1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Passwords

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by slisse, Dec 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. londonboy49

londonboy49 Trusted.Member

They're called nerds :rolleyes:

2. SecretWishes

SecretWishes Trusted.Member

One work around is a password vault. You just need to remember the one SECURE password. The vault remembers the rest. That way you can have a truly obscure pass like "A!MG1R1-2nDeKu3#smsh" for something and another for obscure pass for something else. You just remember the vault's password and refer to it when you need to.

[​IMG]
    Although... my example's not really an obscure pass... I'll give a hottie point for anyone who can crack its meaning!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  3. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

It refers to the days my ex has her periods!

Dane likes this.
  4. soxa001

soxa001 Trusted Member

Thank you all.

5. slisse

slisse Moderator Staff Member

Thank you for the additions.

6. slisse

Reminder.

Insp Gadget likes this.
  7. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

I haven't read all the prior posts, but just inn case - I've seen a couple of sites that will generate a secure password for you, if that idea is of any help.

8. slisse

Thank you.
    The idea behind the 'reminder' is to bring this thread into the attention of newbies.

Brutus58 likes this.
  9. symbolma

symbolma Trusted Member

Very interesting I guess I better step it up a notch.

slisse likes this.
  10. slisse

Thank you for your reply.

11. londonboy49

12. londonboy49

13. leftout4

leftout4 Trusted.Member

Did I ever mention, how much I hate, pop quizzes..

14. whitecoffee1

whitecoffee1 Moderator Staff Member

twelvethousandthreehundredfortyfive

Star_of_sea likes this.
  15. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

Actually I believe that the formula is wrong and there is no valid solution. Its wrong because there is no time component. Even if it was right, the solution would contain characters that are illegal in most passwords.

Brutus58 likes this.
  16. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

What makes a character "illegal" in a password? First time I ever heard of that.

17. Daddy

Daddy Trusted.Member

Another great password technique is to take a phrase or make up a sentence and use the first letter of each word. Feel free to add capitals and a number or two.

For example, 'Breaking Bad season 4 is the best of the series' becomes 'BBs4itbots'. No regular person is going to guess it, and I'm assuming crackers would have a hard time too. This technique tends to be easier to remember than numbers or a word variation.

Oh and if you disagree that season 4 is the best, feel free to PM me and we can argue about it (respectfully, of course). I've got all day.

Brutus58 likes this.
  18. Brutus58

Brutus58 Trusted.Member

Never watched it.

19. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

These are the only characters you can use in a password.

characters.jpg

Brutus58 and whitecoffee1 like this.
  20. Rubber Ducky

Rubber Ducky Trusted.Member

I did. Someone told me season 1 would be the hardest to get through. Then it would be great. So I took the efford to drag myself through season 1, discovering the start of season 2 is as bad as season 1 so I gave up on it.

For those wondering about passwords : I use a password vault and a browser plugin. The browser plugin detects the name and password fields, then gets those from the vault. Behind the scenes, some characters are typed and some are copy/pasted. So if an attacker watched the clipbord, only half is discovered. Watching both gives the characters but not the order. It also has a password generator to generate something wicked each time you need a new password. Follow these instructions and each site needing a password has a random one which is only known by the vault.

Second tip : use ihavebeenpwnd to check whether your e-mail address has been harvested from a database attack. If so, change the password for the affected site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.