1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

What is it with Old People lately?!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by buffyfan, May 24, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

A lot of young people are lazy because they just don't want to work. Their parents have taken care of then their entire life and they want it to continue. If not by their parents, then by someone else or the government. People have traded their freedom for security. Being free is frightening so they opt for security.

Brutus58 and itshot like this.
  2. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

Or? They just dont CARE that you are their "elder" with all the "wisdom" that comes with thinking tradition is important. I really think, based on some responses, that you are just pissed off that "kids these days" dont care how you did things, how things were when you were their age, or whether you deferred to your "wise elders" on things.

3. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

Well, the people where I live are not lazy. I've been working even since I turned XX, myself. My brothers all started working at XX. So... not all are lazy.
    And, as we say, the kids are how their parents raised them to be

Sorry, no mentioning of ages under 18 are allowed. Neo

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2022
    Brutus58 likes this.
  4. Neophyte

Young lawyer: I think we should forget precedence and do things my way, because I know everything and my way will work.

5. Neophyte

I didn't say All, I said A Lot. You seem not to read what is written and read what you want to see.

6. buffyfan

Never met a lawyer who did that. Let me rephrase. Never met one with a current license. Met many older people who have tried to file "Age Discrimation suits" because a "kid" was promoted and they had "seniority". Discovery after discovery? it was found the "kid" innovated and HR write up after HR write up on the "seniority" person shows they had to be told "Associate for 20 years or 1 day are equal. Managers are everyone's bosses. Being here longer does not mean you "supervise" the new person.". I specifically know someone who runs a major accounting group for an Insurance Broker (Think "for the US"). His manager, for three years, tried to get him fired. Because he was "lazy" and did not want to do "write things on paper.............. then run an adding machine tape................ then attach it...........". He didnt get fired because he was using Excel, Macros, spoke to the Manager's Manager when she told him to "shut up and do it my way". She, until she retired early out of anger, worked for him in less than 2 years. Because he streamlines the workflow, making it easier to do the data processing, letting the staff focus on.......... the problems and fixing things that dont match up, rather than the minutia of "by hand". So they were able to take on the stuff that was with other accounting units (the commission department for example was able to be absorbed into AR). But to her and her "allies"? He was Lazy because he didnt want to do it like she was trained to in 1970.

The law equivalent? "Yes you can get precedent off of the computer searchers....... but I was taught to go to a law library and go through books BY HAND.". By the way. Precedent says whatever the judge decides it says. So, yes, the "kid" likely could win over the "wisened elder" easily. All they need is a reason the precedent is...... wrong. Precedent is simply "A judge ruled about this way once". It is not the ironclad, unbreakable single truth TV makes it out to be. Precedent arguments are, many times, weeks or months long. Not "Judge Joe in 1971 ruled......." and over.

7. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

My message didn't imply anything sexual, but about working, so I don't understand why it was edited

8. buffyfan

Rule is no references at all.

9. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

"A lot" ? 100,000 is "a lot".

100,000 is 1 % of the "young people" in the USA.

"A lot" is a rather meaningless comment.

10. pussycat

Neophyte is correct, Mila. Ages under 18 may not be mentioned under any context, there is a very good reason for it.

It wasn't personal.

MilaHot likes this.
  11. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

I commend you and your brothers for starting to work at a younger age. You're all in the minority. It appears that the you all have been raised with a strong work ethic the rest of the young ones DON'T have. Just a real world observation.

I too started working when I was younger. Grew up on a farm. Long hours and hard work was the rule of every day. Reason I have a masters degree. The work was not as labor intensive, but VERY stressful and still long hours at times. The income was quite good and made up for the hours.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2022
  12. pussycat

Define "young". Or "old", if you prefer.

I'm 40. To Brutus58, I'm one of those "young" people. To Mila, I'm one of the "old people".

Dane and Brutus58 like this.
  13. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

uite
    I'm 64. I think of you as being in my age group. Maybe at the edge, but still within the range.

14. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

Nah, I think "old" and "young" is all in the head :)

15. Neophyte

I'm just making a statement exactly like you are doing. But if its against your position, so you need to attack it. I don't even believe the statement I made. I was just pointing out how your statements look like.

16. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

I know a fast-food owner of two reastaurants and even with the worker shortage, has no problem finding enough kids to hire to
    work at his stores.
    He pays a decent wage, so he get applicants daily.
    He told me the problem is, "They don't want to fucking work! They want to come in and act like my store is the local place
    to meet for work and goof off and do nothing but talk".

He said he has found out, that when he can, he hires mature men (over 20) whenever he can no matter the experience,
    even for manager trainee, because all the boys still high-school, all they will do is focus on talking to the girls instead
    of doing the assigned tasks. (and the girls are glad to oblige).
    He and/or manager on-duty, spends WAY too much time overseeing the younger guys.
    Doesn't happen very much, or at all with the older guys. They understand they were hired to work.

It has nothing to do with "the old fashioned way". You put the burger on the grill, chicken, fish, French fries in the fryer.
    When done, you take them out, assemble the meal and give it the front end server.
    There are many businesses where the "old fashioned" way is still the best.

Go into retail outlet and ask for help. the "NEW WAY" is to push a button on a pole and then wait 15 minutes for a worker
    to decide you are worth their time and is they actually show up, instead of leading to the product, they point down the
    main store isle and "tell" you what isle it is in.
    Or, in a place like Walmart, customer service for help is all but non-esistent.

Go into a smaller retail outlet, who still does it the "old fashioned way" and you get all the help you need.

There are a lot of other businesses that still do it the old fashioned way because they know it works and it works the best.
    They al have tried the "new and improved" way, only to resort back because costomers/profits were lost.

Just because you read an example of how one IT tech is able to do what used to take 30 hours, they get done in 8, isn't proof
    that all these businesses are doing thing the Dark Ages way. Nor does it mean everyone over 55 won't learn or conform
    to a more expediant way of getting things done.

In fact, most businesses today have come to realize the 'senior' employee has so much value in their experience, they
    are willing to pay top $$ to hire or retain them.
    How many seniors, who went into retirement, are now double-dippers? More than ever.

Brutus58 likes this.
  17. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Not according to the doctors who send me for all these different tests because I'm "OLD".

Dane likes this.
  18. buffyfan

Actually that pole thing is, more often than not, because they schedule a bare minimum of employees, and this goes back to the late 90s when I was doing those jobs. They "skeleton crew" the place to "save money". I was the only person over legal purchase age when I worked at CVS at night besides the Manager. No matter how many people needed help and hit the button? There was no "going and helping them out" because I had to be at the register. I was the only one who could sell cigarettes, as I was the only one old enough to legally do it.

In many clothing stores workers are told to not stop folding no matter what. Gets busy, keep folding. Never know when a corporate inspector might show up to see how neat we keep the store mid day. Real thing at the Federated Owned stores. They send in corporate spies to make sure that at 2 pm the shelves are still neatly folded. But corporate also complains about how stores need to start cutting hours to keep profit up.

But quantify what your friend pays. If you say a "decent wage" is 8 or 9 an hour? You get what you pay for. But this conversation was never teens vs 20s. It has always been "Older people and their wisdom" and "young people are lazy and disrespectful" and the same people who say "young people, you are owed nothing!" tend to turn around and say "Show me the respect I am OWED as your ELDER". Sorry. A lot of the "entitlement" complaints I have heard and seen? Boil down to a young person, who in no way answers to an older person not showing "proper respect" and "mouths off". Or, as I pointed out, people with 20 years "seniority" thinking that means someone with the same title "works for them because my seniority in the industry means you need to do what I say".

In the end, there are entitled people on both sides. Only one side says "No one is owed anything" and "I am OWED RESPECT DUE MY AGE". It may very well be that I only deal with seasoned, filtered and proven people who are not in their 20s with Law Students and associates. Because if you survive Law (or for that matter Med, and most high level grad programs) a lot of entitlement does go away. Given it can come back when they make partner............

And if entitlement shows up in the other sector? I fire them on the spot and call one of the 10 people at all times who want to work for us. I just dont see this "generation of entitlement" in young people. I have been assaulted or watched someone else by multiple old people for not "doing as I was told" on a random street. Hit with a cane because I didnt hold a door for a guy HALF A BLOCK AWAY.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    TittyKitty likes this.
  19. buffyfan

First job well before college. WELL. The longest I was ever not "Gainfully employed" after that? Meaning working 20+ hours? Was undergrad and grad semesters. have not been unemployed more than 2 weeks after that.

Brutus58 likes this.
  20. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

I've been "gainfully" retired for the past 6 years. Does that make me unemployed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.