1. As a guest you have limited access to the forums.
  2. Membership is free.
  3. So why not Sign up now!

A change of pace

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Affairs' started by SecretWishes, Aug 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neophyte

Neophyte Administrator Staff Member

She means Donald Trump.

2. bigjeff

bigjeff Trusted Member

I find SecretWish's thought on a lessening of generational divides interesting. I hadn't taken the time to question my assumption that the generational divides were in fact getting worse. I'll have to consider this more.

I do think that SecretWish and Neophyte are both right. There is clearly a technological component to societal change, but at least in some cases some societal change is necessary to make the technological changes wanted. Which has the greatest effect on the other, that is a good question.

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that people start out liberal and then become more conservative as they get older. It seem like I see a lot more older liberals and younger conservatives now then in the past.

I would take issue with the idea that Trump was elected because people didn't want change. Trump has been the biggest change in politics since the election of Jimmy Carter. I believe the real reason he was elected was because people were tired of business as usual, a government run by the same politicians that have remained in power for decades. For better or worse, he isn't a politician. I just wish we had taken a different avenue of change, like maybe remembering that we have more then two choices on the ballot.

Brutus58 likes this.
  3. pussycat

pussycat Administrator Staff Member

Yes. Donald Trump, Doug Ford, Boris Johnson. Take your pick or add your own. Basically anybody who has taken the "bullshit baffles brains" idiom and rode it to power.

4. pussycat

I understand Neophyte's position, its just as valid. It's the old chicken vs egg scenario, either one is right depending on the scenario.
    Going back to my dark ages period, the only real advances were in warfare. You build a stronger castle, I have to build a bigger catapult, and so on. But in the end, unless you're grossly outnumbered, the better technology always wins out.
    But that's a bit off topic.

:)

Brutus58 and SecretWishes like this.
  5. pussycat

In the US thats probably true, some others also. Definately not here.

There's a lot of factors at play. The peace and love generation didn't all swing right, a lot of them have stuck to their beliefs. Then you have the disaffected youth who think being a neo-nazi skinhead is the in thing.

If I were American I'd probably vote for Mickey Mouse at this stage. I mean Donald Duck isn't working out too well.

:rolleyes:

bigjeff likes this.
  6. SecretWishes

SecretWishes Trusted.Member

Excellent points... I may need to reconsider my stance on things...

bigjeff likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.