1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Maybe some good news if you are a gun owner or enthusiast in California

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by longing4sis, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longing4sis

longing4sis Trusted Member

NRA announces legal challenge to California's expanded assault weapon ban and other new gun laws
    Patrick McGreevy

b.jpg

The state affiliate of the National Rifle Assn. on Monday filed the first of a series of planned lawsuits against a package of gun control bills approved in California last year, including one challenging the state's newly expanded assault weapons ban.
    Last year, Gov. Jerry Brown signed into law a prohibition on the sale of semiautomatic rifles equipped with bullet-buttons that allow for the quick removal and replacement of ammunition magazines.
    The first lawsuit will be filed late Monday in federal court in Santa Ana by the California Rifle and Pistol Assn., the state affiliate of the NRA , and asks the courts to declare the expanded assault weapon law unconstitutional.
    “It criminalizes possession of firearms which are commonly possessed for lawful purposes by law-abiding citizens for self- defense or shooting sports,” said Chuck Michel, a Long Beach attorney for the gun rights groups.
    The legislation, and other bills including a ban on large-capacity ammunition magazines, were approved by Gov. Jerry Brown and the Legislature in response to a 2015 terrorist shooting in San Bernardino in which weapons including AR-15 rifles were used to kill 14 people attending a holiday party at the Inland Regional Center.
    But the new law “will do nothing to stop terrorists or violent criminals, and infringes on the right to keep and bear arms under the Second Amendment," the groups argued in a statement Monday.
    Senate President Pro Tem Kevin de León (D-Los Angeles) led the effort to get the gun bills passed and predicted Monday they would withstand any legal challenge.
    “Background checks and other guns laws California has enacted have saved lives and are key in making our mortality rate one of the lowest in the nation,” de León said in a statement. “I am confident that the courts will reject the NRA’s arguments, just as our voters did in November, and uphold California’s right to implement common-sense policies to protect its people. ”
    Michel said the NRA plans five lawsuits challenging new gun laws in California, including one next week that will seek to invalidate a ban on the possession of ammunition magazines capable of holding more than 10 bullets.
    The groups waited to file the lawsuits until Republican President Trump began appointing judges to the federal bench, including Justice Neil Gorsuch, who was confirmed last week for the U.S. Supreme Court.

2. winchester73

winchester73 Trusted.Member

My personal bent on this is that California gun owners and second amendment proponents will never see success until California voters eradicate the bleeding heart liberal law makers who have made a career of the gun fear by promoting media sensation, overtly corrupted the justice system, and left its population helpless by creating a justice attitude devoid of personal accountablility. Going after bad laws only tells the initiators they need a raise. Creating a relentless and merciless political campaign against the lawmakers who author and/or promote such laws will send the only message that will make a change.

longing4sis likes this.
  3. longing4sis

longing4sis Trusted Member

Well I sure don't see that happening anytime soon.

4. winchester73

winchester73 Trusted.Member

And we won't. The Californians of my youth were survivors fresh out of WWII. Almost every one around our Canasta table were veterans or spouses of veterans. There was absolutely no patience or tolerance for neighbors of murderous bent or similar mischief bents. The Californians that my grandchildren inherit are survivors of real-estate and employment crunches. If some one shot up a house in Burbank in 1958, the response would be truck loads of armed vigilantes. The same murderous event in 2008 will inspire the victim's neighbors to post nasty letters on Facebook while waiting for call backs from their liability attorneys. I cannot fathom the mind of a citizen who would enact laws to disarm his neigbors and cripple the police at the same time.

longing4sis likes this.
  5. sixtus_quinn

sixtus_quinn Giggity!

Problem is that California gun owners only make up 20% of the total population. It makes us a sizable voting block, but only if we all move in the same direction. The problem is that the other 80% are usually dead set against us. Personally, I long for the day that the assault weapons ban, save handgun roster, and magazine limits are struck down. But it won't happen anytime soon.

6. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

There has never been a Gun Control Measure passed by vote in California.

7. sixtus_quinn

sixtus_quinn Giggity!

There were several on the special ballot last time. But was more referring who the officials have to bow to in order to stay in office.

8. Neophyte

Every Gun Control Proposition that have been proposed has been authored or co-authored by one man, State Senator DeLeon, every last one. Since the 1980's Gun Control measure have been voted down by the people, but the Democrats have ignored the vote and enacted them anyway. The current litany of laws were passed by fiat by the Democrats. The currently bunch of laws like universal magazine capacity limitation, removable magazine restriction, background checks to purchase ammunition, proof of ownership of a firearm to purchase ammunition, confiscation of firearms by law enforcement, and many others will be enacted no matter the results of the vote. Several of these propositions are now under a lawsuit as being Unconstitutional, but the Democrats of California have ignored the Constitution on a regular basis. The Democrats count on that unless someone objects to the law, the Constitution doesn't matter and if someone does object to the law the Democrats can keep the objection tied up in courts and continue with the laws anyway. And after years of litigation, once their laws have been struck down, they will pass a new law to replace the old one and the cycle begins again.

9. FuzzyLogic

FuzzyLogic Trusted Member

I wish the NRA luck. But in reality, legal precedent means nothing to the single party state government here. For example, I bet few of you knew that California was a legal conceal carry state. Yet when you actually apply for a permit to do it, it is considered defacto illegal to conceal carry. Unless you are a politician (one of the corrupt elites) or a famous liberal media personality; then its easy to get whatever firepower you want to protect yourself. California is a blatant and unrepentant sanctuary state. Does anyone think for a moment that the state CARES about what a conservative federal judge orders? The state govt has all the guns and prisons. They enforce whatever laws they choose here; United States Constitution be damned! So don't anyone hold their breath on a positive AND effective legal decision in the above case.

10. Neophyte

I have a friend who is telling me, that in Los Angeles County, they are trying to resurrect an old law stating that anyone travelling from one city to another must go to the nearest Police or Sheriff station and hand over their firearms for the authorities to hold till the person is ready to leave the city limits even if they have a concealed carry permit.

Also the Democrats are helping to fund an organization that is bringing lawsuits against any gun store or gun manufacturer. Their express purpose is to drown the business under so much legal debt that the business must close, even though the lawsuits are totally frivolous. The local and state District Attorneys are allowing the lawsuits to help drive the businesses away, because it coincides with their agenda of disarming the citizens.

Arizona and Nevada are joking that it would be better to build the Wall on the California border rather than the Mexican border.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.