1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

College Students Vote

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by Antares, Jul 27, 2017.

?

College Students should be permitted to vote where they attend school.

Poll closed Aug 3, 2017.
  1. YES

55.6%
  2. NO

44.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antares

Antares The Famous LTD Doggie

Ahh, but they DON"T pay local taxes as in residency, income taxes, school taxes or county taxes. Such taxes if any are assessed at their place of permanent residence which is not the town and county in which they attend school. Another reason for denying them a vote at that location.

2. Antares

By my personal authority I here-by move you to New York.....:D......Trust you'll enjoy your stay.

3. Antares

In not every college town, no, but certainly in large university towns its a definite result. Your law school friends need to look at the local population statistics especially for large university towns.

4. Antares

As you may or may not know, I am employed as a Univ Professor at a large university (aside from my USAFR status) so I have also seen the political pressures applied by certain departments. This is of course is wrong no matter which side is doing it. I have also see where a student populations have dominated the wishes of the local residents which I also view as wrong.

They don't apply such pressure to me cause they know they are wasting their time. AlsoI have full tenured professorship status so they can't exactly cut me loose. I usually just ignore them and go about my business. Also for the past four years, I have been the Dept Chair cause I didn't manage to run out the door fast enough and got selected.

5. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

That is how I got on the Admissions Board for the Law School I teach at. :)

But what I am saying is I have not seen many teachers attempt to force their political views (ie the "Liberal Brainwashing" argument) on students. And if they were too loud about it they will, at least at the schools I have been in over the years, be cut loose tenure or not. You can still be fired for violating actual rules, it is just harder.

Some of the "Brainwashing" crowd just dont like that students are not taught "Your elders are not to be questioned" in school anymore. They dont like that students do not "obey their elders" and "honor how things were in my day". Now remember. We are not talking about teens or children. We are talking about people 18-21 and older who are "brainwashed" because they DARE to question things and refuse to accept "Well that is how it always was. Stop questioning things." as an answer.

6. buffyfan

I understand what you meant. :) I used the direct statement to point out the issue. I would say though, that if you live there for more days than you do at you "permanent residence"? The school is your "residence" for the time you are there.

pussycat likes this.
  7. Antares

That's not really too possible since one would assume you lived at home for the previous 18 yrs. Also the fact the I mentioned earlier that you are taxed by you local residence and not by the university town or county. Therefore you are not a resident of a university town or county.

8. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

This is situational blindness. If you are a liberal and there is liberal bias happening around you, you don't see it because you believe that the situation is just normal behavior. If you are a conservative and there is conservative bias happening, then the same thing. That's why so many liberals watch CNN and they think it's fair reporting but Fox is so prejudice. And conservatives watch Fox and see it as fair new and think CNN is so prejudice. This also applies at colleges and universities, liberals sees it as just normal but conservatives can see the prejudice being applied. You need to distance yourself from either ideologies and look at what is actually happening. If two students of equal intelligence and knowledge gets different grades from one instructor, then either the students weren't equal or the instructor was bias. There are other factors involved but are not relevant to be discussed now.

By the way, I've heard reports where even the people at CNN thought that MSNBC was biased.

9. Antares

I work for a University and the Military. I see only a goofy bias which is why I generally lock myself in my office and pretend I am not there which is even when I am there.:D I do maintain regular office hours as required. :eek: 12:00 to 12:05 AM. No one ever shows up.:rolleyes:

10. Neophyte

It's probably because they are coming on the wrong day. In order to see you on your Monday office hours for your Monday class, they need to show up on Sunday and wait till you open your door.:p

Antares likes this.
  11. Antares

What door? I use a submarine hatch with screen door option. The screen door usually leaks.

Neophyte likes this.
  12. buffyfan

Actually, every school I have attended or taught at? They fired any teacher that, outside of a Poli Sci class, even uttered anything political. And the Poli Sci teachers just gave topics for debate, made sure it stayed civil, and chapters to read at home. The Liberal Bias is a fallacy, in my experience, at the college level. Of course we also had, always, a wide array of speakers. And people were free to protest. But not to demand or petition out a speaker. As pointed out, that is more of a West Coast thing, and may not be as prevalent as the 24 hour news cycle makes it seem. If you are not intently watching, and just say watching in passing, covering the same "Petition to ban" for 4 days can process as multiple different things.

13. buffyfan

OK. So are you paying for the room at the University? Are you paying rent? The latter? You are in fact paying part of the landlord's property tax in your rent. Also, depending on the locality? You actually owe income tax for earnings in the state earned as well. Employers, if there is a state income tax, are remitting to the state they are in. Not the state of "permanent residence".

Also, "They lived in the other place for 18 years"? OK. Well I guess until last year I was voting in the wrong place because I lived in Nassau County longer than Sullivan. Residency is usually measured by where you live for the predominance of the year. Not by "Will you be there long term" or "Where did you live for more of your life".

pussycat likes this.
  14. buffyfan

But my whole issue can be taken care of with E-Vote type where you can vote in CA but it counts to your "Official District". Or a system where absentees MUST be counted in the total. Not "as the State or District chooses to" because many are "well if it is close we will look".

15. Neophyte

I've read too many articles about liberal bias to discount that it does not exist. It may be that you've been lucky enough to not run across it, but its there. I believe I read an account of a major NY university, can't remember the name off hand, whose sociology department is over 90% liberal and since the department needs to vote in new instructors conservatives are always rejected. And protest against conservative speakers happen on the east coast too. I think Condoleezza Rice was protested by students and faculty at Rutgers from giving a commencement speech, Ben Carson at John Hopkins and there are many others. It seems liberals refuse to be exposed to differing ideas.

16. Antares

The only place you can safely find a conservative is in the Science departments.:Dor so it seems. Like I posted above. I mind my own business and ignore protestors and since I can't be fired by the Thought Police i am reasonable safe including when I wear by USAF Uniform which can get some looks at times.

Neophyte likes this.
  17. Antares

I have no problem with that. It would seem to eliminate the problem not to mention various student protestors whose political voice at a University would now be eliminated as well as their mob rule.

18. buffyfan

And every Law School I have ever seen. And most Business Schools as well. I know all of my old Fin professors are. But most would not know that. Because they kept their politics to their personal life.

19. Antares

As it should be. Your personal politics have nothing to do with your job description. I looked at mine and it says nothing about conducting Protests or Teach-in (sort of an an oxymoron anyway cause you aren't inside anything.) or anything like political activities. Well my contract doesn't. Guess I was hired by the wrong department.:D

Vote and keep your political activities off of University property. I though we were supposed to encourage diverging views no matter how bizarre (a sort of free speech zone) at least I though that was the idea. Doesn't seem to be that way does it. If its not political correct its forbidden speech. Sound a bit like Germany 1930 to 1946 doesn't it.

20. Antares

As far as I know dorm room costs reflect only the cost of maintaining the building, employees and providing student support facilities such as the dining halls. Universities are generally tax exempt properties as far as I know. Well State run or supported ones are. Not sure about small private colleges but then their tuition is sky high anyway.

You are right about the residency requirements though. I was mainly referring to the 17 - 25 age groups who for the most part lived with their parents before coming to school. They had long a term residency as such. There are exceptions of course for people are more or less emancipated in that age bracket but they are few and far between.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.