1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Interesting Labor Law Case (Can a Spouse be held responsible for refusal by the other spouse)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by buffyfan, Mar 19, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

Had an interesting one come in on the machine in the office this afternoon.

Man is being threatened with potential termination because of a "Spouse Attendance Required" evening outing at his place of employment where his spouse REFUSED because she had to be home with the BABY and could not find anyone to watch it. And was not bringing it to a HAPPY HOUR AT A BAR or leaving it home alone to humor his employer's whim of "Spouses attend all events" crap. (not me. I could care less if I see my law firm employees outside work).

This is likely, contractually signed or not, I have not even had that convo yet, a hard road for the employer if he is fired. As it will be hard to justify to a jury, or even get past a summary request from us maybe, how an employer can possibly randomly demand the time of OTHER family members of the employee to attend business events. The employee. Seen it hold up.

Thoughts?

2. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Oh dear! I shall be late!

The only crime I see, is how in the world did their HR department let that slip into company policy? I don't think that would hold up in court. I'm most certain that the employee, depending on what State/Province they are from, has good labor laws that overrule BS contracts. Even if signed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.