1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Name calling in modern arguments

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by buffyfan, Nov 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

Ok. Let me start with a sore point. Not all opinions are "equally valid". There is correct and incorrect. If that is provable? There is not "agree to disagree and part saying we have equal opinions". That is like the people who look at 1+6x4+1 and say 29 is just as valid as 26 because their opinion is left to right is just as valid as the actual math rules of PEMDAS.

That said, first I will address the Cons. Dont fret, the Liberals are getting an attack below as well. Starting an argument with LIBTARD, then when people use a name back falling to "See. All Libtards can do is call LIBTARD NAMES." while claiming your name calling is "Stating FACTS" makes you look stupid. And you may be making a valid point after. But? Once you call a name? People will stop listening to your point. And no. Yelling Libtard at someone does not mean you "won".

Now. Libs. Can you stop calling anyone who does not agree racist. Unless they make a point (and this brings up my facts vs "well I think" point above) like the Civil War had NOTHING to do with slavery. Because the SC secession document? Names slavery as A reason. The same as above applies. "Racist" or "Homophobe" unless the person actually uses a racial slur or Gay insult? People stop listening to the point.

In closing. I blame the "give everyone a trophy" concept. But lets get this straight. I mean the BOOMERS who insisted that start. Sorry folks. The XX year olds were not demanding them. That crap started when my sister was XX. How could SHE demand that?

Sorry, regardless of context, no ages under 18 allowed - CM

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2017
  2. Princess Amy

Princess Amy Account Deleted

In the name of Christ don't get me started on Liberals .

jillicious likes this.
  3. Zarp

Zarp Trusted.Member

Buffyfan, I completely agree with you about the everyone gets a trophy thing. As much as it hurts a child needs to understand that just showing up is not winning. Everyone looses at some point in their life they need to learn and understand this. Loosing is nothing to be ashamed of and winning is certainly not everything. As the Old but true saying goes. I have truly learned more from my losses than I did from my wins. That being said to win you have to learn how to prepare and how to understand what needs to be done! If everyone gets a trophy neither party learns anything. This is in no way the way real life works! I don't know where this dumbass idea started but it really needs to stop!

4. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

I agree that name calling does little to nothing in bring people together. It's pretty much a way to end a discussion. What I find disturbing is that racist, sexist, homophobe, xenophobe and other similar terms are being used by the Democratic leadership, while the Republican leadership does not.

jillicious and TriadSibling like this.
  5. TriadSibling

TriadSibling Bro/Sis Enthusiast

What I find disturbing, and it's happening on a lot of social media platforms, is banning people who you don't agree with. It's happened on places such as facebook, youtube, twitter, and god only knows what other sites. Ironically, and I'm not trying to bash on liberals, I have no problem with most liberals, but these sites are run by liberals, who call the shots on what is put out versus what isn't.
    It's essentially a legal version of political censorship. How these sites aren't being slapped with a discrimination class action suit, I'll never know.

jillicious and Insp Gadget like this.
  6. Neophyte

Those social media sites are considered private sector so are not covered by censorship rules, but there is work on legislation to change their category so they can be regulated. If such sites want to avoid regulation then they should clean up their act quickly before the government steps in.

jillicious and TriadSibling like this.
  7. TriadSibling

TriadSibling Bro/Sis Enthusiast

Yes, this is legislation that is far past due. But these sites, while private sector, should surely still be able to be sued for discrimination based on political affiliation. With the way these sites act, that wouldn't be hard to prove either.

jillicious, Insp Gadget and Neophyte like this.
  8. curiousFred

curiousFred Trusted.Member

Politicians don't give a fuck for the voters who afford them a life of luxury.
    They are squabbling among each other like the spoiled brats they are, making themselves irrelevant in the process.

Insp Gadget likes this.
  9. michael69

michael69 Perverted Gentleman

libtard...lmfao. Great word

Insp Gadget likes this.
  10. Neophyte

Don't forget sheeple.

Insp Gadget likes this.
  11. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Moderator Staff Member

Lets keep the sheeple in the sheep thread.
    We don't want them running loose.
    :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.