1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

What is the latest book you are reading

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by allison17, Mar 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allison17

allison17 Trusted.Member

That is true. I'll check it out. ;):)

2. Strider

Strider Trusted.Member

I thought it was a great trilogy, if exceptionally depressing at times.

Great book! :D But you're absolutely right, it is a much different read than LOTR.

As for my own book report:

"A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms" by George R.R. Martin. It's a prequel to the Song of Ice and Fire series, set roughly 100 years before the events of Game of Thrones. It follows the adventures of a hedge knight, Ser Duncan the Tall (commonly called Dunk) and his squire, Egg (short for Aegon Targaryen, fifth of his name, future king of Westeros.) The novel is actually a collection of three short stories:

The Hedge Knight - Details how Dunk and Egg first met, a tournament attended by the Targaryen princes, and Dunk participating in a trial by combat.

The Sworn Sword (my personal favorite) - Dunk and Egg defend a elderly knight against Lady Rohanne Webber "The Red Widow" in a dispute over a stream during a long drought.

The Mystery Knight - Dunk and Egg attend a tournament at a wedding feast, which they accidentally uncover as a gathering of traitors plotting rebellion against the Iron Throne.

Fun note: The Hedge Knight and Sworn Sword are also available in graphic novel form.

allison17 likes this.
  3. Princess Amy

Princess Amy Account Deleted

I may not be real family but i love you just as much.

LoverBoy likes this.
  4. Princess Amy

Hitlerjunge Schall. Die Tagebücher eines jungen Nationalsozialisten
    By
    André Postert
    The diaries of a young Nazi provide a glimpse into the mind of a young person taken in by a totalitarian ideology.
    Franz Albrecht Schall was fifteen years old in 1928. Over the next seven years, he kept a detailed and vivid diary in which he recorded the most important aspect of his life: his involvement with the Hitler Youth. While diaries and memoirs of young Nazis have been published before, this document is unique. Covering a long period of time from 1928 to 1935, as the Nazis rose to power, it gives a fascinating insight into the mind of a young man who never wavers in his ideological attachment, and into the inner workings of Nazi youth organisations. It is a revealing account of Schall’s journey into adulthood, his perception of the role he thinks he needs to play to create a unified Germany, and the effects Nazi ideology had on his idealistic views.
    Despite growing up in a middle-class, academic family – his father is a professor of theology and friend of the author Hermann Hesse – Schall is drawn to far-right propaganda early on via local and regional youth groups. His early diaries refer to group events that propagate values such as discipline and proper dress, thus creating a grassroots platform for Nazi ideology. Schall records rallies, parades, political lectures and publicity tours as well as his personal impressions of the Führer. His description of these events is particularly vivid: the mass hysteria and his own enthusiasm are fascinating to observe and sound a warning note in the face of current mass political movements.
    Editor André Postert, a researcher at the Hannah Arendt Institute for Research on Totalitarianism, provides insightful and accessible introductions to the events of each year, alongside further information on what happened to Schall after his diaries come to an end. His father is arrested in 1937 on suspicion of state treason. In 1940, Schall serves in the war in Russia, but is deemed unfit for service after he is seriously injured and almost loses a leg. His brother Leo is killed, alongside many of Schall’s friends. Schall later claimed that this opened his eyes to the senselessness of the war and to Hitler’s madness.
    These diaries are a potent reminder of the power and seductiveness of extremist political movements, and essential reading for anyone who wants to understand how the Nazis used young people’s enthusiasm for their own purposes, long before they actually came to power.

allison17 likes this.
  5. allison17

allison17 Trusted.Member

I am still on the shack. I only read a little at the time. I was told about it because it would help me deal with depression after his little daughter was kidnapped and killed and how he fought back to get his life under control. The poor guy was actually going outside to help his son. and when they got back to their house she was gone and never seen again. They lived on a river.

LoverBoy likes this.
  6. Manowar13

Manowar13 Trusted Member

Psycho Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz

allison17 likes this.
  7. Sointo

Sointo New Member

Would you recommend it? I love ASoIaF and cant wait for the winds of winter..

Strider likes this.
  8. Princess Amy

Still reading Hitlerjunge Schall. Die Tagebücher eines jungen Nationalsozialisten

9. allison17

allison17 Trusted.Member

I am through with the shack, what a heartbreaking story. But it is good if anyone wants to check it out. But I am warning you it will bring a tear to your eye's

Princess Amy likes this.
  10. Princess Amy

so whats next

allison17 likes this.
  11. allison17

allison17 Trusted.Member

I am not sure. I was thinking about an Autobiography about a famous person or sports star. I won't know until I walk in the Library and look around. I never go in with a plan. :)

Princess Amy likes this.
  12. Princess Amy

lol:)

allison17 likes this.
  13. muffdiver

muffdiver RIP (1948-2017)

I just finished the 6 book series I was reading. Had a good ending based on biblical readings only the sci fi edition of it.

Princess Amy and allison17 like this.
  14. Princess Amy

what was it.

allison17 likes this.
  15. muffdiver

A series called Dark Space.

allison17 likes this.
  16. Princess Amy

Thats a good series. The toon series follow the books almost to the word. And the games are better yet.

allison17 likes this.
  17. Strider

Strider Trusted.Member

I would absolutely recommend it, though then you'll be waiting for the next Hedge Knight story as well. lol GRRM does love to torment us.

allison17 likes this.
  18. allison17

allison17 Trusted.Member

I went and got the autobiography of Richard Petty since I am a Nascar race fan. :)

Princess Amy likes this.
  19. Princess Amy

Killing Lincoln

Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination That Changed America Forever is a book by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard concerning the 1865 assassination of U.S. President Abraham Lincoln. The book was released on September 27, 2011.

allison17 likes this.
  20. muffdiver

A new series called The Blackwell Files

allison17 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.