1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

Another recall

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by longing4sis, Apr 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longing4sis

longing4sis Trusted Member

I saw this today and I want to make everyone aware so that they can stay safe.

Dead Bat Discovered in Salad Mixes Prompts Recalls From Walmart
    Mahita Gajanan
    Fresh Express has recalled a packaged salad mix sold at Walmart stores in the southeastern U.S. after a dead bat was found in containers of the leafy greens sold in Florida.
    The company issued the recall of Organic Marketside Spring Mix on Saturday after two people in Florida reported eating some salad before the bat was found in the box, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The bat was sent to the CDC rabies lab for testing, though researchers could not rule out the deadly virus due to the animal's deteriorated condition.
    The CDC teamed up with the Florida Department of Health and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to investigate the situation. The people who ate the affected salad are being monitored, but are currently in good health without any signs of rabies, the CDC said.
    The packaged salads were sold in a clear container with a best-if-used-by date of April 14. Customers can receive a full refund by contacting the Fresh Express Consumer Response Center.

annab2 likes this.
  2. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

OK, how the hell do you not notice a dead bat in your salad?

:confused::confused:

longing4sis and annab2 like this.
  3. Throwaway3358

Throwaway3358 New Member

Aren't those bags usually clear too? Thought everybody looks in to check if it wasn't bad anyway

4. annab2

annab2 Trusted Member"It ain't pretty being easy!"

I believe they are using a clear preformed rigid plastic container now, there is plenty of room for a solitary bat! They store the full containers in a dark nitrogen rich enclosed environment for an extended period of time, in order to stave off natural process of the decomposition. Most of the garden salad consortiums switched to the rigid plastic containers after consumers found out about the swelling of the soft bags were an indicator that enclosed vegetables were associated with the beginning stages of putrefaction! It's much safer to purchase the whole leafy vegetable in its unpackaged state... Of course, they will never readily admit to the truth!;) Beware of any flora that is pre-packaged and sold as fresh!

pussycat and longing4sis like this.
  5. longing4sis

Well I have been in the grocery store and have watched people just pull it from the shelf and throw it into the buggy. Never even checking the date on it. Although I can kind of see how it could be overlooked if it was a small one and could easily be covered with leafy vegetables that were pack with it, but you would think that the weight would have thrown up a red flag. I bet the person that found it, now checks everything that they buy that is prepackaged.

annab2 likes this.
  6. longing4sis

I know that a lot of them do but there are still a lot of them that use the clear plastic bags because the are cheaper. We still see them in just about every grocery store down here in Texas. I know that the packing companies do use nitrogen to pack in the bag to prolong the produce. Your right about it being safer to purchase the whole vegetable but most of the public at large are more interested in convenience now a days. I just love how the grocery stores say that everything is fresh in the produce section when just about everything in there is several weeks old by the time it reaches the floor of the store. What really makes me laugh is the "Fresh Eggs" those damn things are about a month old when you see them in the store if they weren't they could not be boiled.

7. annab2

Organic proof!;) (LOL!)​

longing4sis likes this.
  8. longing4sis

Yeah, that is another thing that makes me laugh. People will believe anything nowadays. They think just because it has a little sticker or a little band on it that says organic then it is. I need a little more proof than that. Unless you grow it yourself and pull it out of the ground you really don't know for sure.

annab2 likes this.
  9. buffyfan

buffyfan Moderator Staff Member

And Penn and Teller on their show "Bullshit" debunked the Organic myth years ago. They blind tested "organic" fruit vs non organic in a parking lot. Every person picked the NON Organic as being the Organic. because it had "More flavor" "better color" etc.

It is like a lot of Restaurant owners I know. All these, as they put it, "Ijit customers who think that 'Glutten Free' is better". But cant tell the difference. But ordering gluten free lets them jack the price and still serve you the gluten. Because the odds of actually getting an actual Celiac customer is very little.

10. buffyfan

Or my absolute favorite. The killing of my McDonald's fries taste. Until a certain point? They were fried in BEEF FAT. That is why they were so GOOD. Then the Vegie-Vegan Army found out and pissed and moaned because they were not "A vegie option" for them to get.

11. dickshush

dickshush Trusted Member

Don't you know ... It's free protein! Walmart is just being generous :D

12. longing4sis

I don't doubt it for a minute that this sort of stuff happens a lot but they are suppose to be monitored and inspected to insure that this kind of thing doesn't happen.

annab2 likes this.
  13. buffyfan

But the problem is, short of testing random gluten free dishes or a Celiac showing up? No one knows. Truth is this. A lot will have the waiter watch from a distance. If you are eating the bread on the table then order the "gluten free pasta". You are not Celiac. And get "up charged".

14. buffyfan

Now I dont personally. I just tell people dont order pasta. I have no time to entertain 2 menus for HIPSTERS.

15. annab2

Funny, My first thought is about the markup on the less inexpensive foods like bread and pasta! I am not about to pay high rates, on something that costs a few cents to prepare at home! I don't care how many Guilds they belong to, there are tried and true methods in the preparation of food! If you want to ensure the safety of ingredients, stay home, and make it yourself from scratch. That way, it will leave no doubt to the quality of food you desire! Otherwise, it's a crapshoot trying to ascertain which colander is loaded, as to whether or not you're playing Russian Roulette, for your dining pleasure! :) (Yeppers, It's my opinion and I am sticking to it!);)

longing4sis likes this.
  16. Tekro

Tekro Trusted Member

Walmart is maybe not the best place to buy your food... and this proves it...

annab2 likes this.
  17. annab2

Hell-fire! It's not just Wal-Mart! I'll give you an example!
    Potatoes! Since last Fall all of the Potatoes sold in the USA have had
    a tuber disease called "Hollow Heart!"
    (Except for Yukon Gold Potato)

How many times do consumers buy potatoes with a green tinge
    to the peel? Green translates to toxicity in Spuds!

We buy from conglomerates, so the average person is not aware!
    Face it, not many of us are raised on farms, or even have
    Vegetable gardens anymore! Knowlege has been supplanted by
    CONVENIENCE!
    We can do better with a little effort! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.