1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

The Great American Solar Eclipse

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by Insp Gadget, Feb 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

Folks, there is a perhaps-once-in-a-lifetime event coming up later this year, a wonderful natural spectacle, and I wanted to let you all know about it in plenty of time.

It's the kind of thing that goes un-noticed for a while in the news, before suddenly becoming a big deal, and by then all the motel rooms are sold out.

And there has been precious little attention paid to it so far - what with distractions like the Election and the Super Bowl and the Canadian National Bird Debate and such.

(And of course next there will be Valentines Day - arguably the single biggest scam of all time committed against mankind, and we fall for it every year.) :)

But better times are coming, folks - because on August the 21st, a Total Eclipse of the Sun will roll across the USA !

[​IMG]

" The emotion from the ten thousand or so people could be felt, and their energy and expectation were palpable. "

" I did feel small and insignificant, yet at the same time a part of it all. "

" It was like I had never seen the Sun until this like midnight moment. "

" I have felt in awe before, but this was something else entirely. "

Myself, I have yet to witness a total eclipse of the Sun. Many years ago, there was an 'annular' eclipse overhead, and it was a beautiful sight to see. But those who have witnessed totality, speak of the experience as uniquely magnificent.

For potential planning - August 21 falls on a Monday, and the eclipse happens during mid-day, and there are many towns along the centre line of totality. The route seems accessible from most of the USA, and perhaps the event might work together with other plans, making for a long weekend.

But rather than bore you with the details of it all, I'll just give you this :

There is no need for any kind of special equipment to view a total eclipse -
    except for a good pair of eclipse glasses, which are a must.

( I am skeptical of the quality of those folding cardboard eclipse glasses that they show on their home page - too small a viewing window for me, flimsy, and they look like they might fall off of your head. There's a better wrap-around pair inside or have a look here. )

Anyway, it's something to think about, and I hope that some of you may consider the trip to be worth planning for.

Clear skies,

Iggy

villager likes this.
  2. longing4sis

longing4sis Trusted Member

Hey thanks Insp Gadget for that great information. I will have to mark it on my calendar.

Insp Gadget likes this.
  3. Insp Gadget

Yes, it will certainly be a sight to go see if at all possible.​
    For the Texas folks, there will be an even closer total solar eclipse in April of 2024. This one will cross Mexico, then up through Texas, and eventually right across Newfoundland before heading out to sea.​
    [​IMG]

It is extremely rare for two eclipses in sequence to cross such a populated area, so I would encourage everyone to make the effort to see it.​

4. Insp Gadget

I am bumping this one up because the time is drawing near (Aug 21) and I would encourage everyone who can, to make the effort to see this amazing event.

For example, if you plan to view it live - you absolutely need proper eye-wear, and you can bet that the prices won't be going down between now and then. I will be attending at least one of the eclipses, and I got these glasses from Amazon for twenty dollars ...
    [​IMG] ... Buy Me Now

So good luck with your planning, and clear skies !

5. Insp Gadget

lurkorn likes this.
  6. Antares

Antares The Famous LTD Doggie

As usual for something that happens rarely in the States, I predict it will rain that day.

Insp Gadget likes this.
  7. Insp Gadget

There shall be no further talk of rain. :)

So hey, let's say this with a straight face - 'The Moon's gravity focuses the light of the Sun, thus creating a laser-like effect, which vaporizes all of the clouds in the path of totality.'

There ya go - not bad for a weekend morning, eh ? - and I'll bet we could sell it to CNN in a heartbeat. :D

Antares likes this.
  8. Insp Gadget

But having said that ...

I suppose that we should have a backup plan. :)

So here's the thing - the eclipse shadow travels across the ground at about 1430mph. And, it travels WEST to EAST. So if it has passed east of you - tough luck.

But if there is a clear spot in the vicinity, and you can drive to it at 'x' miles per hour ...and knowing in which direction to drive, east or west ... there is a little math to be done before getting into the car.

9. Insp Gadget

Here is a great example of a small town which finds itself right at the center of the Path of Totality ...

[​IMG]

Andrews, North Carolina - Totality Town, USA

They are planning many local events, from eclipse viewing in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, to a Main Street Eclipse Festival sponsored by good folks like these ...

[​IMG] ... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They have also set up a YouTube Channel, and the National Institute of Aerospace
    will broadcast the Eclipse on Livestream from The Smokies.

This will likely be typical of many small towns across the USA, who will be welcoming visitors and showing their stuff. So be sure to check out the area near you for similar venues, and enjoy the show !

10. Dad's toy

Dad's toy Trusted.Member

Most American libraries have the movie D type glasses for free.
    Walmart has them for $1

Toy

11. Antares

Lots of places will sell you a dark glasses but if it not Welder's grade #14 you are taking a serious risk of permanent blindness. Be sure you inquire about the material used.

Insp Gadget likes this.
  12. Insp Gadget

These are wise words, so please everyone take note of what Antares has been saying. Your intrepid inspector has already spotted fakes on Amazon and at Walmart - sadly, there are types out there who will always put their profits ahead of your best interests.

Here is a fun thing to do if you want to avoid the glasses altogether - build a Cereal Box Eclipse Viewer ...

This really works - I remember us kids doing it way back (we used shoe boxes - it's just a pin-hole camera) and I actually saw spots on the Sun for the first time using a shoe box viewer.

Clear skies ...

[​IMG]

Antares likes this.
  13. Antares

Yea its surprising just how well a shoebox pinhole viewer works. Plenty of instructions on Youtube and you can stare at it all day. Look at the sun for more than a few seconds and you could easily go blind and never feel it coming. Minimum requirement for sunglasses is a welders grade #14 glass to block out the ultraviolet rays

14. klx

klx New Member

So serious question about glasses and such.

Do you actually need something even if you aren't directly in the direct path it is going to travel?

Like if I'm in a state that is said to be partial or minor eclipse or whatever can I just walk out without any major risk or is that still a no go?

15. Antares

Absolutely YES. The more of the sun that is visible the more you need the glasses. Most people when then look up at the sun do so for a brief glance but because the sun is not so bright but during an eclipse as the sun darkens they look for longer periods and that is when the damage is being done. The eye has no pain receptors to warn then when you look away you find that you can't seem to see as well as you just did or find now that you age going totally blind. The intensity of the radiation coming from the sun can blind you permanently in seconds so don't look at it. Use a shoe box viewer or special welder's #14 glass.

16. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

Your question is sort of ambiguous, but looking at the sun during the eclipse without eye protection is very bad. To look at the sun with no eclipse is even worse. If you're talking about going outside in the sun, then nothing untoward will happen in either case.

17. Antares

You do more damage during an eclipse because as the sun darkens you tend to look longer. The longer you look to more sustained the damage becomes. These shoe box viewers actually show you a better image than you get by trying to look directly at the sun. they may seem childish on the surface but they are really quite good and better than glasses in most cases.

18. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

You might be encouraged to look longer during an eclipse but looking without an eclipse will blind you faster. Its a bad idea either way.

19. Antares

The trouble is that you can't look at the normal sun longer because the sun is so bright but in terms of more radiation that is correct there is more radiation with a full sun.

Neophyte likes this.
  20. josemoya3131

josemoya3131 Account Deleted

I think I get 88% in my area, hopefully a clear day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.