1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Rep. Sen John McCain.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by Akbloke, Sep 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Akbloke

Akbloke Ex Pig-Fixer "Videmus Agamis"

Just watched (Rep) Sen John McCain being interviewed on CNN after undergoing his treatment for that dreaded big "C". Now I'm not an American and have not political bias one way or the other as far as your U.S. is concerned, but I did like and agree with what he had to say about the lack of expenditure on your Defence. when you make cut-backs, it does take a few years to make it self evident, and that is what is happening with all of your Navy "accidents" lately.

And yes, I do agree with how he said he would like to be remembered:

"He served his Country!!"
    Now, he may not have been 100% right some of the time, BUT, he does love and serve his country.​

villager likes this.
  2. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

I like how this C scare has changed him. He is 81. He was just re-elected so he is up in 2022. He will be 87. I think he realizes this is his last term. He may not be of this Earth by the end. And if he is, he will be almost 90. So now that he is not stressing 2022? He is playing a great game. It is called "Oh yeah?! Hold my BEER!". Every time they give him shit? He says "Hold my Beer!" and screws them over.

3. Antares

Antares The Famous LTD Doggie

I respect and honor Sen John McCain for what he has done and the great sacrifice he endured but of late his politics are more about his personal views then representing the people of Arizona. He should have lost the primary the last time he ran. He is no longer a dependable Republican but a loose independent with no core beliefs or standards.

4. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

Thats what we like about him.

:)

5. gator2211

gator2211 New Member

Don’t forget…Our President…. love him or hate him, he is our President…got elected by pretty much by flipping off everyone. Hillary, Bernie, the Democratic party, the Republican Party, Fox news, MSNBC, etc etc.

villager likes this.
  6. Antares

That's probably what people like about him. He speaks his own mind and not the political line of the day. Most politicians are lairs anyway and will never give you the honest fact.

villager and Akbloke like this.
  7. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

He would be succeeding more though if he realized that he is no longer in the Board Room. His will will not be done because he demands it. Kelly seems to be a good start, as he seems to at least appear to be realizing that Congress and Courts do not "answer to the Executive".

I have said for years, since the "A businessman to run it like a business" rumblings started, you have to make sure that business man understands that the Government does not operate like one. No matter how much they insist it does. Congress can say no. And then that is it. The courts can rule against you. Then that is over. To be fair, the fake super fake R in Mike Bloomberg never got that either.

pussycat likes this.
  8. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

No arguement there. He's taken it to a whole new level. If the facts don't suit your position, invent some new ones!!!

:D

9. Antares

I think part of the problem lies in the 17th Amendment. State Legislators were supposed to pick their senators which means that they would be following their political parties line. You would not have a senator elected who wasn't of the same party as that State. While this might not have effected McCain, the legislator of Arizona might have pick another person when seeing how McCain was behaving.

10. Akbloke

Akbloke Ex Pig-Fixer "Videmus Agamis"

Down-under in Aussie we rate Politicians with used car salesmen. They will always tell you what you want to hear.

And yes, I agree. Sen McCain does seem to be more 'Independent' than Republican.

Cheers

villager, Antares and annab2 like this.
  11. Mustang77

Mustang77 Trusted.Member

Arizona is by far a Republican run state. I believe that there is only on member of Congress in the Arizona delegation that is Democratic. That being said, don't you want someone representing you that uses common sense? That has the same beliefs as you? Someone who can step back for just a second and ask themselves, "What is the best thing I can do for my state and country?"
    Do you want and need big business running our lives, our health care, our privacy???
    Senator McCain, might seem like an independent, but he has leaning to the right and with all his experience, I want him to use his common sense and I kinda like where he is going with his last term.
    History will expose him and this Congress for what it is.....give him a chance and if you don't like what he did, then in 2022, put someone else in the seat.

12. Antares

This is all very true which is why I favor repeal of the amendment that gaves direct election of senators. That gives too many outside groups the opportunity to campaign and effect elections to their advantage. Senators were supposed to be elected by the State Legislators whether that state was republican or democrat. That way you got what the majority of the people of that state would want and not be subject to outsiders having their say. McCain is influences and controlled by not just some Arizona republicans but by outside forces as well. He does their bidding as do other politicians. This is another reason to enact term limits on all politicians. This is not a career track but a short term public service or at least it was supposed to be. All career politicians need to go whether republican or democrat.

13. Mustang77

Mustang77 Trusted.Member

Wow...There is a lot here to respond to. The direct election of Senators from each state seems to be a good thing. The Governor of each state can replace a Senator (ala Jeff Sessions in Alabama) when that Senator either dies in office, leaves to take another job, or becomes incapacitated and can not perform his/her duties. The thing is that the "party" is the one that runs and funnels money into campaigns to get certain people elected....not just special interests.
    I recall a story that the Speaker of the House Sam Rayburn once told incoming members of Congress that their one an only job as a member of the Democratic Party was to get re-elected. Doesn't that seen contrary to what the founding fathers wanted?
    Yes, the purpose of an elected body of citizens was so that people would serve and then leave, so someone else would take that seat. So your comment about term limits is spot on!!
    The only way that this is going to happen is with another amendment to the Constitution....and if you think Congress is going to propose that.......then there is a Bridge in San Francisco I would love to sell to you......

You make so many good points, I could go on forever.....Thanks for the intelligent discussion

14. fatfreddy

fatfreddy Trusted Member

He would make a better democrat than a republican.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.