not mean to be enemies, it should not be a reason for confrontation, but on the contrary, the possibility of knowing another way of living life and it is a pioneer that I would never deny myself. Dane is that soothing point of balance, he is like a teacher who always has the right answer, but does not impose it, he just informs you of the answer, gives you the information you are asking for and then leaves you free to use that information as you wish. He never manipulates or wishes to have many followers in his beliefs.

Odette, Daddy's Home and Dane like this.
  11. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Um, one correction if you don't mind.

Faith in Christ is, and has, made Billions of people happy!!:)

12. Star_of_sea

I was talking more about my personal experience but also that experience involves more people that I have not mentioned, but I know that in the past, in the present and in the long future it will continue to help and make millions happy.

All your corrections are always very much appreciated.

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart. :):):)

Odette likes this.
  13. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

It was in fun. But not fully, as Billions today, and Millions in the past have accepted Christ. And those numbers are still
    not high enough!
    But you and I know that sooner than we think, that number will goto zero all in the "twinkling of an eye".

By what is happening in the world today, the Trumpet is getting ready to blow.
    It will be nice to see you there!

14. Daddy's Home

Daddy's Home Trusted.Member

Bravo, my dear!!!

Kudos to your mom. Please give her a kiss from me for raising such a wonderful daughter.

15. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

I am actually aluding to the scams that Henry the VIII's commissioners caught the "monasteries" pulling. Blood of saints that was ducks blood. Bones the moves with mechanisms not miracles. Etc. And yes. The shroud. But mostly? I want the copies that they claim prove that the 12 wrote them proven to be written HUNDREDS of years later. Their basic tenants are based on fiction. They made up their "religion" at Councils hundreds of years later.

Dane likes this.
  16. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Yep!!
    Yep!!
    That and the fact that Henry VIII declared himself the head of the new Anglican Church because the pope would not approve an annulment of his marriage.

17. Incs

Incs Account Deleted

This definition still seems to vague. I believe this video captures much more precisely what the RCC is all about:

18. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Taylor Marshall - stay salty my friends

This guy really has revealed a lot in the RCC, all the while being a very devout Catholic.

19. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

Does that apply to lawyer and doctor confidentiality too, and if not then why is religious confessional's singled out.

20. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

To the CCP.