1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

New Horizons To Pluto

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by jamie jackson, Apr 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TiredEyes

TiredEyes Trusted Member

Not quite... Ever sat in a microwave? 18 minutes is rather difficult...

Also, the human body can only handle so much g-forces for any length of time. Once they freeze us, without us shattering in the process or travels... Then we may have a chance.

Well, liquid-air would be a nice happy medium, with the bonus of easy to simulate gravity.

We have a whole planet here to worry about fixing, before we go trashing the rest of the universe. :p Too late, we already started littering all over.

(Reminds me of the "Save ____ country's children" ads... Save them.. we can't save our own kids and families and poor! More cost effective to go overseas and ruin their lives with commercialization trying to "save them", by giving them i-phones, internet, and experimenting on them with vaccines, in the name of "saving".)

leon Phillips likes this.
  2. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

There could be ways around these problems. You can shield against the microwave or make them directional thereby keeping the passengers safe. If it would take 18 months to get to Pluto, I doubt the g-force would ever exceed 1/20th of a G.

3. ZZZVVVZZZ

ZZZVVVZZZ Trusted Member

So it is round, some how I expected it to be all rough like a hunk of rock.

buddy59 likes this.
  4. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

Every object in space, like planets, will form a sphere if its mass is large enough, because of its gravity. A sphere is the most compact shape for a mass to form into.​
    Smaller objects, like asteroids, are not massive enough for their gravity to do this, so they remain in an irregular shape.​
    ( A small point - the spin of a planet, or star, actually causes it to bulge around its middle, so that it is not really a perfect sphere, but slightly flattened. )​

5. perecool

perecool Trusted Member

i dont know

6. Dshark

Dshark New Member

7. Dshark

Dshark New Member

A constant acceleration drive doesn't need high g-force. You can travel about half a light year in a year at one G acceleration. The rough formula for interstellar travel is light-years plus 1 year. A trip to the nearest star would take 3.6 years.

8. Neophyte

Close but the nearest star, Alpha Centauri or Proxima Centauri, Is about 4.4 light years away and at 1 G constant acceleration will take about 7 years to reach.

9. cancandiddid

cancandiddid Trusted Member

i wanna go there!

10. Princess Amy

Princess Amy Account Deleted

jerrilynn, longing4sis and Neophyte like this.
  11. Neophyte

12. Princess Amy

13. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

14. Princess Amy

annab2 likes this.
  15. Princess Amy

16. Neophyte

I was just watching some programs on the Science channel about asteroids. My understanding of asteroids leads me to believe that asteroids could not have been created during the original accretion of the early solar system. In fact I would think that most asteroids would be secondary or tertiary objects. Comets would be more in line with original first generation objects. I postulate that large accretion objects similar to comets probably several hundred kilometers in diameter collided and the debris from these collisions would coalesce to form objects more in line with asteroids. Most likely a second round of collisions occurred before the current asteroids that populate our solar system were created. That is my theory.

annab2 likes this.
  17. annab2

annab2 Trusted Member"It ain't pretty being easy!"

Great thinking! All this time I had attributed it to all of the beach sand that I constantly empty from my Galactic shoe! (Such, is my humor!):):p:D:rolleyes:o_O

18. Neophyte

Hmmmm, you wear shoes to the beach instead of flipflops, how unusual. :cool:

annab2 likes this.
  19. annab2

annab2 Trusted Member"It ain't pretty being easy!"

I have an intense fear of Sand Crabs!:)

Neophyte likes this.
  20. Neophyte

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.