1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

US firm apologises for seeking 'preferably Caucasian' candidate

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by pussycat, Apr 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

A US recruitment firm has been accused of racism after posting a job advert stating that it would prefer to hear from white candidates.

Cynet Systems listed the account manager role on a number of websites, including LinkedIn and Glassdoor.

In the job description, it said the ideal applicant would be "preferably Caucasian who has good technical background including knowledge of RPA".

Cynet Systems later apologised and removed the listing.

Insp Gadget and Brutus58 like this.
  2. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

Is this descrimination? Or is it simply a company stating what its requirements are? Maybe they are jammed full of "visible minority" employees and need a "white" person in order to appeal to a segment of the market they are missing out on.

But nobody seems to care, everybody's screaming "racist" at them. Which I find amusing, as a little research will find that the company is owned by two Indian gentlemen.

3. incest_otter

incest_otter Trusted.Member

Hmmm. On the face of it, it does come across as pretty racist. But there's a lot we don't know. As you say, they may already have a very diverse workplace and, in fact, need more Caucasian employees. I personally don't understand it, because I can kind of relate to almost anyone, but some people prefer to receive customer service and the like from people similar to themselves, so they can easily relate to them on various cultural levels. In my country, there is HUGE emphasis on this when it comes to certain minorities. Those minorities MUST have people of their own ethnicity working with them in a healthcare setting, for instance. Special workers come into mediate. But, for the most part, only one minority is catered for by this. New Zealand is a very multicultural nation. We have tonnes of Chinese, Indians, folks from the middle east. But their cultural differences aren't catered to the way the 'indigenous' Maori are. Double standards, but I digress. Again - I don't get it - but some people relate better to people of their ethnic and cultural group. So this could very easily be about making sure caucasian customers are catered to. Not that you're allowed to do such things. Anything that in any way favors a white person over a brown person is, these days, racist. I've even seen the word Negro lambasted, and it's actually technical anthropological language!

Things are getting out of hand and a whole bunch of morons out there seem to think fighting racism with racism is actually going to work, as if two wrongs ever make a right, or as if race is important in the slightest. Most of the anti-racist rhetoric out there makes little sense and is often racist itself.

I'm not sure about the ad though. We'd need to know more about it to properly judge.

Dane, Insp Gadget and Brutus58 like this.
  4. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

I will add though, race is really a difference of culture, not of color.

Brutus58 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.