1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Please, help me with English

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by slisse, Apr 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

I don't have a solution to that one. If you teach to the lowest standard, and let them graduate, then you eventually lower the value of your accreditations to the point where a degree or certificate is meaningless, especially to international standards. This has already happened to America (in some fields). If you raise your standards to a high bar, then those who can't keep up become disenfanchised, the gap between the elite and the proletariat ever widens, and eventually you have open revolt. If you try to pick a middle ground, then everyone in the nation ends up just plain "average", and you have an "average" country.
    We're not as far along the path to ruin as you guys, but we're heading there. :(

Brutus58 and Akbloke like this.
  2. Akbloke

Akbloke Ex Pig-Fixer "Videmus Agamis"

I concur with this. In my field of aviation maintenance, I've notice a distinct difference between the European / Aussie standard (with reference to EASA M-145) and that of the USAF standard. Whereas the EASA achieves a standard of "Airworthiness", the USAF would only rate a standard of "Serviceable". AT the moment I'm trying to get the country that I'm in up to EASA as that is what it has adopted as a minimum standard, and I have a particular American company doing the maintenance on this fleet of jets, and at times it feels like I'm trying to shove butter up a porcupines butt with a red hot needle....

Now, to give you an example of what I mean about the difference...
    An aircraft - such as a B747 or an Airbus A330 - can be serviceable and fly a load of passengers to where ever in complete safety, BUT, if none of the toilets on board are working (heavens forbid), then it is NOT Airworthy.

Brutus58 likes this.
  3. Akbloke

Akbloke Ex Pig-Fixer "Videmus Agamis"

:eek: Ooooww.....I can see that the Pussycat has her fangs and Claws out....:D:D:D

Brutus58 likes this.
  4. pussycat

Moi? Never.

Pussycats just like playing with their food. :):)

5. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

I'm sorry, I'd like give a rebuttal on that but I can't think of one reason where that isn't true.

6. londonboy49

londonboy49 Trusted.Member

A double negative :rolleyes:

7. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

No it's not. I suggest you re-read it.
    I am agreeing with Pussycat.
    Two negatives do not equate a double negative in all sentences.

8. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

I will agree that it is a less eloquent way of saying I agree with the original statement.

9. pussycat

Dane, I posted it in a (hopefully) humourous vein, I certainly didn't mean to offend.

But when I think about it, there might be a grain of truth to it.

10. Dane

Dane Account Deleted

NO OFFENSE TAKEN!!
    I totally agree with you.

I have to deal with the public. I'm in sales, both tangible and non-tangible.
    I am always amazed at the average American's inability to speak proper English.
    It's not dialect, that does pose a problem at times because a lazy tongue makes one's
    speech nearly impossible to understand, but it's the word usage that makes me cringe.

IE: "He dove into the pool" *dived, dove is a noun (type of bird), not a verb.
    " Ain't got no" "He do it all times" "Time to worsh the clothes"
    "Must of (could of, should of, etc) taken a long time" 'of' instead of 'have'.
    " He did it per se". Per se is in reflection of a thing, not a person.
    "Irregardless" Never understood why someone ever invented this word.
    "Could have cared less" Anyone says this instead of "Couldn't" is truly showing
    their lack of understanding the difference of the two words.

Akbloke likes this.
  11. whitecoffee1

whitecoffee1 Moderator Staff Member

To paraphrase Mick Jagger:

"I can't get no satisfaction when reading this."

12. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

That's because you were more/most likely exposed to Monty Python humor than American kids. We would have to watch Canadian PBS to see it. Most didn't even know about it. There are a lot of politicians who don't want intelegent voters, just a herd of stupid lemmings.

Akbloke likes this.
  13. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Im Deutsch bitte. (In German please. )

14. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

It's all Latin (to start with) to me.

15. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

The next thing I will hear is the "boot" is actually the "trunk" of an automobile.

Akbloke likes this.
  16. pussycat

No, its a submarine.

I saw the movie.

Akbloke, whitecoffee1 and Brutus58 like this.
  17. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

No wonder I have not seen the pooch around for a while.

18. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Where is the Ebonics version of this? I think schools still follow Ebonics version of everything.

pussycat likes this.
  19. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Only in Germany!

whitecoffee1 likes this.
  20. pussycat

I watched the German version. :D

With subtitles. :oops:

It was a very good movie, and I don't like war movies. :p

Thread Status: