1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

For the Hillary lovers

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by goldie34, Sep 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

Not that I disagree with that Gadget, but the other side seems to have a perpetual "In my day.........." going and thinking that things never change, ever. So how things were in the 1950s (taxes excluded of course) are fine for today.

Insp Gadget and Darth like this.
  2. Darth

Darth Account Deleted

I think that its missed that so are the other parties. When Obama won in the states a republican actually yelled liar from the seats in the house during the inaugural speech??? a standing president. Then put up with open threats to his family, challenges to his birth record, accusation of drug use etc etc. As for the 'liberals' in this country Insp Gadget - do you really not see how remarkably arrogant that the conservatives before them were - creating legislation and actions that were so entitled, including passing laws to protect their party from the ones they broke during the election. Both parties in the states, and at least the big two (if not three) in Canada are just nasty, entitled egoists that often work for only their best interest. To claim one or the other has a monopoly on this is short sighted and remarkably naive

3. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Moderator Staff Member

Please don't let this escalate into a "person attack".

4. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget Trusted.Member

Yes, buffyfan, I get the point that you make.

But I also think that we maybe should pay some attention to those 'in my day' remarks. It is easy to dismiss them as just nostalgic dreaming from old geezers (like myself :) ). But also consider, that those of such age are the ones most capable of making the comparison, because they have actually been there.

And of course there are many statistics which indicate good progress since those days. But I think that those nostalgic remarks are not meant in any easily quantifiable way - but rather they express a feeling, a general longing to return to a more optimistic lifestyle. And the 50's and 60's were, at least to my mind in my part of America, much more happy and optimistic times than the ones since.

5. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

OK, a caveat - I live north of the border, in a much more progressive society, and I do truly believe that what happens in the USA is their own domestic business....until it has an effect on me.
    So, an observation, not meant to attack or offend anyone, and not from me, but from the most intelligent and reasonable man I have ever known, my father:

the 50's sucked, and so did the sixties

This from a man who just turned 65. He was there. What he meant was, life wasn't that great. We are all (those of us fortunate to live in a western society) way better off than we ever have been in human history.

What I will say is - progress has its benefits. I feel lucky to live today, at my 35yrs of age, where I do. It beats the hell out of watching Howdy Doody.

Insp Gadget likes this.
  6. Antares

Antares The Famous LTD Doggie

Its Howdy Doody Time:
    ca 1947-1960

Buffalo Bob: Say kids, what time is it?
    Kids: It's Howdy Doody Time!

It's Howdy Doody Time.
    It's Howdy Doody Time.
    Bob Smith and Howdy too
    Say Howdy Do to you.
    Let's give a rousing cheer,
    Cause Howdy Doody's here,
    It's time to start the show,
    So kids let's go!

7. buffyfan

But they want the social things from back then, ie. "Gays were not seen like they are today" while pretending Income Taxes are the highest they ever been at this moment. Because they had to be. A lot of older people work with what they want to be true and delude themselves that was the way it was. That lower taxes will make us prosperous and bring jobs back like the 50s and 60s. While ignoring that taxes were higher and the reason we did not outsource was not "lower taxes here" so much as "We have to pay ANOTHER TAX called tariff if I dont make it here". We have now lowered taxes and did away with those.

But the problem is, they make the good point. Then run off on a "and further more......." where they start listing things they did not have. And ignore that most were INVENTED after they were that age. Like a 60 year old saying "I did not have a cell phone until I was 35!" and then gets butt hurt at the disrespect of being told "Yeah. Because they were invented around then". Or the "We had ONE CAR when I was a kid" as if that is still the average in modern times. Or just the "in my day" dream that "back then someone younger than you showed you RESPECT". Meaning "Back then if an ELDER told you the sky was green you told them how right they are". A lot of "in my day" people are just pissed a new generation could not care ANY LESS if they have an age that is a larger integer. That they see wisdom in adaptation and actual knowledge. Not titles and "Life Experience makes me an expert on every subject".

It kills the good points when they pretend it is still their youth so that their statement is correct.

Insp Gadget likes this.
  8. Insp Gadget

Nicely said sir, and just between you and me - I use a flip-phone. Hey, it makes me feel like Captain Kirk. "Scotty, beam me up." Now there was a real Starship Captain - not one of those limp-wrist wannabe's that the kids watch nowadays ! Yep, they just don't make things like they used to.

:)

9. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

Maybe we need to do a comparison on life in the 60's compared to the life now.

In the 60's cell phones, video games, personal computers did not exist. Color TV was just becoming available. You bought music on vinyl records or magnetic tape. If you wanted personal moving pictures you needed to use 8 mm or 16 mm film. Several medical procedures did not exist.

In the 60's:
    Buying a nice house took about 5 years salary.
    Buying a car took about 6 months salary.
    Buying a tank of gas cost 1 hour salary.
    Buying 1 year of auto insurance cost 1 day salary.
    Buying 1 month of food cost 4 days salary.
    1 year at a university cost 1 month salary.
    Buying 1 year of health insurance cost 5 days salary.

Now:
    Buying a nice house took about 20 years salary.
    Buying a car took about 1 year salary.
    Buying a tank of gas cost 3 hour salary.
    Buying 1 year of auto insurance cost 10 day salary.
    Buying 1 month of food cost 6 days salary.
    1 year at a university cost 5 month salary.
    Buying 1 year of health insurance cost 20 days salary.

10. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

Average Canadian wage (2016) = $27.00/hr = $1080.00/wk = $4680/mon = $56160.00/yr

We will exclude the Toronto and Vancouver markets

Buying a nice house $320,000/4680 = 68 months
    Buying a car $35,000/4680= 7.5 months
    Buying a tank of gas $50.00/27 = 1.9 hrs
    1 yr auto ins $840/27 = 31 hrs
    1 month food $1000.00/27 = 37hrs
    1 yr university $14,000/4680 = 3 months
    1 yr health insurance = free

using these numbers, we should be way better off today, what hurts is.........

TAX

tax free day is now sometime in July

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

11. Antares

Antares The Famous LTD Doggie

Thank you for working.
    All money went to the appropriate tax agency.
    You still owe $5.00

12. Neophyte

You have the average yearly salary at over $56,000, I figured average salary here at $35,000 and the costs of goods and services are not the same in the U.S. And you need to compare to what the prices were in 1960's.

13. buffyfan

Limp wrist captains? Like Picard? Riker? Captain Malcolm Reynolds?

Insp Gadget likes this.
  14. buffyfan

Nice house? At an average 51k and 20 years, you are saying a nice house costs 1 million now? Not even in Downstate NY. So that one is off. 10-15 at best.

Car would be more like still 6-8 months. A year at average salary is a low end BMW or Vette.

A tank at 3 hours, same average would be 70-75 dollars.

Where are you paying almost 2 grand a year for auto. If you are I will give you a broker to speak to to get that down. Like A LOT. Average person makes almost 200 a DAY.

Food based on that would be almost 1200 for a week. I buy wholesale (from my bar supplier) so I dont know. But my food cost for my BUSINESS is barely 1200 a week.

University is about correct.

Health insurance is correct.

Now, HI is a large issue. That being that these companies stopped prioritizing Health in favor of "ROI for the stock and bond holders". When you are making HUGE profits, no. You dont have to raise prices. You only do that because you want to keep a rising YoY.

15. Insp Gadget

Picard ? Marshmallow
    Riker ?? Pretty Boy
    I have no idea who 'Malcolm' is ... sounds like a Librarian

And furthermore ...

Star Wars Trilogy.jpg :)

16. Neophyte

As I posted to Pussycat I was using $35,000 a year not $51,000.

17. buffyfan

Malcolm is the captain from Firefly/Serenity.

18. bets21

bets21 Trusted Member

is there any trump lovers thread here ? :D

19. Neophyte

There are some Trump threads, but they are probably a few pages back.

20. Lustingmom1

Lustingmom1 I love my son and daughter

With his penchant for ugly women, she certainly seems to be his type :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.