1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

The pros and cons of opinions

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by pussycat, Jul 26, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

Statistically speaking, using the alternate facts method, those who chose the correct answer:

A: vote for Trump
    B: have the IQ of a walnut
    C: all of the above

:cool::D:D:p

2. Incs

Incs Account Deleted

To get back to the topic of opinions, reasonable people would agree that not all opinions are equal. If my teeth hurt and my car broke down, I know to go to the dentist for an opinion on how to get my teeth fixed and to a mechanic for an opinion about my car. Not vice versa.

Unfortunately, the last couple of years have shown a remarkable trend away from trusting expert opinions. I have never seen so many people suddenly thinking they should ignore the opinions of virologists, climate scientists, or economists while at the same time following non-experts who say "Only I can fix it". It's fine to question authority, but outright rejecting the factually supported expert advice of global scientific communities while putting great confidence in obvious con men really makes me question the judgment of large parts of the population. Their "opinions" are often not so much about sharing knowledge than about imposing power.

TittyKitty and pussycat like this.
  3. TittyKitty

TittyKitty Communudist Catgirl

And an assumption that people will understand that the top hyroglyphics are a sequence, without arrows to indicate that, and with a weird difference in spacing between the figures and the question mark.

I know what is intended because I have encountered this type of question before, and that allows me to make presumptions about what is and isn't relevant in the image. i.e. because of what I have learnt.

The question at no point shows the line and the dot overlapping. D even LOOKS invalid, if you have learnt that a circle with a line through it means NO. With a presumption that you can't ever have both in the same quadrant, consider the following set of actions:

Start at the first figure...
    * if not blocked by green, rotate red clockwise one quadrant.
    * if not blocked by red, flip green to its opposite quadrant.

You are now at the second figure.

You are now at the third figure.

You are now at A, which is the same as 1 again!
    But the sequence continues...

You are now at 2.

You are now at C.

You are now at B.
    This set of rules actually forms a very interesting set of behaviours!

Rubber duck 2 likes this.
  4. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

Oh it has been more than a "few years" now. I have friends who have been preaching that "Vegan Diet and Yoga will heal everything from headaches to CANCER" for at least 15 years. Who's opinion is that medicine is evil and a scam because their "Yogi said so". How many parents do we know that think the fact they may have orgasm-ed in the creation of the child in the doctors office (We will never know if she did barring a Poly) means they know more than the MD. You know? The person who studied and likely practiced MEDICINE since the parents were a twinkle in THEIR DADDY'S eye. Parents who listen to their friend who owns a healthfood store or GNC franchise over MDs. Lets not even get started on 100+ years where we humored Christian Scientists who let their kids die because their RELIGION says all they can do is pray and "lay hands".

Dane and Incs like this.
  5. pussycat

This isn't directed at any specific individual, but to people at large.

In a free society, "freedom of speech" could reasonably be interpreted as "freedom to express your opinion" (subject to obvious limits). This forum is an expression of those freedoms. We allow, indeed provide a venue for, the reasonable expressions of opinion.

I respect, and will always champion for "your" rights to express your opinion. The problem lately seems to be that a large percentage of people seem to feel that therefore "we" are also obliged to respect their opinion.

We are not. No one is.

In my opinion.

Incs, MilaHot and TittyKitty like this.
  6. TittyKitty

TittyKitty Communudist Catgirl

The limits, perhaps, are not necessarily so obvious, and subject again to the tyranny of "opinion" ;)

You also raise a salient point that the right to express an opinion confers no associated right to respect of that opinion.

PEOPLE are entitled to respect. OPINIONS are not.

If your opinion is shit, you get to keep what hits the fan. In my opinion. ;-b

Rubber duck 2 likes this.
  7. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Alex Jones is finding out real soon just how someone's "opinion" can end up costing them millions of dollars.

Incs likes this.
  8. pussycat

I hope it does cost him everything he ever owned.

But after all the grief and misery he caused to the relatives of the victims, I really think he should be sodomized with a cattle prod.

MilaHot, Dane and Incs like this.
  9. buffyfan

I heard the loudest belly laugh today in the office. One of the partners read what is lawyers asked. They want the jury to find for 1 dollar per claim in the suit. Because millions will "Ruin Him". They just openly argued that he should get a slap on the wrist so HIS COMPANY IS NOT ADVERSELY EFFECTED.

Dane and Incs like this.
  10. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Every Day!

11. buffyfan

There is an entire state that quoted "IN THEIR OPINION, because a doctor 110 years ago wrote a paper that in his opinion ectopic can survive and be born" (dont remember if it was SD or OK), so they dont need danger to the mother in an ectopic. Because "in their OPINION that can be a safe birth too!".

Incs likes this.
  12. buffyfan

4.1 million. A few months revenue.

13. Andy G

Andy G Trusted Member

Opinions are like assholes,
    Everyone has them,
    And many (most) are full of shit.

(I heard this years ago, but a quick Google search doesn't give me a believable source)

Incs and MilaHot like this.
  14. MilaHot

MilaHot Account Deleted

Oh I never heard that one but I like it :D

15. pussycat

Add on another 45 million, and more lawsuits to come.

Incs and Dane like this.
  16. pussycat

I would imagine it predates Google by a few millennia.

17. Andy G

Andy G Trusted Member

Although... YouTube did have a cellphone video submitted by Plato of Socrates saying it...

18. buffyfan

Didnt read they found the penalty phase number yet.

So it did. That 45, unfortunately will likely shrink on appeal.

19. pussycat

True, but there are more lawsuits pending, and now a standard has been set. Hopefully it will ruin him before it's finished.

Incs likes this.
  20. buffyfan

His lawyer screwed up. But so did he. In a previous case he claimed he believed everything he said. But, in his divorce, at the same time as that trial said? In relation to his fitness to have partial custody? It was all an act. This rube needs to start hiring lawyers who are COMPETENT. He also needs to stop avoiding depositions constantly. That mistake by the newest lawyer likely happened because Alex was ordering them to "STALL STALL STALL! They will run out of money to sue and we have to give nothing!". Then the court orders for him to cooperate or else came in and the lawyer had to SCRAMBLE to meet the deadline now. Because, months later, the courts wont say "OK. New deadline is 4 months from now to 'give you time' or else.". Likely more like "you have 48 hours to present ALL DISCOVERY or sanctions and discipline actions.".

Incs likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.