1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Political Memes and Quotes

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by Neophyte, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

Tesla was well on his way to riches, when he made a terrible mistake, he trusted that others were as honest and honorable as he was. After leaving Edison, Tesla opened his own shop, Edison was pushing to setup DC power plants around cities to provide power, where Tesla wanted to setup AC power plants. Tesla partnered with Westinghouse to build the power plants. Because of cash flow problems and having to fight against Edison's reputation, Westinghouse went to Tesla and asked him to give him forgiveness on their deal. Tesla, making a terrible business mistake, tore up the contract they had and told Westinghouse that he did not have to pay him during Westinghouse's times of trouble. Westinghouse eventually recovered from his financial problem and was able to beat Edison in providing electricity to the country, but when Tesla came back to start collecting his cut, Westinghouse essentially said sorry we don't have a contract and I owe you nothing, so Westinghouse made a fortune and Tesla went broke.

Brutus58, Insp Gadget and pussycat like this.
  2. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

This thing we call 'capitalism' or 'free maarket' or whatever all those things we learned in Microeconomics are called, are just a tool.

And I think that we use capitalism wrongly as a strategic tool, where at best it should be a tactical one.

Brutus58 likes this.
  3. SecretWishes

SecretWishes Trusted.Member

tac·ti·cal
    /ˈtaktək(ə)l/
    Learn to pronounce
    adjective
    1. relating to or constituting actions carefully planned to gain a specific military end.
    -------------------------
    stra·te·gic
    /strəˈtējik/
    Learn to pronounce
    adjective
    1. relating to the identification of long-term or overall aims and interests and the means of achieving them.
    -------------------------

Sooo... Move away from long term goals and move America's trade and Industries to military control...?

I believe that is called Stratocracy... previously practiced by the Cossacks of southern Russia and whose power ended in the 1930s with the October Revolution. Not very enticing...

The idea of military leaders determining what my future is or have no future with their support doesn't exactly appeal to me either...

I'll stick to capitalism. For those who say it's an unfair, just about every system is, but at least with capitalism, you can choose to succeed or fail.

What needs to be fixed is the lack of education in how to operate within such a system. But that conversation is probably best saved for a thread of its own.

If microeconomics taught you capitalism and free market, it tells me one of two things: Either you weren't paying attention to what the class was actually about OR your school does not know how to differentiate microeconomics and macroeconomics so it just lumped capitalism and free market all together with it...

Brutus58 likes this.
  4. Insp Gadget

My point was not in reference to military control at all. It's more that I think that we sometimes mistake doing things right for doing the right things.

Capitalism in today's form is merely a convenient mechanism by which the gluttonous can take advantage of the simple-minded.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    Brutus58 and oldman681 like this.
  5. Neophyte

I received a letter just before I left office from a man. I don't know why he chose to write it, but I'm glad he did. He wrote that you can go to live in France, but you can't become a Frenchman. You can go to live in Germany or Italy, but you can't become a German, an Italian. He went through Turkey, Greece, Japan and other countries. But he said anyone, from any corner of the world, can come to live in the United States and become an American.

Ronald Reagan

Brutus58, Insp Gadget and oldman681 like this.
  6. Neophyte

7. Neophyte

8. Insp Gadget

I totally get that. [​IMG] And that open-ness brings with it a lot of challenges, too - your Country is brave to work towards such an ideal, and imho your Reagan was a great Leader.

Brutus58, pussycat and oldman681 like this.
  9. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

Reagan had his flaws (who doesn't), but overall he was one of the better ones. Bush the first was a good man too. And Clinton for all his miss-deeds in retrospect did a good job.
    Too bad they've had nothing but fucking idiots since. (and no sign of improvement in sight).

Brutus58 likes this.
  10. pussycat

Unfortunately, that seems no longer to be true.

However it is still true in my homeland. We may be the only ones left.

Brutus58 likes this.
  11. SecretWishes

Ronald Reagan - LOL... the Teflon President... Nothing stuck to him no matter how many mistakes he made. Now THAT's a media savvy guy.

Brutus58, oldman681 and Insp Gadget like this.
  12. Insp Gadget

Same for corporate CEO's - the best ones have people who look after the distractions. Their mandate is to set the vision for their organizations.

13. SecretWishes

I wouldn't say that... most CEOs aren't the public's center of attention/concern. Unless it's a huge federal level crime, mot people don't even know something happened. Many of the CEOs are also wealthy enough that they pay a very large fine instead of taking time behind bars.

It happens enough that there is a regular publication on the matter, but like I said, not the typical public concern, so it just goes un-noticed.

itshot and Brutus58 like this.
  14. Insp Gadget

15. Insp Gadget

Oh, great - it's the synchronized bombing team again !

[​IMG]

Brutus58, oldman681 and itshot like this.
  16. Dracoa

Dracoa Trusted.Member

17. sockpuppet

sockpuppet Trusted.Member

Maybe he should just give his critics the Trudeau salute and quote the waulking song Pierre liked so much, "almerick almeriddle, almerick almeriddle, almerick almeriddle, hey yop fuddle duddle.

18. Neophyte

In a statement made by Trudeau, he doesn't even remember how many different times he has done this.
    _108862125_justin_trudeau_yearbook_05.jpg another-justin-trudeau-blackface-video-reported-after-apology-for-brownface-photo-1080x630.jpeg Justin-Trudeau.jpeg trudeau-blackface.jpg

19. Dracoa

Dracoa Trusted.Member

20. pussycat

I don't think it was racist at all, and neither do most of the "ethnic groups" who should supposedly be offended. The press and the opposition parties are trying to make a big deal of it, but they just did a poll and the results were 70% of Canadians don't consider it an issue. And I think we're getting a bit tired of all this political correctness, it's fine up to a point, but when it becomes a political tool the people up here start to reject it, and then it backfires on you. This is not America, its a very different country and we have a fundamentally different mindset, its sort of European in a way. The easiest way to explain it is to say........
    most of us don't give a fuck.

Brutus58 likes this.