1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Trump

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by Nerdboy, Jun 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smitty

Smitty Trusted.Member

Ha ha right Neo, they like calling their lies “ Alternative Facts”

2. MrDude

MrDude Trusted Member

I don't think I'm making that mistake, in fact I think I was specifically saying that those are separate things. "Free Press" can lie and misinform as much as they care to, and it's still the "Free Press" as long as it's free from government interference.

I was responding to the following statement:
    The answers seems to be stuck on that "Free" point, so let's drop it entirely and see if I can get more of a straight answer:
    Why don't you think the President of a free democracy should have to answer to the press, regardless of how they may phrase their questions or what bias' they carry or whether they hate America (they're still citizens) or whatever label you want to put on them?
    Why should stature, power or success make a democratically elected public servant immune to critique from his/her constituency?

3. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

They do not represent his constituency - they represent the interests of the foreign shareholders whom your weak system has allowed to buy up and take control your media. You can look up who owns your media by yourself - it's easy.

Brutus58 and itshot like this.
  4. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

The democrats have made us exactly what you say. They totally control (or are in control) of main stream media.
    Our only way to the truth is through private outlets (like what Neophyte posts) or AM talk radio-don't get me wrong
    on that, I know the AM radio pundits can, and do, put their spin on it too, just nowhere near the blatant lying
    the big media outlets do.

Insp Gadget likes this.
  5. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Because it isn't critique, it's manipulation and skewing of the facts in order to present him as an enemy to the people.
    They do it to try to turn the spotlight off themselves that he has shone on them for the world to see how they operate
    with lies and twisted facts.

Insp Gadget likes this.
  6. MrDude

MrDude Trusted Member

I did a little research as you suggested, and it looks like all five of the major media conglomerates are publicly traded companies on NASDAQ or NYSE. The largest shareholders are mostly US Investment Firms like Vanguard and BlackRock, who in turn are mostly made up of mutual funds that are owned by pension plans and retirement 401k plans, and even they don't own more than ~4-8% of the shares. So there may be some foreign ownership, but the ownership structure of all of them are far too diffuse to conclude that they "represent the interests of foreign shareholders whom... control your media". Their primary interest is making money so they their stock price stays high, but that's a general capitalistic interest that seems very American to me.

7. MrDude

MrDude Trusted Member

Lordy, you guys really should be lawyers with how important the fine print is to you. I ask questions about President Trump and first we go off on a tangent about what "free press" means, and now we're potentially off on a tangent about what a "critique" is. I think the gist of what ya'll are saying is that Trump shouldn't be subjected to questions from the mainstream media because you believe the media as an institution is too corrupt or broken to exercise their rights under the 1st amendment. Kind of like how a criminal who has broken certain laws shouldn't be allowed the right to own a firearm under the 2nd amendment.

When you originally said that his stature meant he shouldn't have to subject himself to mean questions, that's suggesting that a public official is somehow "above" answering questions, and that's the stuff of authoritarians and dictators. Instead it seems you really mean that the hundreds of thousands of people who work in the mainstream media have so debased themselves that they are "below" the citizenship threshold to question their public officials. It's a subtle difference, but an important one for a democracy.

(And I think that's 10 posts to make me a "Trusted Member" so I can get into the good stuff I really came here for! Thanks for the insights and conversation. Onward to the incest fetish!)

8. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

The point I was making isn't that the president shouldn't answer questions posed to him, I am saying the main stream media
    has turned themselves into everything but journalism.

If you had an HR employee who consistently lied about the workers, why would you consider allowing them to continue in that position?
    It's the same with the media. They have proven themselves to be anything but honest. Why allow them to stay in the position of reporting?

I'm not saying the press room is to packed by "yes men" and/or only supporters of the president, but to be filled with
    reporters who have shown a true form of righteous journalism by having reported true facts without an opinionated bias,
    one way or the other.

* President Trump being what seems an innocent question by a main stream media reporter:
    she asks "What did you have for breakfast this morning"?
    Trump replies, " I had bacon and eggs with a sausage patty".

After the questioning, the reporter goes to her live stream camera report:
    "President Trump demands the removal of all vegan lifestyles"!!!! *

Brutus58 and Insp Gadget like this.
  9. Dracoa

Dracoa Trusted.Member

On the topic of the new, CBS has just been busted faking coronavirus testing lines. It's just more fake news. Or how about back on September 11 when BBC reported that building 7 had fallen, when it was still standing? The mainstream media is the enemy of the people.

Brutus58, Dane, itshot and 1 other person like this.
  10. Insp Gadget

welfare.jpg

11. Xxxbreakerxxx

Xxxbreakerxxx Trusted Member

I think Trump will win again in 2020 despite all the negative media and the coronavirus response

Brutus58, Insp Gadget and itshot like this.
  12. DarkQuisp

DarkQuisp Trusted Member

He'll have his hands full that's for sure. I'm voting against him, but if he does win we'll get to see how well the MAGA doctrine holds up under real pressure.

13. Insp Gadget

Does it really matter - sadly, it's a fill-in-the-blank position anyway.
    [​IMG]

se'sxac likes this.
  14. rahxephon83

rahxephon83 Trusted Member

The Dems have made sure that Trump will win again, but Dems are really Reps in disguise.

Dane likes this.
  15. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

Kinda right!
    Some Republicans are democrats who finally grew up and became logical thinking adults.

16. borabora

borabora Moderator Staff Member

Robert De Niro on coronavirus lockdown and US politics

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-u...-niro-on-coronavirus-lockdown-and-us-politics

Robert De Niro spoke to the BBC about life in New York during
    the outbreak and the country's leadership.

The Oscar winning actor told Newsnight's Emily Maitlis that it was
    a very difficult time and he found it "scary" that there wasn't stronger
    criticism of President Trump's response to the pandemic.

Robert De Niro - "Trump wants to be re-elected... but he does not even care
    how many people die on Covid19..."

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    Brutus58 likes this.
  17. Family-Hookup

Family-Hookup Trusted Member

He is losing a Big chunk of his suppoeters wity the Seniors due to the Virus problem and the swing states too.

18. Insp Gadget

Sorry, but from an outsider's perspective it seems absurd that Trump's opponent could actually become the USA's President.

Am I missing something here ? The man is a doddering old fool, and he has every right to be. Just let him enjoy his retirement in his own home.

Brutus58 and itshot like this.
  19. itshot

itshot Trusted.Member

You see these polls coming out all the time and Biden's in the lead.
    They're probably polling Dems only.

Brutus58 likes this.
  20. Dracoa

Dracoa Trusted.Member

And he tells people to vote for someone else. I honestly don't think he wants to be running at this point.

Brutus58 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.