1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Gabby Petito

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by buffyfan, Sep 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

Figured this would be a good discussion.

For those who dont know? Gabby and her fiance Brian Laudrie were "all about that Van Life". Florida Native Brian and NY Native Gabby were those people who converted a van as an RV and drove around traveling (Van Life). They were in Utah. Supposedly she was being abusive to him (See later why supposedly) and a day later he was in transit to FL with HER van but not her. There are some REAL inconsistencies here that I will address.

First and foremost HE returned to FL in HER van. With HER phone. And HER possessions. And left her in UTAH. So, technically, potential Grand Theft Auto (The assumptive is usually the person in possession has to have PROOF they were authorized if the owner turns out to be DEAD).

Next? He was back in FL and Brian and the Laundrie family were ignoring her parents requests to know where she was. He retained council the MOMENT he got back to FL. And used that to avoid answering Police questions. At one point they HID the van, and when found FOUGHT surrendering it to police claiming they dont have to. Until police seized it (very likely making sure it was as clean as they could get it). Her phone tracked back to FL then "Disappeared" for a week. And now is showing on some trail app in Puerto Rico. His family removed every bit of her possessions from their home while refusing to speak to the police. Oh. And within MINUTES of her body potentially being found? According to his attorney? He is in "hiding" to avoid getting railroaded for this if it is her body.

This was literally a drunken Partners meeting convo last night and I am going to present this to my Criminal Law class next week. I know I have both sides here so I use you guys on some of these to figure what I will need to ref with the students.

The thought at the meeting was this. His coming back without her? In her Van with her stuff? Then attempting to hide the van and get rid of her stuff? But retaining council the MOMENT he got back to FL? Then when a body being found goes public he is in "hiding"? Seems to turn "That is circumstatial" into a chain of events that I could argue in court as "there is not more evidence because the suspect was in control of the evidence for ALMOST TWO WEEKS and the FL police were "weighing his rights against the investigative need" giving him time to get rid of it.". I would also charge Grand Theft Auto for the van to be sure.

Now the rub to the police call where they ruled her abusive. The Call to the police? Said "A GENTLEMAN is hitting and chasing a woman and had her pinned to a wall by her neck. Threw her against a Van.". But when the cops showed up? They started a little Bro Club with him because by then she was defending herself. Even though the WITNESS who called clearly saw Brian striking her before that. This created the "day of seperation" they were supposed to have. And...... that was the AFTERNOON his phone, her van and her phone started its trek to FL. But now there is a body in UT they believe is hers.

Adding this. His lawyer seems to KNOW where he is. FBI and FDLE (Florida Staties) and local Police are seeking him. The lawyer may end up getting disbarred too if he does not stop playing stupid games hiding Brian.

2. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Another story of a douchebag of a person who should not be allowed to live.
    Killing your girlfriend because she disagrees with you is the lowest form of cowardness a man can be.

3. buffyfan

So I am not the only who who sees this situation as douchy BF and lazy UT cops who ignored the witnesses and took the BFs word as fact.

So other facts I have gotten. BF admitted he hit her first by the end. Cops still threatened to arrest HER and only her. She said he has her phone. He denied it. Found HER PHONE ON HIM. Gave it back to HIM.

Dane likes this.
  4. itshot

itshot Trusted.Member

I'm guessing the little chicken shit with the of mommy and daddy is hiding someplace.
    I hope the bastard doesn't kill himself because I would like to know the reason why he killed her.

5. buffyfan

He is a Van Life person. They are, in my experience, a step over sovereign citizens. He likly thinks he can just tell the cops "No" when they find him and they have to say "He does not accept our authority. Nothing we can do. Oh well.".

If they find him? He is getting charged with Grand Theft Auto at least.

Dane likes this.
  6. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Or do you mean "at most"?

7. buffyfan

I mean at least. He for sure did that. But there is more to come when he is found. Her phone was in FL, then in PR. She was now found in UT so that was not her. His parents were hiding he Van. Disposing of her belongings. Looking like they were setting up, if the body was never found or could not be identified, to say she came back and then left them. Then lying that the son was at the house, now he left within a day of returning home. Retained council who, likely, lied to LEOs about where he was giving him a head start to run. I HAVE convicted on a lot less than this.

8. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

There isn't absolute proof that the boyfriend killed her. Looking at what has been found out so far, I would put the likelihood at 75% that he killed her, directly or indirectly, 15% that his actions lead to her death, and 10% that something else happened. So 90% he did it, 10% we don't know. After the autopsy results the percentages will probably change. My money is on he did it and he should be strung up.

pussycat likes this.
  9. buffyfan

I could convict on what we have now.

Dane and pussycat like this.
  10. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

That's assuming the SOB is still alive.

11. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

Based on what I believe his personality is, I don't think he's the type to commit suicide. But it's possible someone may have strongly encouraged his leaving this life.

Dane likes this.
  12. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

One can only hope so!

13. Thedeepblue2000

Thedeepblue2000 Trusted Member

That guy is as guilty as guilty gets... but knowing how juries vote sometimes... He might get off.. Like that woman Casey Anthony in Florida a while back who killed her little daughter and didn't report her missing for 1 month, meanwhile partying and having a good time. She lied to the police the entire time and told them different fake stories about where her daughter was. The jury found her not guilty.

14. Lambo2468

Lambo2468 Trusted Member

Well one things for sure, it will be interesting when and if they ever find him.

15. pussycat

I like to think that he has now completed his passage through some alligator's colon. :(

16. itshot

itshot Trusted.Member

If the bastard is still alive I bet mom and dad are helping him. The cops should take them down to the police station and talk with them for a few hours, maybe they'll crack.

pussycat likes this.
  17. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Just like the Chinese government does, eh?
    Relative of yours does a crime and they hold you until they get what they want?

Did well for the Nazis and Japanese interrogators during WWII didn't it? Not so well for the innocent
    family member.

MilaHot likes this.
  18. pussycat

Very valid points and I don't disagree.

But you must admit, it's SOP for all our police forces, including yours and mine. I'm not saying it should be, but it is.

Dane likes this.
  19. buffyfan

Surprisingly? You can hold someone, legally, for 48 hours just by saying they are "Material Witnesses" or 10 other things. They DID hide him after he came back. And that was AFTER he used her credit cards. It is pushing it a little but, technically, they could be charged with accessory on that charge. The one they are actually seeking him on. Credit Card Fraud.

20. buffyfan

It is SOP for US LEOs. There were times as a Special Crimes Prosecutor the NYPD tried to hold someone 48 hours and I had to step in and make sure there was SOMETHING THERE. But they can hold you for 48 hours without charges. At minute 2880 they have to charge or release then and there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.