1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Not much tranquility in the U.S. right now.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by curiousFred, Aug 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curiousFred

curiousFred Trusted.Member

America was born with violence and will end in he same way I fear.There is far too much hatred there now.
    They don't have to worry about other countries attacking them.
    Worry bout their own.

2. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

[​IMG]

3. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

I disagree, America was born with the pursuit of Freedom. When you are free, some people do good things, some people do bad things. Those that hate America, focus on the bad things and see's us only in that way.

4. SecretWishes

SecretWishes Trusted.Member

Actually, the Jeannie Reports (Crime Summary Reports) show that crime is actually going down in America. What went WAY up is the amount of media coverage per event.

So less crime but a LOT more coverage gives a distorted perception that America is getting worse when in fact, it's getting better... The media is just turning yellow.

For those who don't know what it means to turn yellow in the (news) media, look up Yellow Journalism...

For those too lazy to do that, here you go (but understand that you no longer qualify for Hottie Points :p):
    Yellow journalism and the yellow press are (typically) American terms for journalism and associated newspapers that focus heavily on using eye-catching headlines for increased sales. Techniques may include exaggerations of news events, scandal-mongering, or sensationalism. (CNN anyone?)

Brutus58 likes this.
  5. bigjeff

bigjeff Trusted Member

In short: if it bleeds it leads and if don't bleed enough just add ketchup.

Brutus58 and SecretWishes like this.
  6. bigjeff

bigjeff Trusted Member

It should also be noted that saying that America started with violence is far from true and is quite misleading. America existed long before the war and even after hostilities started many attempts at a peaceful solution were tried. We even petitioned king George III to intervene on our behalf with Parliament for a peaceful resolution. We weren't even seeking to be a separate nation, we just wanted basic human rights. Unfortunately violence is sometimes the only means to secure those rights.

Brutus58 and SecretWishes like this.
  7. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

I can quite understand that you feel that way. You're American, you're proud of it, you were educated in America, by Americans, and you are, of course, entitled to that viewpoint.
    Those of us, outside the fishbowl looking in, have a somewhat different opinion.
    curiousFred's statement was an accurate summation of how a lot of us see it.

(especially north of the border)

8. SecretWishes

SecretWishes Trusted.Member

BTW if you read the title... They were charged or arrested... not convicted... While it's likely that most of these pictured here are guilty, there may also be innocent ones here who are arrested on the basis of eyewitness descriptions or other circumstances. This is one of those Yellow Journalism tactics...

I personally know 2 people who were arrested (one charged) for something, but then released when it was found out that they were not the right person.

Be careful about what you see... It's what they are NOT saying that is closer to the truth.

Brutus58 likes this.
  9. bigjeff

bigjeff Trusted Member

First, I want to make it clear that this is not an attack, but know it can easily be read as such. That is not my intent.

This sounds so much like what I was just talking about on another thread. It is very easy to dismiss the thoughts and feelings of others when they are "them" and we are "us". I may well be wrong and you may well be right. That's how the real world works. Nobody has all the answers. It does nobody any good to simply say that a person feels that way because they don't know any better or because that is just the way they were raised. If this is not what you meant, then I profusely apologize but that is how it comes off to me.

You have no idea how many times I have been fed similar lines by people from outside the USA who simply didn't want to take the time to engage in actual civil discussion. If I am wrong I want to know about it. If I have put forth any incorrect information, I really want to know about it. And if someone else does the same, I will let them know about it. This isn't being mean, it's how we learn. You've disagreed with me. Great. Instead of brushing my assertions aside, tell me where I am wrong. Otherwise, I will simply remain that typical American clinging to his incorrect beliefs.

10. bigjeff

bigjeff Trusted Member

Mass shootings can hardly be used as a fair indication of violence in general as it covers such a small number of violent acts. There is also the problem of defining "mass shooting". But given the numbers provided here, and the overall population of the U.S.A., these numbers do not seem that unreasonable.

Don't get me wrong, any unnecessary death is a tragedy, but where there are people there will always be violence and what does it matter if the deaths all happen in one location at one time or spread out over many different killers and places? The fact of the matter is that by giving disproportionate coverage to certain forms of violence, the news media is creating a platform for those who wish to use violence as a soap box. Shortly after the recent string of mass shootings a man walked into a local Walmart here in tactical gear with an assault rifle. He walked around the store, video taping the chaos and then left. This is what our morbid fixation on mass shootings is creating.

Brutus58 and Insp Gadget like this.
  11. pussycat

bigjeff, there is no need for your hostility. There was nothing in the least offensive in what I posted. If you are that easily offended I would respectfully suggest that a political forum may not be to your tastes.

12. bigjeff

bigjeff Trusted Member

pussycat, I am sorry if I came of as hostile. That was never my intent. I wrote nothing in anger or malice. A slight bit of irritation perhaps, but that is all. I stand by everything I wrote including the apology if I misunderstood your intent and the fact that I want to be corrected. If I misunderstood you, let me know. Disagreement is not hostility.

P.S. I would take issue with the idea that what you wrote was not offensive in the least, but I have already had my say on that.

13. pussycat

Fair enough. However, I have, over many years, had many discussions with Americans about "history", online, in person (in and outside of the USA), at symposiums, in class. And what I have noticed is that we are all products of our upbringing - which includes education (hence my "educated in America by Americans" comment). It has also become painfully obvious that Americans have different history books than the rest of us. I know whose are right and whose are wrong - they're all wrong.
    Now, to address your assertions. At what point does a rebellion become a revolution? Only when you win. In your case, you won. Good for you, and I don't blame you one bit. But it was violent, and unnecessary as it turned out. Canada and Australia accomplished the same ends without going to war with England. For you to deny a violent birth is somewhat disingenuous. Not only that, you attempted to extend your violence, your war, into regions where it was unwelcome. In other words, the revolution became an invasion. (albiet a short and unsuccessful one).
    Now I, or we Canadians for that matter, harbour no ill feelings towords you because of all of this, but we certainly have a different perspective on it. And I think curiousFred might share that view.

regards

pussycat

Brutus58 likes this.
  14. pussycat

An observation, somewhat connected to curiousFred's statement. From my own personal observations only. I have spent a lot of time in upstate New York - Vermont. It was like home to me. I have visited the Carolinas, Georgia, etc. And I have briefly been to California (bay area). If I didn't know better, I'd swear I was in three different countries.
    So when people say "America", I have to ask:
    Which "America", and which "Americans", are you referring to?

o_Oo_O

Brutus58 and bigjeff like this.
  15. bigjeff

bigjeff Trusted Member

I would agree with you on many points. Many Americans are as you describe. The problem is when we are all lumped together.

You are wrong that america was born from violence. The U.S.A. existed long before 1776, as a place, a people, and a culture; if not a name. Our independence, however, was born from violence and you are correct that that violence was not necessary. As I touched on in my earlier post, the war of independence was not necessary and, in fact, neither was independence. After the initial violence at Lexington and Concord, the American leaders tried to stave off war. They sent many petitions to parliament asking for a peaceful resolution. Being ignored they finally appealed to King George III directly. The Americans did not want war, they wanted peace and they wanted to remain a part of Great Britain. Unfortunately, Great Britain's response was to send more troops. Our independence may have been born from violence but that violence was not chosen, it was thrust upon us and I dare say that those that peacefully left the empire after were only able to do so as a result of that horrible violence. Unfortunately, modern history likes to forget all of this.

Brutus58 likes this.
  16. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

Brutus58 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.