1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Changes needed in the rules to be in Congress and the Senate

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by buffyfan, Jun 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annab2

annab2 Trusted Member"It ain't pretty being easy!"

"My point exactly, We are first and foremost a Republic!" :)

2. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

One that was set up with a Branch INTENTIONALLY not answerable to anything but the Constitution as they see it. Based on "Will of the people"? Segregation goes away when the majority felt it was time. There needs to be something that can say "Um....... NO" to the "Will of the people".

annab2 likes this.
  3. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

I guess that's the essential difference. Up here we're not a republic. We're first and foremost a Democracy.

:)

annab2 likes this.
  4. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

Just a little FYI, in Canada all Justices, supreme court or otherwise, manditory retirement at 75. It seems to work fine for us.
    In the news today, the Chief Justice just announced she will be retiring at the end of the year. She's 73.

annab2 likes this.
  5. skeeter3336

skeeter3336 New Member

I agree with this 100%.

annab2 likes this.
  6. annab2

How about two terms and no retirement entitlement,
    or special privileges!
    Same as an ordinary citizen!

Any corruption carries a mandatory Life sentence!

7. Sarcas

Sarcas Trusted Member

Living in Europe I don't know how the US political system exactly works, but the described problems and the mentioned solutions both seems strange to me.

The problem described is that some politicians are too old and as a result of that lost too much of their mental capacities to do the work they are supposed to do? And ideas are offered to fix this, like age limits and term limits.

But that would prevent perfectly healthy and capable politicians to work as well. So why is that a good solution? Isn't the democratic system able to weed out non-functional politicians? If you can't perform anymore, you don't get votes and disappear from the political stage. Why isn't it working in the US while it is working in other countries?

annab2 likes this.
  8. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

I don't think the problem is that the politicians are too old or lost too much of their mental capacity, even though this is true, but that the politicians have been in their jobs so long that they feel entitled to it and no longer need to work for the benefit of the people. If it was just a straight vote on performance then these politicians would be voted out but there are other factors involved in the elections. And from what I hear and read its not working in other countries either.

pussycat likes this.
  9. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

Mostly right. But McCain is too old. Thurmond was.

10. annab2

Most of what we say doesn't hold water, we are either grousing or trying to be funny, as Politics and Politicians are fair game over here! So, a lot of our bantering is in good-natured fun, or tongue in cheek and shouldn't be construed as serious! People who take their Politics that seriously, usually are escapee's from the Mental Asylum! :)Anna

11. bets21

bets21 Trusted Member

incest should be legal , thats the rules need to change

annab2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.