1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

USMCA ! Trudeau "It's a good day for Canada".

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by Dane, Oct 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

United States Mexico Canada Agreement

I, for one, am extremely happy a deal was reached to replace NAFTA with something more fair to all.

Brutus58 likes this.
  2. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

What was unfair about the old one?

:confused:

3. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

NAFTA allowed Mexico and Canada to import items that were of a lower tariff to their own country and then sell it to a US
    buyer at a lower tariff than if it was to come directly from the originating country.

That is one of the major problems Trump had with Canada. Canada has a low tariff on steel from China, we have a low
    tariff on steel from Canada, but because of the high tariff China has on our steel, the US has very high tariff on steel from China.
    ( China has an extremely high tariff on rice, soybeans, plastics, textiles. etc. from the US, all things the Chinese government guaranteed a minimum price to it's own producers)

So Canadian middle men were buying the steel from China and then selling it to US buyers.
    That allowed 'dumping' into our economy at our expense when the high tariff was set with China because of the
    high tariffs China has on most US exports.

And it was played out with a lot more products than steel. But because of the lower volume of the other products it
    did not constitute 'dumping' even though it still hurt our economy.

4. Dreofanarchy

Dreofanarchy Uncle looking for his niece

It was outdated and did need revisions for the ever changing economy. However the way Trump tried to bully us into submission was uncalled for. He attacked all his allies and cozied up to the enemies. That’s a dictator in the making

pussycat likes this.
  5. pussycat

Dane, all you said was true, but this new trade agreement doesn't address that at all. The tariffs on steel and aluminum are not effected, they're still in place. This USMCA does not cover the steel dispute. We had a year of ranting and screaming and bullshit and in the end we changed bugger all.
    So I'd ask you again. What was so unfair about the old one?

6. pussycat

That's exactly what he is.

7. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Not a dictator! He doesn't control us and we can remove him from office. Our constitution puts the power in congress, not the president. A president can't
    become a dictator. We'd just remove him, or invalidate his authority.

Pussycat,
    1) Autos must be 75% American as opposed to the NAFTA 62%. At a minimum pay to the auto worker of $16 an hour. That's better for us.
    2) You're right about the steel tariffs, but they are now not subject to our higher tariffs. A good thing for Mexico and Canada, but only for
    60 days. It got the whole thing back into the focus of both our leaders.
    3) The high dairy tariffs Canada subjected the US to are now relaxed. Opening the trade on dairy to be more equal.
    4) The openness now to remedy any disparities after 6 years instead of the old NAFTA provision to just terminate the agreement if
    something was considered unfixable. This was one of the major sticking points that Mexico and Canada had with NAFTA.
    5) A higher dollar level of duty-free purchases. Mexico and Canada both were extremely low- Mexico was $50, now $100.
    Canada was $20 and is now $150. The US exemption is $100.

8. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

I can understand your frustration. We finally have a president since Reagan that has some balls to stand up for us.
    It's understandable that all other countries are upset because they aren't getting their way unfettered anymore.

Brutus58 likes this.
  9. Dreofanarchy

Well see you have a Republican senate and congress that concede to what he wants. He could also refuse the right to leave office and that is in the American constitution. Ie if a war started and he felt he was the best to lead it he can stay in power as long as he wants. It is possible so yes, by all definitions he is a dictator in a democracy styled costume.

Also Canadian dairy is leaps and bounds higher quality then the US dairy market and now we are being forced to sell it in our stores, however the joke is on the US now because us Canadians won’t buy it to support our farmers.

10. Dreofanarchy

If this doesn’t say dictator in the making then I give up lol

Attached Files:

11. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

I'm not sure why you didn't give the same title to Obama. He had 16 times the amount of executive orders ( some were even illegal-
    but it took too long in congress as no democrat would vote for the repeal), of any president before him.

Brutus58 likes this.
  12. pussycat

Thats the point that everyone seems to be missing. We have allowed them access to a miniscule portion of our market, sure call it a concession and Trump can brag about it. It's meaningless. Just because the US dairy can ship more of their crap here doesn't mean we are obliged to buy it. I know I won't.

13. pussycat

Probably because he was relatively benevolent dictator. :)

Or, Obama was a gentleman and we liked him. Trump is an ass hole and we detest him. Clear enough?

14. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

Whose 'we' is this, may I ask ?
    Trump's been okay for Canada, it seems to me - Keystone for starters.

Dane and Brutus58 like this.
  15. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

You and a whole bunch of others in the world liked Obama, especially as you put it, a "benevolent dictator",
    because he all but gave away our country. Him and his cronies like Pelosi ,Hillary and all the Hollywood " I hate anything righteous" crowd,
    continually are trying to give away our sovereignty.

Trump has been good for the USA and the rest of the world is crying "FOUL!" because they are getting cut off of the American titty.
    A weaning process is always painful to those who have been acting like spoiled brats.

But Pussycat, please let us not allow this to become a rant filled thread. I value your opinions, whether they align with mine or not.

I agree that Trump isn't a great president. But he at least is the first one since Reagan that has put the USA first in his policies.
    Our jobs and economy are doing fine under his direction. And NO, it is NOT because of a road laid down by Obama. It is because
    Trump immediately trashed the majority of Obama's executive orders, which were doing nothing but increasing the size of government
    and the costs therein.

Brutus58 likes this.
  16. pussycat

We = me, and the 33 million other Canadians according to every poll I've noticed. Yes, I know there are some Trump supporters here. Mostly in Alberta, and thats the same bunch that gave us the Reform party, which speaks volumes for their IQ.

We = most of the rest of the world it would seem.

However, you're free to have an opinion.

:):)

Brutus58 likes this.
  17. pussycat

Ranting is good. People do it here all the time.

:D:D

As long as you're not flaming the other guy.

;)

Brutus58 likes this.
  18. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Brutus58 and Dane like this.
  19. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Have no idea who or what the Reform party is. Care to enlighten me?

20. pussycat

Brutus58 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.