1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

2nd Amendment

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by buffyfan, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

I do agree that staunch 2nd supporters such as myself understand that some regulation in not just needed, but required in order not to fan anarchy.

But even though the 2nd doesn't state "A citizen, in good standing from birth", that is in effect how the law is now.
    If you are a convicted felon, or have been diagnosed with mental problems, it is illegal to own or possess a firearm.
    Most 2nd supporters don't have a problem with that, but in the fact that once a convicted felon pays his dues to
    society, many believe their 2nd right should be re-instated. (as well as right to vote)

Brutus58 likes this.
  2. Dan_R

Dan_R Trusted Member

Thanks for posting that. There are many other restrictions as well. We (generally) can't own automatic weapons. We can't own grenade launchers, or other arms that are considered for a contemporary militia. For me this raises the question of intent of the word "militia." We clearly don't have an unrestricted right to possess firearms, so it's a matter of where the line is rather than if there should be a line.

Dane and pussycat like this.
  3. whitecoffee1

whitecoffee1 Moderator Staff Member

Can you own and bear arms that were present at the time the 2nd ammendment was ratified?

Dane likes this.
  4. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Yes, and they are considered "primitive weapons". So anyone can possess them whenever.

whitecoffee1 likes this.
  5. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

A militia is not an army. The founding fathers wrote the 2nd without having a clue about current armament.
    We allow complete armament without restriction to our armed forces so that they can defend us no matter what.
    The 2nd was put in place to be sure the elected officials remember THEY work for US!
    But unfortunately, all democrats, some republicans, have decided it doesn't apply to them.

Brutus58 likes this.
  6. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

Dane, that's unfair of you. Nobody agrees on everything, regardless of which tribe you care to lump them in.
    Were I an American (thankfully I'm not), I would be naturally inclined to vote Republican in normal (pre-Trump) times, but that doesn't mean I'm pro-life or that I believe in Jesus. It means I'm a fiscal conservative who prefers less government interference.
    Similarly, being a Democrat doesn't mean one is opposed to the 2nd amendment, it could easily be because they don't have a health plan and would like one they could afford.
    That's whats wrong, you've all become this "us or them" mentality - a nation divided against itself.

7. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

I disagree. There are bad policies on both sides. If it would make a difference, I'd be Independent.
    But that is a death nail to ones voting.

But not living here, and you only seeing the liberal biased media, you are, like most of the world,
    in believing that the democrats aren't opposed to the 2nd.

The reality is they DO want to take All of our firearms away!
    You hear what is media aired, I hear what they say, in person, in attending the rallies and speeches.

" No One Should Have The Right Own A Firearm" has been said, and I heard personally.

Many times. So please don't tell me from an outsiders opinion what I have experienced first hand.

The democrats are bent on destroying our constitution. I say this with open eyes and open ears,
    personally myself to what they said and still say.

itshot and Brutus58 like this.
  8. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Many Democrats have openly and repeatedly said they want to shred the constitution and all the amendments and write a new one. Biden has said when elected president he will order troops door to door and CONFISCATE ALL GUNS!!!! When confronted by a UAW worker a couple of weeks later, about this, he called the guy an asshole ( or something to that effect) and proceeded to deny he ever said it. I did see him live on TV when he said it. So I know. Amazing how CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN and CNBC all "lost" that recorded footage from that campain stop.

itshot and Dane like this.
  9. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

Ok, not all Democrats are anti 2nd Amendment. The Democrat voters are about 70% against the 2nd. The Democrat politicians are about 90% against the 2nd, but the remaining 10% have been cowered into submission to the 90%. Given the opportunity, the Democrats will strip 2nd Amendment rights from the people, then they will strip other rights that they find troublesome.

Dane and Brutus58 like this.
  10. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

That is the same thing. If someone has a right, and said right is not restricted in the right, there can not be a consequence. A Right is a Right.

By the way. You have to remember. I support my right to own a 50 mm ship cannon if I want.

11. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Such as the FIRST!! FREEDOM of SPEECH and religion.

12. Neophyte

The 2nd is what the Democrats are attacking the most, next is the 1st, they are doing some small things to the 4th and next will come the 5th and 6th. The Democrats find the entire Constitution a hindrance to their bid for power.

13. Neophyte

It is not the same thing, a regulation is a punishment to all people, every single one regardless of guilt, where consequences are targeted to offending individuals.

Brutus58 and JoshuaMN like this.
  14. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

You noticed that too!!

15. hellohello

hellohello Trusted Member

Gun control = restricting people from mandatory gun registration. If registration doesn't prevent someone from owning a firearm, I see no problem with it.

16. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Because it then gives the government a list of people to disarm first.
    Gun registration has always ended up in government confiscation.
    The only exception yet is Switzerland, but that is because they require all males to have military enlistment and training and
    are issued a firearm that they must keep until about age 34.

Akbloke and Brutus58 like this.
  17. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Gun registration = gun confiscation. Worked for the Nazis, it will work for the liberals and ANTIFA.

Dane likes this.
  18. hellohello

hellohello Trusted Member

Well, this isn't the case for US States. OFC, there are arguments to be made as to why that is. I know a few states with mandatory firearm registry and robust gun rights.

19. eisbaer63

eisbaer63 New Member

The "Kentucky" and "Pennsylvania" rifles, were originally intended for HUNTING, not war... Do a little research, next time.
    Yes, they happened to work VERY well, for sniping "per se"... But warfare was NOT their original purpose.
    Among other things, these rifles were slower to reload, than a military musket, and unable to take a bayonet. The Kentucky rifles, especially, tended to be "small bore" - .32-.50 caliber; NOT what military minds of the time normally considered as effective for combat.

20. Immortal1

Immortal1 Trusted Member

California has been trying to get rid of the 2nd Amendment for a while now. As far as the "red flag", California already has it.