1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Do you believe in climate change?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by Hatham, Jan 12, 2020.

1. geilehorse

geilehorse Trusted Member

I very much believe in humans creating a substantial offset to climatic changes. The climatic models I have seen and worked with (Albeit, only a small handful) are what I would call "valid guesses", and they all have different approaches and sometimes very radical. I think it is necessary to have skeptical opinions - for the right reasons, at least.
    Skepticism is why we can make models based on assumptions, and we are not locked into some need to prove everything before we build models or measure impact - After all, we need a pretty big reason to send off a satellite remote measuring anything from outer space, but it is also extremely difficult to prove any global - and let alone widespread - impact of anything from the ground. Like aerosols for instance, that can be somewhat difficult to measure and quantify accurately, even with remote sensing (At least initially, I think they can correct the measurements pretty well nowadays).

I believe the problem is however that it has become politically driven, and politicians now use climate change as a weapon instead of mediating what science can't to the public, why I believe skepticism is now not so much about discussion rather than political swordfighting.
    Like in my country, how we can claim reduced carbon emissions from our national energy production, however imported energy doesn't count towards this measure - which is very politcally convenient since imported energy has only gone up since we have become more reliant on green energy. Also quite a big share of the imported energy will also be the result from the export amd re-import of green energy due to the issues of storing it. This shouldn't be something to hide, but rather a point, that there is something to improve.
    But instead it must be seen as a case of winning or losing, and this in turn causes a public, who don't scrutinise the science, but rather the political implications of whatever is being said.

Brutus58 and phantom like this.
  2. Bh5153

Bh5153 Trusted.Member

Green energy is a scam. The "Energy Crisis" is political. The European Countries that have gone "green" are also importing gas from Russia. I believe nuclear is best route and it's safer and more environmentally sound than windmills and solar panels. Solar panels have about a five year shelf life and they are made from very toxic materials that you just can't take yo a landfill. You have to get them disposed of properly and it is expensive.

Brutus58 and Macaroni like this.
  3. MOM'sPussySlayer

MOM'sPussySlayer Account Deleted

Well climate change is real, nobody can deny it. This time it is primarily because of human activities. I don't think we will be able to stop it, too many vested interests, millions will die in vulnerable locations. This is not the ideal forum to discuss all that but since I have to complete first 10 posts, here I am.

I am an old member by the way, deleted my previous account. My earlier post is still in this thread under my old name of course.

Incs likes this.
  4. Macaroni

Macaroni Trusted Member

I don't know. But what I do know is that the leftists absolutely do not have good solutions.

5. Macaroni

Macaroni Trusted Member

I was watching an interview of Al Gore on Larry King from 30 years ago. In that interview he said we had "10 years" until climate change is a crisis. 20 years ago they said the same thing. 10 years ago they said the same thing. And recently, people like Ocasio-Cortez has said the same exact "we have 10 years" line. The left has been pushing a climate catastrophe for decades. Even if there is some truth to it, the left has absolutely politicized the issue and they use it all kinds of twisted ways to advance their leftist politics.

6. yelly

yelly Trusted Member

sorry no

7. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

As I have said before, we have been experiencing global warming since the END OF THE ICE AGE!!!! Prior to the Ice Age, there were these critters called DINOSAURS!! The average temperature of the earth was much warmer than it is currently. The Ice Age was/is the abnormality. The cause is believed to be due to combination of MASSIVE meteor strike and volcanic eruptions (think Yellowstone and the like). The resulting fallout debris blocked the suns rays from warming the earth for centuries. No sun, no warming, equals ICE AGE. Even if humans were not here, the earth would still be reverting back to it's original pre-Ice Age temperature. No amount of political posturing, legislation or protests will change that. We are not that significant. Get over it.

Dracoa, LuckyDuck, Dane and 1 other person like this.
  8. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

Dane and Brutus58 like this.
  9. mikemike15301

mikemike15301 Trusted Member

It's really kind of crazy to think that with all of the human activity on Earth that we have had no affect on the planet. Exactly how much difference we have made is the argument. It's the price of advancing technology and progress. I'm sure when the internal combustion engine was invented, the purpose wasn't to release exhaust into the atmosphere. As with anything new, you don't know it's affect until it is put into use.

Dane likes this.
  10. Neophyte

Dane and Brutus58 like this.
  11. Neophyte

12. Neophyte

13. cyrusthegreat333

cyrusthegreat333 Trusted Member

It's real and accelerated by humans
    However extreme weather changes and mass extinction events have happened many times naturally throughout the planets history.
    We are accelerating it and I seriously doubt we'll be able to slow it down enough with many countries especially China and India needing to use and burn coal and gas for the foreseeable future due to how poor a lot of people are.
    I just hope we can stop a mass extinction event from happening at least in the future, the sea level is going to rise quite a bit and some coastal cities will have to adapt.

Incs likes this.
  14. Neophyte

Rising heat levels will not directly cause mass extinctions on Earth. Some changes will happen if habitats are affected, but not to any great extent. What would cause wide spread mass extinction is if the Earth cooled significantly. An Ice Age would seriously affect all life on Earth.

15. Todger

Todger Trusted Member

Everyone seems to ignore the basic fact that the Earth is on an elliptical orbit around the sun. This means that there are times when we are closer to or further away from the sun. There have been Ice Ages, Massive floods and Scorched Earth since the beginning of time. There is no way you can stop what will inevitably happen. I am not saying that we can't do things to slow down the minor changes that are occurring but in the big picture it will happen.

One of the reasons that the basics are being ignored is because it isn't good politics. Governments want to distract you from the truth of their own inabilities. Whilst they get us worrying about climate change, they are getting away with other things that they could have control over.

Dane likes this.
  16. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

There is also a "wobble effect".
    The North Star, Polaris, does not stay true north for long, geologically speaking.
    In another 12 millennium, it will be off center by enough that the star Vega will orient north.

17. Conservative_dad

Conservative_dad Trusted.Member

Al Gore sings, " BALL OF FIRE!"

18. watching1919

watching1919 Trusted Member

Absolutely. The only thing I'll grant the climate change deniers is that putting the onus on every day people to change their habits in order to save the environment is stupid. The vast majority of emissions come from corporations and getting them to change their ways is the only way to ensure the planet survives for as long as possible. We are just drops in the bucket by comparison.

19. jamesmallardfranco

jamesmallardfranco Trusted Member

Belief is not required.
    Belief infers by its nature acceptance of something without evidence.

There is strong evidence for climate change as a result of global warming, thus belief is not required.

20. Neophyte

There really isn't any disagreement that Climate Change exists. The disagreement is that there is no evidence that a catastrophe is about to happen. There is evidence that the doomsayers are lying. As long as these Climate Apocalypse people continue to lie, there will be people that refuse to accept what they are saying. If you want solidarity among all people, the Doomsayers must stop lying. Of course most people believe that if the Doomsayers don't lie, then there will be those that won't accept that the world is ending. So should the Doomsayers lie about the world ending and have people refuse to believe them, or should the Doomsayers tell the truth that the world is not ending and that they want people to obey their dictates.

LuckyDuck likes this.